Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FINLESS

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am really loving this thread and it should be a sticky or something!

Before buying my Spyder, reading all the BAD posts about it and crap like that almost talked me out of buying one!

It's great to see so many people posting so many miles and using it for more than a weekend joy ride

Bob
    Bob;
    glad u went with your heart.... i've had ZERO issues with my SPYD3R... riding is all i think of now... well, i also think of 'what can i invent next?' also... i'm heading out next week to do a FLORIDA LOOP.... it's about 1600 miles total, and i plan on ENJOYING ever inch of it....
    015.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    it's really simple. spyders are just like any other '' bike ''. people in general don't ride that much. they like the idea of having a '' bike '' more than actually riding it. ...
    I bought my Spyder April 10, 2013 and as of today have ridden 4,850 miles.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode from St Louis to Maggie Valley,with an overnight stay in Nashville,Tn...We did not see another Spyder until we hit Maggie Valley...Last year,we went from St Louis to Durango,for the owners event..We didn;t see another Spyder until app 50 miles from Alberquerque,NM...Very surprising to us..

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine for not only enjoyment but for my commute to work!
    DIAMOND LANE BABY!

I put on my cars 15K a year just in commuting. So I will be racking up some miles.

And yes... in all this time I have NEVER seen a spyder on the road here in Socal. I bought my 2011 (which was sold at a dealer Jan 2012 to the original owner and now I am the 3rd owner) with only 450 miles on it. Still has that new car smell

Bob
    theres actually a lot of Spyders in Sou Cal Bob. It's just that we have so much asphalt here you can easily pass one up and not notice. I live in Barstow. The first Spyder owner in my town back in 08. I have seen maybe 4-5 in the last year but have no idea where they live. I know they re locals. I'm the founder and president of a Spyder club in the inland empire. There are two other SRA chapters in Sou Cal alone with other clubs forming alongside us. They didn't know we exist. There are maybe a dozen dealers, or more, in Sou Cal with 7 in the inland empire alone, not to mention eBay, Craigslist, contingency and private sells probably selling as many as the dealers. So there's a lot of the three wheeled varmints out there. If you are interested, come join us. Brian
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RS which I bought in April 2011 - I have 18k miles on the bike and I work full time. -I Expect to put at least 9-10k miles per year - I live in Phoenix so the weather is good for riding except this weekend - its supposed to be 118 degrees - a little hot for being out on the road.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

I have to take issue with the number of miles Spyder riders put on their machines as being the reason we don't see many Spyders. My feeling is that the average Spyder sees more miles each year than motorcycles in general.

But even if that isn't true, it still is not the main reason we don't see many Spyders.

I do agree that it is a numbers game. But we need to apply the math in a different area. The simple truth is, there just aren't very many Spyders out there. Here on Spyderlovers it may seem like there are tons of them. But in the big world of motorcycles, the Spyder is just a speck on the windshield.

The Spyder has only been around for 5 years. I am just guessing that there are probably less than 50,000 Spyders in the US. My guess is probably closer to 50,000 worldwide. But let's go with 50k in the US.

There were well over 1 million Honda Goldwings produced in the US from 1979 to 2009. Ok, a lot of them are no longer on the road. But a lot of them are. And this is just 1 model from 1 company. There are at least 1/2 a dozen large motorcycle manufactures that sell here in the US. All have been making and selling a lot of motorcycles for a long time. Some for a VERY long time.

According to the National Transportation Board, as of 2012 there were over nine million motorcycles registered in the US traveling an average of 1,800 miles a year. Almost 500,000 motorcycles were purchased in 2012 alone.

If there are 50k Spyders in the US they would make up just over 1/2 of 1% of the total. Normally that would mean you could expect to see 1 Spyder for every 200 or so motorcycles.

But we know that the Spyder dealership network is relatively very sparse. I would think that Spyder sales will be clustered around dealerships. So the Spyder population is not spread out evenly around the country. There are great expanses where there are virtually no Spyders at all.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Turned 19000 on way home from work tonite, bought my 12 RT SE A&C new April 23, 2012. Drove it to Copper Mountain Co for the BMWRA rally, missed the Durango event and most of the fires last summer out there due to work, then drove to Sedalia Mo for the BMWMOA rally, stopping off at Spyderpops to get his block off plates, cat shield bump skid and highway pegs, and finally this year got to Maggie Valley! All trouble free miles aside from one limp home mode in NM which fixed itself after removing the key so it reset, 1 rear tire, I set front pads and I'm on my 3rd set of rears now. Motolights fog lights, BajaRons sway bar plugs wires and K&N filter. Michelin Hydroedge on rear makes it stable in the rain and they did the H2O pump in the 14k service. I ride mine every chance I get and love it and the people I meet here on SL and MV!
    There was an 88 year old gentleman staying at Applecover Imm in MV, said the MDs told him he had this disease started with an A and he couldn't recall, but he was beaming! Love it! Anyone interested in a 92 BMW R100r with Velorex 562? Runs like a top set up for a left leg amputee, just don't ride it anymore. Go figure! Thanks BRP, SL, and my local dealer Central Texas Powersports in Geoergetown Tx! Wrapped the left pipe still working on the heat issues will report more on this.

