Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Smooth as a Baby's Butt !

As many of you have already read, I've been dealing with an very annoying front end shaking for several months now. The entire saga can be found here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50721-Finished-lots-of-upgrades-and-farkles-and-now-have-Front-End-Wobble&p=601312&viewfull=1#post601312

Well four days ago in a fit of desperation I ordered new tires. I ordered General Altimax 185/60R14 that some of the other forum members are using. They are a direction tread much like the factory tires and get good reviews here on the forum. Walmart had them on-line with store pick-up for $69 each. Today when I got home from my day job I had an email from Walmart saying my tires were ready for pickup. So, I called the store at 5:30 and asked what time the auto service closed. they told me 7 PM. I said I will be there in 30 minutes to get my tires installed and balanced. I ran upstairs, changed cloths, ran to the garage and jacked the Spyder up and removed both front wheels, threw them into the back of my truck and headed the 11 miles to Walmart. I arrived at the automotive service counter at 5:59. Told the lady I want to have my new tires mounted and balanced right away. 36 minutes and $22 later I headed north to go home and put my new tires on the Spyder. Just as I pulled up to my garage it started to rain....... HARD! I got the tires and myself inside and began the installation. It wasn't mush harder to wiggle the larger tires on than the factory ones. And, I did not have to install any spacers on the fender bolts. Within 15 minutes the Spyder was ready for a road test. By now the rain was so loud on the metal roof of the garage I couldn't hear anything and is was coming down so hard I couldn't see my truck that was 20 feet out the door. It kept raining like that for the next 1 1/2 hours. It finally stopped around 9 PM, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I headed out for my road test. My driveway was flooded. There were even fish swimming in it. They must have washed out of my pond. A large portion of the road out of my place was covered with lots of water, so I headed to the 4 lane state highway. When I hit the highway I started slowly picking up speed not knowing what to expect. 30....... 40 ......... 48... 49.. 50... 51.. 52... 60 ... 70.... 75... 65... 60.. The roads were pretty wet an 75 was fast enough. . The best part was NO SHAKING! Nada! Nothing!. It was as smooth as a baby's butt And, WOW ! Do those tires grab the road surface! Unbelievable control.

Here is a picture of my driveway, you can't see the fish though. You'll have to take my word for it. And the other is the new tires on the Spyder.

Driveway Flood.jpgNew Tires.jpg
    Last edited by DR Buck; 06-29-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    As many of you have already read, I've been dealing with an very annoying front end shaking for several months now. The entire saga can be found here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post601312

Well four days ago in a fit of desperation I ordered new tires. I ordered General Altimax 185/60R14 that some of the other forum members are using. They are a direction tread much like the factory tires and get good reviews here on the forum. Walmart had them on-line with store pick-up for $69 each. Today when I got home from my day job I had an email from Walmart saying my tires were ready for pickup. So, I called the store at 5:30 and asked what time the auto service closed. they told me 7 PM. I said I will be there in 30 minutes to get my tires installed and balanced. I ran upstairs, changed cloths, ran to the garage and jacked the Spyder up and removed both front wheels, threw them into the back of my truck and headed the 11 miles to Walmart. I arrived at the automotive service counter at 5:59. Told the lady I want to have my new tires mounted and balanced right away. 36 minutes and $22 later I headed north to go home and put my new tires on the Spyder. Just as I pulled up to my garage it started to rain....... HARD! I got the tires and myself inside and began the installation. It wasn't mush harder to wiggle the larger tires on than the factory ones. And, I did not have to install any spacers on the fender bolts. Within 15 minutes the Spyder was ready for a road test. By now the rain was so loud on the metal roof of the garage I couldn't hear anything and is was coming down so hard I couldn't see my truck that was 20 feet out the door. It kept raining like that for the next 1 1/2 hours. It finally stopped around 9 PM, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I headed out for my road test. My driveway was flooded. There were even fish swimming in it. They must have washed out of my pond. A large portion of the road out of my place was covered with lots of water, so I headed to the 4 lane state highway. When I hit the highway I started slowly picking up speed not knowing what to expect. 30....... 40 ......... 48... 49.. 50... 51.. 52... 60 ... 70.... 75... 65... 60.. The roads were pretty wet an 75 was fast enough. . The best part was NO SHAKING! Nada! Nothing!. It was as smooth as a baby's butt And, WOW ! Do those tires grab the road surface! Unbelievable control.

Here is a picture of my driveway, you can't see the fish though. You'll have to take my word for it. And the other is the new tires on the Spyder.

Driveway Flood.jpgNew Tires.jpg
    Dr. Buck, those new tires, are they the same exact size of the originals and intended for motorcycles or are they car tires? Just curious, as I want to put different tires on my 2013 RT, but they have 15 inch rims on front.

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by diesel-dawg View Post
    Dr. Buck, those new tires, are they the same exact size of the originals and intended for motorcycles or are they car tires? Just curious, as I want to put different tires on my 2013 RT, but they have 15 inch rims on front.
    Car tires. Stock tires are 165/65-14

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

There are a few different tires out there that fit the fronts. I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

know you've been suffering with this problem for some time. Glad you conquered it..congrats..enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had an opportunity last night to test my new General Altima tires for a second time. Well, just like the first road test, it rained, then it rained some more. My ride was about 90 miles round trip. Did I mention it rained? Anyway, the tires handled FANTASTIC! Very smooth ride with no shaking at all. The most amazing thing I noticed is how these things hold the road. It's almost like they grab the surface. This is most likely a combination of being slightly wider and the stiffer sidewalls. I have the air pressure at 24 lbs, and I think I'll keep it there.

I highly recommend these tires. For $69 each you will be hard pressed to find something better.

My Mods -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you've found the solution!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Could someone advise....

If the same size 185/60/14 will work for 2009 GS model? Thanks in advance

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Glad you got rid of the vibration, that little bit of extra tire on the ground and stiffer sidewalls make a big difference in the handling, good price too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    If the same size 185/60/14 will work for 2009 GS model? Thanks in advance
    It'll work...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black