Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing exhaust spring and melted cylinder

Mark took the panels off the ST and wrapped the left exhaust pipe...found no spring attached to exhaust to hold it together resize2.jpgthen when we took panels off right side we found a melted brake cylinder resize1.jpgwhat to do...sent a file of pics and explanations to BRP and my dealer

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Ouch!!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing a lot of these.

As for the spring, the heat sent that one for a trip down the road.

All BRP is doing at this point is sending replacement parts for the melted and missing ones. Which just melt and go missing again. Not sure how long it'll take before they have a real fix ready for us. (they wouldn't tell me)

Please be extra careful 2013 owners.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Friday bike, indeed...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will add this to the list of things to have my dealer check when I take mine in on the 11th. They will be replacing the parking brake cable which melted and also putting on new shocks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I know how you feel

I went thur 8 months of crap till my bike is up to rideing now the headset still don't work right but its rideable BRP just don't get it with quality and service to be over looked at the dealer level as well as their quality were seeing they care about the sale more then the service and quality and we suffer to make pymts while its being serviced or repaired but hopefully it get fixed for you soon be happy its still under warrentee thanks Rich

Spyder Garage

Diane & Billy Huddleston just had problems with a melted master cylinder, too, Flamingobabe, on their new ST (that they purchased at Spyderfest) . They also had the same electrical problem you had with the wire resting on the rear tire. Their ST is currently at the shop with brake failure codes.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

I smell a recall.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 STl limited at dealer right now also. Was throwing multiple codes. Brake assembly fried as well ad 6 month old battery due to heat issues. Tried to tell me not to ride too close to other cars and avoid stop and go traffic. Give my a freakin brake, I live in Houston Texas. Will give them a chance but if not satisfied can keep their bike as I will not make another payment on a bike that I cannot ride in the heat where summer last 8-9 months here.

Spyder Garage

Default Melted

FB, my master cylinder cap also melted. Dealer will replace under warranty. Only fix I can think of at this time is to wrap the exhaust pipe and apply reflective heat tape on the new plastic cap. Hopefully, BRP will come up with a permanent fix.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I hope, for everyone's sake that has an ST, that BRP takes notice and fixes the problems.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're going to start seeing a lot of these.

As for the spring, the heat sent that one for a trip down the road.

All BRP is doing at this point is sending replacement parts for the melted and missing ones. Which just melt and go missing again. Not sure how long it'll take before they have a real fix ready for us. (they wouldn't tell me)

Please be extra careful 2013 owners.
    I don't know.. my guess is was never installed. We found 3 body panel screws and 2 push pins missing when we got in there..plus 2 of the clips that the screws go into were missing... All of this on the left side.... some one was asleep on the job at BRP....at least on the port side...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    I don't know.. my guess is was never installed. We found 3 body panel screws and 2 push pins missing when we got in there..plus 2 of the clips that the screws go into were missing... All of this on the left side.... some one was asleep on the job at BRP....at least on the port side...
    Mark sorry to hear she having problems like this, hope they get this fixed asap,
    shame for a new machine you think they would at least have the assembly down pat by now
    Greg
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    OJT...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

All I know is that if you have things melting under normal operating conditions you better be coming up with a solution fast BRP before someone gets seriously injured!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 Limited didn't have a spring on the left side either. There was a thread that someone said left side did not have springs installed.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default another problem

and just think BRP thinks a once a year dinner is gonna make us all happy and forget about the poor quality problems that so many bikes are having on the new bikes at a high price were paying and dealer neglect

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I hope, for everyone's sake that has an ST, that BRP takes notice and fixes the problems.
    I think someone should forward their findings to BRP and the NHTSA, seriously. These failures are a BRP design fault, not something that is normal operating conditions.

You don't buy a car expecting the brakes to fail because the master cylinder melts. You shouldn't accept that in a bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't the dealer have done a pre-delivery inspection (PDI). I know here in Canada we pay a hefty price for a PDI. If stuff is missing on the bike it should have been picked up by the dealer. They dropped the ball.

Spyder Garage

I agree that these incidents need to be reported to the NHTSA. This is a serious matter...life and death if you think about it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    OJT...
    Not a problem with OJT... but they need to be awake for it....

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I think someone should forward their findings to BRP and the NHTSA, seriously. These failures are a BRP design fault, not something that is normal operating conditions.

You don't buy a car expecting the brakes to fail because the master cylinder melts. You shouldn't accept that in a bike.
    I sent an email with pics to BRP we'll see what happens

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

sorry to hear of new issues but glad you caught them when you did. Hope they come around and fix this and get you back on the road...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default No spring

Thanks for your detailed post. I will inspect my master cylinder in the next couple days just to be safe. I looked up the parts fiche to see the assembly and found that the left side does not take a spring, but the right side does. So it looks like it is not missing. Still seems odd to me.

st exhaust.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

that's odd. no spring on the parts diagram, but you can see the wire loops where it goes.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!