Spyder Garage

Angry My first problem-cracked head pipe!

Ok, so I opened up the left side of my 2013 RTS SE5 (I bought it 4/10/2013), thinking I would wrap the head pipe. Much to my amazement I saw a crack in the left head pipe right where it passes under the gas tank! That can't be good. I only have 4850 miles on the Spyder. I will call BRP first to see if it is covered under the warranty (I doubt it). Then I have to call my dealer to see if they have one or whether it has to be ordered to be replaced. Any thoughts on whether this is something covered by warranty? It seems to me that after 4850 miles this should not happen. Either way, it has to be fixed. I also plan to have the pipe wrapped before it is put back on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Ok, so I opened up the left side of my 2013 RTS SE5 (I bought it 4/10/2013), thinking I would wrap the head pipe. Much to my amazement I saw a crack in the left head pipe right where it passes under the gas tank! That can't be good. I only have 4850 miles on the Spyder. I will call BRP first to see if it is covered under the warranty (I doubt it). Then I have to call my dealer to see if they have one or whether it has to be ordered to be replaced. Any thoughts on whether this is something covered by warranty? It seems to me that after 4850 miles this should not happen. Either way, it has to be fixed. I also plan to have the pipe wrapped before it is put back on the Spyder.
    Warranty should not be much of a "debate"? Of course assuming you didn't hook a tow chain to the pipe to pull the Spyder out of a mud bog? Yikes the 2013 issues just keep on a comin don't they?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Warranty should not be much of a "debate"? Of course assuming you didn't hook a tow chain to the pipe to pull the Spyder out of a mud bog? Yikes the 2013 issues just keep on a comin don't they?
    No tow chains involved. Common sense tells me that for a header to be cracked under 5000 miles, there was a defective part or it was cracked from the beginning. There is no doubt in my mind that it should be covered under the warranty...but that's just my opinion. We'll see.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Yes i have seen cracked head pipes at the weld joint and i believe that it was covered by warentee infact there was a pick of one that was temperally made with a can and two clamps to get them home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Yes i have seen cracked head pipes at the weld joint and i believe that it was covered by warentee infact there was a pick of one that was temperally made with a can and two clamps to get them home.
    This crack is not at a weld joint. It is in the middle of the pipe at the point where it curves under the gas tank. My thought is that the pipe cracked when it was bent into shape and was that way when installed onto the Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This crack is not at a weld joint. It is in the middle of the pipe at the point where it curves under the gas tank. My thought is that the pipe cracked when it was bent into shape and was that way when installed onto the Spyder.
    The pipe breaking at the first weld was fairly common in the 2010 Rts (mine broke completely in two) but I've only heard of one in the later years. Yours is obviously a different situation and the first of this type I've seen posted. A photo would be interesting.

Your pipe certainly should be covered under warranty. Mine was and as far as I know all of the 2010s were if they were still covered.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    The pipe breaking at the first weld was fairly common in the 2010 Rts (mine broke completely in two) but I've only heard of one in the later years. Yours is obviously a different situation and the first of this type I've seen posted. A photo would be interesting.

Your pipe certainly should be covered under warranty. Mine was and as far as I know all of the 2010s were if they were still covered.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    I was so irritated when I saw it, I did not think to take a picture. I doubt I will take the Tupperware back off before going to the dealer, but I will try to get a picture.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes having a "Crack Head Pipe" is a problem and illegal in most states. Sorry about your exhaust, hope BRP steps forward, there have been a few of these reported now.

Spyder Garage

Default Seen several..!!

here recently. There may be a manufacturing problem in the bending as well as the welding. BRP would have to check with their suppliers if that is the case. But for sure it is covered under warranty. Not much you can do to cause this...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Boy I'm sure glad that I bought a 2012 instead of a 2013. There just seems to be a lot of problems with the 2013's so far. I would think that it should be covered also. I know all manufactures have some problems, but the 2013's have more than their share.

Spyder Garage

Default cracked header pipe

Sorry about problems with your new RTS.

What keeps coming back to me is this the possible cause for the RT fire with the demo RT on the web ?

Hope they get your ryde fixed soon

[

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Boy I'm sure glad that I bought a 2012 instead of a 2013. There just seems to be a lot of problems with the 2013's so far. I would think that it should be covered also. I know all manufactures have some problems, but the 2013's have more than their share.

Eh Hem. My 2010 RT-S had the very same issue, at 23,000 miles and 2 years and 1 week after purchase. The issue was covered by my RPM One extended warranty.

My 2013 RT-S has not had any issues (knock on wood) whatsoever, save the ball joint issue which was fixed immediately. Not all 2013's are having problems.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Should be covered by warranty, no problem...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Eh Hem. My 2010 RT-S had the very same issue, at 23,000 miles and 2 years and 1 week after purchase. The issue was covered by my RPM One extended warranty.

My 2013 RT-S has not had any issues (knock on wood) whatsoever, save the ball joint issue which was fixed immediately. Not all 2013's are having problems.

Chris
    My 2012 RT had very minimal problems, my 2013 Rt has had no problems yet, i love it.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Good news, it is covered by Warranty

I just got back from my dealer. The mechanic looked at it and said, yes you have a crack in the header pipe, and that it is covered by the warranty. I had taken some lava heat wrap and covered the area and clamped it on. They have to order the replacement so I can wait on that. Attached is a picture of the wound..

Spyder Garage

I just got back from my dealer. The mechanic looked at it and said, yes you have a crack in the header pipe, and that it is covered by the warranty. I had taken some lava heat wrap and covered the area and clamped it on. They have to order the replacement so I can wait on that. Attached is a picture of the wound..
    Attachment does not work. I would like to see it can you try again. Maybe the file size is too big.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd try on the picture

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Attachment does not work. I would like to see it can you try again. Maybe the file size is too big.
    Here is another try on the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here is another try on the picture
    Thanks for the picture. That certainly is very different than what I experienced with my 2010.

Chris, when you said "exactly the same thing" happened to your 2010 did you mean a cracked head pipe like Huddleston experienced or the break at the first weld typical of the 2010s? I don't mean to be picky but I've been attempting to keep track of exhaust pipe problems since the one on my 2010 broke in two Thanks.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net