Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap on 2013 RT Ltd

Since getting my spyder serviced at the 600 mile mark, I am having trouble getting my gas cap off when the bike is hot. It continuously clicks counter clockwise and clockwise. With persistence, I am able to get it to finally click. The cap is also extremely hot to touch. Was not way prior to the service. Does this mean the gas is boiling, causing the cap to be difficult to remove? Any help is appreciated.

Ken

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by diesel-dawg View Post
    Since getting my spyder serviced at the 600 mile mark, I am having trouble getting my gas cap off when the bike is hot. It continuously clicks counter clockwise and clockwise. With persistence, I am able to get it to finally click. The cap is also extremely hot to touch. Was not way prior to the service. Does this mean the gas is boiling, causing the cap to be difficult to remove? Any help is appreciated.

Ken
    I lubed the '0' ring and have had no problems. Will relube intermitantly. Just a thought.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    I lubed the '0' ring and have had no problems. Will relube intermitantly. Just a thought.
    Did you have the same problem prior to you lubing it? What did you use to lube it and how did you do the lubing? Does your gas cap get very hot to the touch? Thanks

2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Silly cone.....(silicone). Applied before it went on the first time. No problems and no hotter than the rest of the stuff. I wear gloves when removing it. Not because of the heat. Just wear deerskin all summer.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-27-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Silly cone.....(silicone). Applied before it went on the first time. No problems and no hotter than the rest of the stuff. I wear gloves when removing it. Not because of the heat. Just wear deerskin all summer.
    Thank you for your advice. Will give this a try.

2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Just a sugestion if your cap is clicking while taking it off u should consider replacing it most caps are made to click when tight not so much loosning them it may be on its way out.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Should not click in both directions. Have you tried pressing down when loosening..?? If your tank is pressurizing might have to check the venting. Now that the weather is getting hotter try to fill up more often, the less gas the faster it can heat up. I would stop by your shop and have them check it out if it started after their work...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ken
    I had the same problem with my gas cap within two weeks of buying my spyder.
    I was away from home in Gatlinberg.
    I went to a Wal Mart and bought a new cap for $4.99 and it's been great since then.

Replace it before it fails entirely and you won't be able to remove it without tools.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Just a sugestion if your cap is clicking while taking it off u should consider replacing it most caps are made to click when tight not so much loosning them it may be on its way out.
    Mike
    And it should certainly be covered by the warranty.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Our 13' clicks only when you tighten

have not noticed the cap any hotter than anything around it. I would have the dealer order one because I would think there is an issue with the way it is now operating. I would not use any cap except from BRP for a Spyder, as the cap likely is designed for it. I very much dislike the smell of fuel in our garage after coming in from a ride, and for $30K I should not have to leave it outside..... We have found if we keep the tank close to full it is better, but the fuel smell is still there.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

thank you for the advice, all. I am going to talk to the dealer, and also lube it with silicone. You are correct...not take a chance getting stranded while trying to filling up.

2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I personally do not think a gas cap should be very hot to touch! I would have the dealer check why the cap is that hot?
    Last edited by Netminder; 06-28-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

new 2013 RT Limited owner - as of last Saturday 6/29... got the gas fumes in the garage issue upon returning home from a ride also... outside temp during ride - about 80 degrees, last 20 miles of ride was "easy" 50-55 mph... engine temp gauge reading normal about 3 o'clock or a little below while moving. Pulled into the garage, went inside, took off helmet, take a leak, dress down to the "fat pants", etc. Come back out to garage to get some stuff out of the trunks..whoa... who dumped the gas in the garage?! Quickly and easily trace the source of the fumes to the new Spydy.. raise the seat, grab the gas cap - just because I discovered this website/forum before taking delivery and read the "boiling fuel" thread - and the cap is hot enough you can not comfortably hold it for more than a second or so.