Wow Bob!
    Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    theres actually a lot of Spyders in Sou Cal Bob. It's just that we have so much asphalt here you can easily pass one up and not notice. I live in Barstow. The first Spyder owner in my town back in 08. I have seen maybe 4-5 in the last year but have no idea where they live. I know they re locals. I'm the founder and president of a Spyder club in the inland empire. There are two other SRA chapters in Sou Cal alone with other clubs forming alongside us. They didn't know we exist. There are maybe a dozen dealers, or more, in Sou Cal with 7 in the inland empire alone, not to mention eBay, Craigslist, contingency and private sells probably selling as many as the dealers. So there's a lot of the three wheeled varmints out there. If you are interested, come join us. Brian
    Hi Brian, I may do that although I am pretty far from the inland empire and Barstow.
    I am in Huntington beach basically. As you know we have many freeways around this area. Since a little over a year ago when I got interested in one, I still never saw one on the road and was looking then. I did my research, found all the dealers around me, visited them all, etc... In fact I found mine on Craigslist in Indio! There was not that many in OC for sale. In fact I never saw a RT for sale in OC on Craiglist in a year of looking and I wanted an RT. So it seems around here owners are pretty spread out!

Anyway I am sure I will hook up with a lot of you guys over time. Thanks for the invite to join you!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not too many seem on the road.

I have about 2000 miles in 2 months, I don't see too many in my travels. I drive about 200 miles a days 3 days a week driving a truck and don't see very many Spyders. I am trying to drive somewhere every day. All errands are Spyder trips. I ride it to church most every Sunday and get a lot of positive comments. I am proud to be a Spyder Rider.
    In my 1000 mile trip 2 weeks ago through out Utah I didn't see another Spyder. Come friends let's ride.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Visibilty

My theory which is totally a SWAG with input from the local Spyder dealer is the older age group is getting rid of their HDs due to balance and infirmities. The GW ers trike theirs first then go Spyder. The young entry level riders are to busy spending money on fast bikes, cars, women, drugs and booze. Then they get married and it is apartments, condo's, kids, mortgages, implants, divorce attorneys and therapists.

When you turn gray and 65+ your done with all that and saved a lot along the way. But your also concerned that your kids are just going to blow their inheritances. So you spend it you and your spouse and motivate the kids to start earning and saving instead of buying toys an widgets so they can have something to spend later on in life.

Spyder Garage

Now that is funny right there!

So Bob, I am 54.... what class am I in

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    My theory which is totally a SWAG with input from the local Spyder dealer is the older age group is getting rid of their HDs due to balance and infirmities. The GW ers trike theirs first then go Spyder. The young entry level riders are to busy spending money on fast bikes, cars, women, drugs and booze. Then they get married and it is apartments, condo's, kids, mortgages, implants, divorce attorneys and therapists.

When you turn gray and 65+ your done with all that and saved a lot along the way. But your also concerned that your kids are just going to blow their inheritances. So you spend it you and your spouse and motivate the kids to start earning and saving instead of buying toys an widgets so they can have something to spend later on in life.
    Sounds like someone I know.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On a PGR Mission, yesterday and this monring. A fellow PGR rider asked how many Spyders are around. He said
    , he was out around Branson a few weeks ago and saw thousands of Spyders running around. I did tell him about Spyderfeast.
    We were also talking about mileage. I said, I was down to about 7-8K last year and running about the same this year. He said, he was about 25 K on his two year old Tri-Glide.
    Yes, there are "Bar Bikers". Yes, there bikes on roads that may not see any vehicle for a couple hours.
    I wave at people all the time, why not? I also stop if I see any bike in trouble. Why not ? I also figured up a couple years ago, that I had over 500 K on bikes.
    I think we should say nice things about people, even if they disagree with us.Boy Scout law was written a long time ago, but I think it is still valid.
    Off my soapbox for now.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Brian, I may do that although I am pretty far from the inland empire and Barstow.
    I am in Huntington beach basically. As you know we have many freeways around this area. Since a little over a year ago when I got interested in one, I still never saw one on the road and was looking then. I did my research, found all the dealers around me, visited them all, etc... In fact I found mine on Craigslist in Indio! There was not that many in OC for sale. In fact I never saw a RT for sale in OC on Craiglist in a year of looking and I wanted an RT. So it seems around here owners are pretty spread out!

