Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRONT TIRE WEAR

Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TIRE WEAR

HELLO y'all....
    TIRE WEAR on the front tires... how many people are having an issue with UNEVEN TIRE WEAR up front? also, where are they wearing out fastest: inside or outside edges...?
    i'm thinking BRP should be looking into this if it's a systemic problem with a majority of SPYD3R's...

if you reply, state the model & year which you ride; GS/RS, ST or RT... that way we can see if the problem is with only one model or year, or with all models and years...

thx for your consideration and help...
    013.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    HELLO y'all....
    TIRE WEAR on the front tires... how many people are having an issue with UNEVEN TIRE WEAR up front? also, where are they wearing out fastest: inside or outside edges...?
    i'm thinking BRP should be looking into this if it's a systemic problem with a majority of SPYD3R's...

if you reply, state the model & year which you ride; GS/RS, ST or RT... that way we can see if the problem is with only one model or year, or with all models and years...

thx for your consideration and help...
    013.jpg
    Hi , i had the same problem on my rs and rt
    the solution is you have to find a good tech to
    the alignment on you're Spyder. The one I found
    he do the alignment on all wheel rear one first
    and front one and they check front bushing.
    my front tire have 30,000 km
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post
    Hi , i had the same problem on my rs and rt
    the solution is you have to find a good tech to
    the alignment on you're Spyder. The one I found
    he do the alignment on all wheel rear one first
    and front one and they check front bushing.
    my front tire have 30,000 km
    merci, mon ami...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is stated in the Owner's Manual that it is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how it is driven and the road conditions.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default To many variables..!!

But we have a 2012 RS with BajaRon sway bar and stock shock with 8,500 miles and no significant wear. It is all even across. We ryde Southern California back roads, mountain roads lot of twisties and some freeways...hope this helps...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WEAR ISSUES

Since I'm fortunate enough to have two I can give you a direct comparision......My 08 GS never had any type of ALIGNMENT / FRONT END WORK it did suffer from inside tire wear and the OEM tires only lasted 14,505 miles............My 2011 RSS also " " " " " " " " But it now has 15,575 miles, the minimal amount of wear is even across the tread and I think 30,000 + is very possible.....Now both are ridden the same , by the same person in the same area's......It can't get any more equal than that......So why the BIG difference in Mileage numbers......My theory is The RSS was built on a Wed. by very competant people ....the GS not so much.......The Factory sets the alignment, not the DEALER.......So if your Spyder was shipped with the correct alignment you are lucky....Because an awful lot of Dealers can't do them and it's a shame........PS with some helpful Info from the SPYDERLOVERS GURU ( I cna't name Him ) I adjusted my GS alignment without any measuring at all .....just added some toe-in a little at a time and it worked .......Mike

Spyder Garage

If you remember my post in early December on my 2012 RT/LTD, I had a serious issue of toe in tire wear on both tires at 5,700 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It is stated in the Owner's Manual that it is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how it is driven and the road conditions.
    Now that doesn't sound right????

Spyder Garage

My right side tire has inside wear. How do I go about adjusting the toe-in?

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Since I'm fortunate enough to have two I can give you a direct comparision......My 08 GS never had any type of ALIGNMENT / FRONT END WORK it did suffer from inside tire wear and the OEM tires only lasted 14,505 miles............My 2011 RSS also " " " " " " " " But it now has 15,575 miles, the minimal amount of wear is even across the tread and I think 30,000 + is very possible.....Now both are ridden the same , by the same person in the same area's......It can't get any more equal than that......So why the BIG difference in Mileage numbers......My theory is The RSS was built on a Wed. by very competant people ....the GS not so much.......The Factory sets the alignment, not the DEALER.......So if your Spyder was shipped with the correct alignment you are lucky....Because an awful lot of Dealers can't do them and it's a shame........PS with some helpful Info from the SPYDERLOVERS GURU ( I cna't name Him ) I adjusted my GS alignment without any measuring at all .....just added some toe-in a little at a time and it worked .......Mike
    Mike
    I was lucky my 2011 RS-S alignment was right on and my tires wear even. I set my tire pressure using a laser thermometer to check the tire contact to the road. Also keep the front end greased. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

My 09 GS was wearing on the Front tires inside by 7,000 Miles so I rotated and got about 16,000 before replacing- The New tires with the Elka shocks added are wearing Very well at 26,000 miles so I,m Happy!!!

The 2012 RT tires are Very even in wear at 6,000 Miles so I think it was made on a Good Day!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Mileage at 17,800 and mine looks looks good. ( 2010 RT). No alignment problems.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

While it is possible to get uneven tire wear if you ride the curves hard enough for enough miles, it is no more 'Normal' to have uneven tire wear on your Spyder than it would be on your car. If you are not constantly flogging your Spyder up and down a very twisted road, and you have uneven tire wear, then you have a front end alignment issue and the wear is not normal.

Wear on the inside of the tire comes from too much toe-out. Wear on the outside of the tire comes from too much toe-in. You can't Micky Mouse the adjustment and have any hope of getting it right. It has to be done following a very specific and meticulous process of measurement and adjustment.

