Thread: Gettysburg

Spyder Garage

Default Gettysburg

Anyone going to Gettysburg this coming week??? Would be fun to link up and chat while we are there......we've come a long way...Great Falls, Mt....

howard

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

You went the wrong way...we are to far southwest...!! hope you have a great time and find some folks out there..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Some pictures from Gettysburg

100_2965.jpg100_3014.jpg100_3033.jpg

We went to Gettysburg last year. These are just a few pictures.
    Pennsylvania Monument where General Meade was stationed. Little Round Top General Warren,
    Cemetery Hill
    Last edited by OldDog; 06-30-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

War of Yankee aggression! From Occupied Georgia!

Spyder Garage

My last trip was for the 135th anniversary battle of Gettysburg reenactment. I enjoyed the sites of both sides. Still the outcome was the same. It was closest feeling I would get to what my Great-great grand father James S. Stoker went through back then serving the 11th Alabama coE. A lot of American lives were lost that day, God bless them all.

Spyder Garage

I will not be there. I have been there several times. Really enjoy it. Best way to see the battleground is by horseback, in my opinion. Gives you a different perspective of the area from the back of a horse. I have rode it all, & some sections multiple times. If you set a horse and do ride part or all of it let us know what you think.

Spyder Garage

On one of my trips to Gettysburg, I went on a tour with James McPherson, who wrote Battle Cry of Freedom (Pulitzer prize winner). An amazing experience, especially walking across the field tracing Pickett's charge. We (40) starting out across the field side by side and every once in a while he would tell some of us to stop walking - we were "down" and then we saw that only one or two actually made it to the road, the rest were scattered over our line of march (walk).
    Very, very sobering.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    My last trip was for the 135th anniversary battle of Gettysburg reenactment. I enjoyed the sites of both sides. Still the outcome was the same. It was closest feeling I would get to what my Great-great grand father James S. Stoker went through back then serving the 11th Alabama coE. A lot of American lives were lost that day, God bless them all.
    I was a reenactor in the 135th anniversary battle, with the 49th Ga Infantry, the unit my great great grandfather served in. Had to give up reenacting several years ago, getting too old and too fat to look authentic!

Spyder Garage

Today's paper said they expect in the neighbood of 10,000 renactors on-hand at Gettysburg this week!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For the 135th Anniversary there were 33,000 reenactors. For the final battle of Picketts Charge there were the exact number of participants that actually were in the battle, 14,000+ Confederates and 9,000 Union. For me it was like going back in time!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    For the 135th Anniversary there were 33,000 reenactors. For the final battle of Picketts Charge there were the exact number of participants that actually were in the battle, 14,000+ Confederates and 9,000 Union. For me it was like going back in time!
    I would love to have seen that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Each one of the reenactors was given a slip of paper telling him whether he would be shot or wounded and where he was supposed to fall. This was to try to provide a realistic portrayal for the spectators. In the real battle only a few thousand Southerners made it back to their lines after the assault. I was lucky enough to be one of them in the reenactment. It was a very sobering experience trying to step over 12,000 bodies covering the field of battle, twice once going forward and then again in retreat. As a Combat vet it was very hard to take even though it was totally different from my own experience. We really don't have a true idea of the pure Hell those boys on both sides went through.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I've got pictures of it, I was captured at Pickett's charge, I took some awesome pictures of it, will share soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Each one of the reenactors was given a slip of paper telling him whether he would be shot or wounded and where he was supposed to fall. This was to try to provide a realistic portrayal for the spectators. In the real battle only a few thousand Southerners made it back to their lines after the assault. I was lucky enough to be one of them in the reenactment. It was a very sobering experience trying to step over 12,000 bodies covering the field of battle, twice once going forward and then again in retreat. As a Combat vet it was very hard to take even though it was totally different from my own experience. We really don't have a true idea of the pure Hell those boys on both sides went through.
    i was one of those who were chosen to be captured, I took some awesome pictures behind the yank's line. I was part of the Alabama Division.

Spyder Garage

Default Gettysburg, The Movie

I have the movie Gettysburg. I bought it right after visiting the battlefield. Everything was fresh in my mind. It gave me a great respect and perspective.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    i was one of those who were chosen to be captured, I took some awesome pictures behind the yank's line. I was part of the Alabama Division.
    Absolute controlled bedlam! But an unforgettable experience!

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Local papers from the Gettysburg area as saying 20,000+ reenactors and 500,000 visitors expected over the next week.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Robert E. Lee Memorial and point of Pickett's charge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Major spyder View Post
    Anyone going to Gettysburg this coming week??? Would be fun to link up and chat while we are there......we've come a long way...Great Falls, Mt....

howard
    Will be unable to get away from work in time to join the "Pickett's Charge" walk on the 3rd, but will be at the "Voices of Gettysburg" evening wrap up that evening. I live about 1 hr away. How long in the week are you staying? -Denny
    NHL Hockey - Still the greatest game on earth! Let's Go Flyers!
    2012 RT Limited, Lava Bronze / Tan "Scootie", Ultimate seat and other goodies.
    2016 Voltage 3970, Full Paint and all options
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, 6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10 Tow Monster
    The old rig, the ride and the RAM CTD at KOA, Spyderfest 2013 & 2014 (same camp site!)