Anyway I am sure I will hook up with a lot of you guys over time. Thanks for the invite to join you!

Bob
    funny you should say that. The SD group is making a run up Ortega hwy to San
    juan Capistrano tomorrow. They plan to eat at El Adobe Mex Restaurant at 1230. I know they will be glad to see you. The LA chapter just got through with an overnighter to SD. And all three of the chapters will be heading o Sonora in August for Spyders in the Redwoods. If you have Facebook you will find all the chapters of Spyder Ryder of America.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default baja ron

i think bajaron is right on the money, more than i am. i still think my theory has some merit. we'll never really know i guess, since there are 30 or 40 thousand spyder owners that aren't spyderlovers.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default low miles

a few good reasons for low miles and not seeing them are I think that people are working more to make ends meet and the outrageous cost of a spyder one to buy and two to insure its 4 times the cost of a Goldwing to insure and its a different ride and feel because its a high RPM engine do you agree ? Thanks Rich

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    a few good reasons for low miles and not seeing them are I think that people are working more to make ends meet and the outrageous cost of a spyder one to buy and two to insure its 4 times the cost of a Goldwing to insure and its a different ride and feel because its a high RPM engine do you agree ? Thanks Rich
    Wow! That's a great insurance price. My current 's are $58 and $54 per month. I can insure a GW for $14 a month? (56/4) You have me convinced. I would also gain the benefits of a quieter and smoother machine. Time to dump the 's and buy a GW. I would already be ahead by saving $1,224 a year. Trust me on the numbers. I am an accountant.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only reason mine doesn't have more miles, is because I work 5 miles away and the only suitable parking is across the street, in the designated areas. I get no benefit from diamond lanes, since I have to stay on surface streets, hot ones in the summer and usually hit all 6 lights. By the time I park and walk with back pack and added gear in hand, I end up a drowned rat and 15 minutes later than I would by car.

If I had to actually go far and benefit from the diamond lane advantage or even be able to park and run in, I would ride it every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 06-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know Bob, I don't fit any of those rider categories you mentioned. You forgot the mid-thirties father of two who needs something to ride when there is no snow, and can't wait to get the rest of the family spyders so they can all ride together (much like his father did with snowmobiles). I have a mortgage payment, two cars, a full time job, a wife that works full time, two great kids, a camper parked at a campground for weekends during the summer, responsibilities as a volunteer firefighter, and an EMT course that takes 8 hours a week. I still have found ways to log 5500+ miles on my spyder since late march.
    If you want to do it, time can be found.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote from Otter: If you want to do it, time can be found.

Just sayin'............"

You are so right my friend.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think it is because so many of us are traveling the hiway's. Up before dawn and out of the city on the open road where we can't be seen. We then swoopback into a town in the evening and hit the sack, only to do it again the next morning. We are nomads and can't be held to the rules. Wind in our ha...er helmets, and relishing the freedom of the open road. Smiles on our faces and joy in our hearts. Feeling bad for all those cooped up in their cars and mini vans. Even if it is a Ferrari.

Just sayin..:o)
    Last edited by Babyblue; 06-28-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

I ride in L.A., and have personally found it difficult to find Spyder riders who like to take the longer rides that so many motorcyclists enjoy. As a result, I end up riding with bikes, and have largely given up on finding Spyder riders in my area who agree that a decent ride begins at 100 miles.

I do think a lot of the Spyders out there end up as seldom used weekend toys.

Spyder Garage

Hey now, I'm 28 and I have a spyder RT-S! No kids though, so I suppose that's one income sink I don't have to fight with.
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Spyder Garage

I'm seeing more and more all the times but still not a lot of them. I bought mine to ride but with a commute to work of less then a mile gonna take a while to get the miles up but working on them. I can see having mine for a long time.

I still had to have a manual RSS ,and nothing against the SE5 but I still like shifting.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It may apply to Spyders but....

I have 2 other bikes bought new
    #1-ST1100 bought new milage now
    66,753 miles
    #2-ST1300 bought new milage now
    I have owned over 30 motorcycles
    since 1959 all when sold had 50,000 miles or more
    when sold.....
    I don't own any closet queens
    can you tell I love to ride ?
    Ride safe everyone
    happy 4th. Of July
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    it's really simple. spyders are just like any other '' bike ''. people in general don't ride that much. they like the idea of having a '' bike '' more than actually riding it. witness this fact by reading the for sale section. mileage on most is very low. someone today mentioned they are buying one with less than 500 miles.
    my own gs is a perfect example. it was nearly three years old when i bought it. it had 1500 miles on it.
    Case Closed.