I believe BRP has a major design flaw with heat from the catalytic converter sitting right below the fuel tank - just my opin at this point. It was close to an hour before it quit vaporizing the fuel in the tank into the air of my garage. I wonder how much liquid gold (a.k.a. gasoline) went up in fumes during this episode!! I kept checking it to make sure it hadn't burst into flames... this is a class action lawsuit against BRP just waiting to happen. Unfortunately somebody or somebody's will probably have to get seriously hurt or killed before any action is taken. I was on the phone to our dealer/salesman first thing this morning about it. He forwarded my concerns to Service and they are supposed to check into it and give me a call tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M&Ms_Spyder View Post
    new 2013 RT Limited owner - as of last Saturday 6/29... got the gas fumes in the garage issue upon returning home from a ride also... outside temp during ride - about 80 degrees, last 20 miles of ride was "easy" 50-55 mph... engine temp gauge reading normal about 3 o'clock or a little below while moving. Pulled into the garage, went inside, took off helmet, take a leak, dress down to the "fat pants", etc. Come back out to garage to get some stuff out of the trunks..whoa... who dumped the gas in the garage?! Quickly and easily trace the source of the fumes to the new Spydy.. raise the seat, grab the gas cap - just because I discovered this website/forum before taking delivery and read the "boiling fuel" thread - and the cap is hot enough you can not comfortably hold it for more than a second or so.

I believe BRP has a major design flaw with heat from the catalytic converter sitting right below the fuel tank - just my opin at this point. It was close to an hour before it quit vaporizing the fuel in the tank into the air of my garage. I wonder how much liquid gold (a.k.a. gasoline) went up in fumes during this episode!! I kept checking it to make sure it hadn't burst into flames... this is a class action lawsuit against BRP just waiting to happen. Unfortunately somebody or somebody's will probably have to get seriously hurt or killed before any action is taken. I was on the phone to our dealer/salesman first thing this morning about it. He forwarded my concerns to Service and they are supposed to check into it and give me a call tomorrow.
    I haven't noticed the gas smell, but am concerned this is going to get worse. I called my dealer today. He said he has another 2013 RT with the gas cap problem. They are going to replace it under warranty. Will take it by there and let them see the gas cap hot. Think I will call BRP about the gas heated issue and make a formal complaint. We all need to call NHTSA...that is the only way to get BRP's attention to some issues.

2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    have not noticed the cap any hotter than anything around it. I would have the dealer order one because I would think there is an issue with the way it is now operating. I would not use any cap except from BRP for a Spyder, as the cap likely is designed for it. I very much dislike the smell of fuel in our garage after coming in from a ride, and for $30K I should not have to leave it outside..... We have found if we keep the tank close to full it is better, but the fuel smell is still there.
    I've been told not to overfill (not that you are ding this) because gas will spill over into a charcoal container. It could takes weeks for the gas smell from this overfill container to stop. I was also told not to use a gas buddy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post
    I've been told not to overfill (not that you are ding this) because gas will spill over into a charcoal container. It could takes weeks for the gas smell from this overfill container to stop. I was also told not to use a gas buddy.
    what is a gas buddy?

2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

what is a gas buddy?
    Looks like this orange thing Fuel-filler.jpg

It causes overfilling on Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just had this problem on my 2013 ST today. I got to the gas station and I tried turning the cap and it just clicked. I tried both ways and it just clicks either way. Also tried pushing down on the cap as I turned but this didn't help either. To me, the cap felt hotter than normal but its 98 degrees today where I live so I'm sure everything on the bike is hotter. Sounds like a defect in the gas cap though. I'm going to mention to my dealer when I have it in for service in a couple of weeks and see what they say. I'm just hoping I can get it off when the bike's cooler. Thankfully I wasn't running on fumes when this happened.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pricemc1 View Post
    Just had this problem on my 2013 ST today. I got to the gas station and I tried turning the cap and it just clicked. I tried both ways and it just clicks either way. Also tried pushing down on the cap as I turned but this didn't help either. To me, the cap felt hotter than normal but its 98 degrees today where I live so I'm sure everything on the bike is hotter. Sounds like a defect in the gas cap though. I'm going to mention to my dealer when I have it in for service in a couple of weeks and see what they say. I'm just hoping I can get it off when the bike's cooler. Thankfully I wasn't running on fumes when this happened.
    My dealer gave me a new replacement cap. First thing I did was spray the donut in the cap with silicone. Haven't had the problem again....but it could happen. If it happens again, I will be back at the dealers door and will call BRP...

Ken

2013 Can-Am RT Limited