The problem can also be created by worn or broken suspension parts which affect alignment.

If your Spyder is right, your front tires will wear evenly, regardless of what the manual says.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

There is how they do it at the dealer where I go

Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

2011 RT AC. At about 6000 miles had wear on right inside of tire. Was told to rotate them. I did and now have about 14000 and I need new tires. I think I'm going with car tires.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    2011 RT AC. At about 6000 miles had wear on right inside of tire. Was told to rotate them. I did and now have about 14000 and I need new tires. I think I'm going with car tires.
    Rotation does not fix alignment. You simply move the poor tire wear to a different tire. Going to car tires won't fix the problem either. The only fix is getting the front end correctly aligned. A good idea before putting new tires on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Rotation does not fix alignment. You simply move the poor tire wear to a different tire. Going to car tires won't fix the problem either. The only fix is getting the front end correctly aligned. A good idea before putting new tires on.
    Dealer said it was normal. Do I scream until they align it? I'm always afraid it could be made worse and I won't know until it wears out my tires. If I can put on car tires and get 20,000 miles I'd be happy. I really don't know what to do with it. I've gotten to the point where I really just don't want to fight with the dealer. If he says it doesn't need alignment and I say it does, would you want to have to pay him to do something that he says it doesn't need?

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealer said it was normal. Do I scream until they align it? I'm always afraid it could be made worse and I won't know until it wears out my tires. If I can put on car tires and get 20,000 miles I'd be happy. I really don't know what to do with it. I've gotten to the point where I really just don't want to fight with the dealer. If he says it doesn't need alignment and I say it does, would you want to have to pay him to do something that he says it doesn't need?
    I would find another dealer, but then I am an hour ride from 6 different dealerships and a great mechanic.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

My 09 GS wore the inner half of both front tires. Worse on the right one that the left. One dealer said the alignment was in spec and gave me the aggressive riding story. Well, I had done a fair amount of mountain twisties so I didn't argue. At about 9500 miles I put new car tires on and had a different dealer check the alignment. He said it was significantly 'out'. So far the new tires look like new but I'm only at 12K miles. Unless you ride really hard I'd say it is an alignment issue. On a 2 wheeler you'd be scraping the pegs and watching those chicken scratches on the side of your tires. I do miss that at times but, hey, I'm still riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    While it is possible to get uneven tire wear if you ride the curves hard enough for enough miles, it is no more 'Normal' to have uneven tire wear on your Spyder than it would be on your car. If you are not constantly flogging your Spyder up and down a very twisted road, and you have uneven tire wear, then you have a front end alignment issue and the wear is not normal.

Wear on the inside of the tire comes from too much toe-out. Wear on the outside of the tire comes from too much toe-in. You can't Micky Mouse the adjustment and have any hope of getting it right. It has to be done following a very specific and meticulous process of measurement and adjustment.

The problem can also be created by worn or broken suspension parts which affect alignment.

If your Spyder is right, your front tires will wear evenly, regardless of what the manual says.
    Owners should also understand that the alignment changes with loading and with spring preload settings...especially on the 2010-2012 RT. Heavy riders or those who have not increased their preload (or switched to aftermarket shocks) will be more likely to see toe-out. There is a lot of variation in the factory alignments, too...and the early (2008-2010) toe-in spec was not enough and was increased in 2011.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I definitely feel your pain. I don't have a solution for a dealer that won't, or can't fix the problem.

It's more than just bad tire wear. If the alignment isn't right your steering and straight ahead stability is going to suffer as well as gas mileage.

Many dealers don't know how, or do not have the equipment to properly align the Spyder. So no, I would not pressure that dealership to do an alignment because you will probably be disappointed. But it is a shame that the 'Fix' offered is to continue to buy more tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool '08 GS

My GS is loaded with aftermarket bags and top box and windshield... I've added '11 RT front shocks and an RT rear shock that is one inch longer than the original... I also have the early sway bar installed... I run 20 psi in the front tires and at 16+K miles, they still look new... SPYD3R just shakes his head and walks away...lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do I even DARE mention Camber? I know that there are a couple of tinkerers in here who have played with it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CAMBER ? ?! ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do I even DARE mention Camber? I know that there are a couple of tinkerers in here who have played with it...
    Bob, I have and honestly it made only a very slight difference......As I stated above in this thread....Even the OEM Kenda tires ( which IMHO are not the best choice ) are capable of 25,000 + miles ...ON THE FRONT.....Car tires maybe 50,000 miles ...BUT the alignment has to be PERFECT or darn close to it......For some reason the geometry of the front suspension is not effected by CAMBER CHANGE which I consider strange......I wonder how much that LAZER alignment set-up is ? ? ? ?.....LaMont ? ? ?

Spyder Garage

09 GS Florida 23k + miles replaced

left front twice
    right front once
    Rear once
    both front wore out on the inside tread.

i bought the spyder in 2011 with 1300 miles on it.

my dealer says they can fix it and that's a toe issue but there is a 450 labor fee attached to it.
    I'm considering getting an ST so I'll just wait...
    BIOSAB