Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why You Never See Spyders

it's really simple. spyders are just like any other '' bike ''. people in general don't ride that much. they like the idea of having a '' bike '' more than actually riding it. witness this fact by reading the for sale section. mileage on most is very low. someone today mentioned they are buying one with less than 500 miles.
    my own gs is a perfect example. it was nearly three years old when i bought it. it had 1500 miles on it.
    Case Closed.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But how many miles does it have on it now??

There really aren't that many young riders joining the sport; the average age of particpants is growing increasingly... old!
    Those that have always ridden, will continue to do so...
    The latest crop of "Newbies" to motorcycling iareway older than in the past... it's largely made up of retirees who actually have some disposable income (or their kids' inheritance!) and are looking for something new and exciting.
    But the 18 to 25 year-olds don't have the money or free time for what is largely perceived as a luxury...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I bought mine for not only enjoyment but for my commute to work!
    DIAMOND LANE BABY!

I put on my cars 15K a year just in commuting. So I will be racking up some miles.

And yes... in all this time I have NEVER seen a spyder on the road here in Socal. I bought my 2011 (which was sold at a dealer Jan 2012 to the original owner and now I am the 3rd owner) with only 450 miles on it. Still has that new car smell

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I bought mine for not only enjoyment but for my commute to work!
    DIAMOND LANE BABY!
    A BMW friend of mine jokes "so when are they going to get those carpools out of the diamond motorcycle lanes???
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Spyder Garage

Default miles

9200 bob. and you missed the whole point. but thanks again for the gas cap. i still haven't gotten mine from brp, but they did send me a flyer for money off 2013 models. do you think i would do all this
    ( see sig. pic ) if i didn't ride it ?

Spyder Garage

In my neck of the woods bikes are up and down the streets every 30 seconds. That being said that does not include too many Spyders. We have had nothing but rain this year and as soon as it drys up the bikes are out like clockwork.

I put 600 miles on mine during the first month I had it and I am depressed that I have "not been able to get out on it at all" with this lousy weather.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2011 RT-S on June 20th. I had to ride it home 130 miles.
    It had 459 miles on it.
    I now have 789 miles on it. Not bad for 1 week I think

It blows my mind that someone would pay 20+ K for one of these and not ride it... Reminds me of the many boat owners out here that spend money like nuts on a boat and never use it. In the 10 years I owned a sailboat, I used mine more than anyone else on my dock! I am not one to buy something and not use it!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

I average 1,000 miles per month

Cruzr joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess I qualify almost as an non-riding owner. Right now my 2011 (8/2011) RT-L only has 4,800 miles on it.

I remember purchasing my 1965 HD XLH on a Wednesday riding it to work the same day and calling the dealer for a Saturday 500 mile check up service and working 8 hours, Wed, Thu, Fri, and a half day Sat AM

My 84 GW took a week for the first service. Our 88 GW took a week.

My current lame duck story is age related no longer 21 years old but I have to say it has been a wild 51 years in the making. 3 el Camino's, 3 Silverado's, 2 Trail Blazer's, 1 Tacoma Sr5,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had my current Spyder for 2 months and I have over 8,000 miles on it already. I had 59,148 on my 2010 when I traded it in. So some of us actually ride our Spyders. I will say that on my latest trip to the Owners Event (total of about 5500 miles) I saw more Spyders on the road than on any other trip. And I don't mean seeing everyone in Maggie Valley. On our travel days we saw at least one per day sometimes more.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have a very good friend in Ashville NC. When I told him I was buying one he said he sees them on the road all the time in his area. They seem to be very popular in his area. I guess Cali is a totally different market for BRP. In the last 2 months BRP has obviously been spending MAJOR DOLLORS on TV ads here especially during prime time where a commercial can cost 1 million dollars for 30 second ad.

Maybe me riding mine all over here in SoCal might get some more owners

I can tell you this.... out here, it seems hardly anyone has seen one of these before as I get looks and questions like you cannot believe!

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default sideways

this has turned sideways. frequent posting spyderlovers probably ride more than most. we seem to be ''into'' it. GENERALLY SPEAKING , most people aren't. kind of like , MOST members here rarely post about anything. Some post about EVERYTHING.

Spyder Garage

Have 2300 miles on mine. Had since May 8th. Will have 3000 miles by 7th of July if all goes well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    it's really simple. spyders are just like any other '' bike ''. people in general don't ride that much. they like the idea of having a '' bike '' more than actually riding it. witness this fact by reading the for sale section. mileage on most is very low. someone today mentioned they are buying one with less than 500 miles.
    my own gs is a perfect example. it was nearly three years old when i bought it. it had 1500 miles on it.
    Case Closed.

Coz... I'm thinking you are being sarcastic here.

Our dealer tells us that the average annual mileage on the Hondas (except Gold Wings), Yamahas, Suzukis, Triumphs and Victorys he sells is about 4-5,000. With Spyders the number is more than double that. I think you see low mileage Spyders for sale because of new (never ridden before) riders who like the idea but really don't give the Spyder a chance or are spooked by the oh so sensitive steering that doesn't go well for folks hanging on for dear life.

We put 18,000 miles on our first set of RT's and are approaching 20,000 on our second set.

I'd venture to say that owners of true touring machines like Harley baggers, Gold Wings, Ventures, Beemers and Spyders log more than three times the miles the average 'bike' is driven annually.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

We don't see many 's on the road here either. I am one of those high miles/frequent poster people. My current 2010 has 32,000 miles on it. The 2011 we purchased last July now has 7,500 miles on it. No riding between the months of October and March--meaning we get 6 months a year to .

I am actually riding my 2010 less than I was a year ago. No 40 mile daily commute to Anchorage to work. I do try to take a ryde every day though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-28-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default COME ON

AUH, COME ON COZ....
    i just turned 34,000 miles on my '09 RS the other day.... i rode out to UTAH in May and put on 4804 miles round-trip.... you don't see'm, b'kuz u live in the COLD-BELT.... us here in the south see SPYD3R's all the time.... give it a break pal... move down here, n u'll c them most every other day.....
    b good bro....
    Dan P
    006.jpg

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine to ride. 30K in three years, on two Spyders, never rode before. Now go out of my way to ride.

I was working in the black hills a few weeks ago and only saw one RT. While working in Marietta, PA this week I saw two on 441 north of Marietta a few minutes apart.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    AUH, COME ON COZ....
    i just turned 34,000 miles on my '09 RS the other day.... i rode out to UTAH in May and put on 4804 miles round-trip.... you don't see'm, b'kuz u live in the COLD-BELT.... us here in the south see SPYD3R's all the time.... give it a break pal... move down here, n u'll c them most every other day.....
    b good bro....
    Dan P
    006.jpg
    did you see alot of spyders on your trip?

Spyder Garage

Default I am loving this thread actually!

I am really loving this thread and it should be a sticky or something!

Before buying my Spyder, reading all the BAD posts about it and crap like that almost talked me out of buying one!

It's great to see so many people posting so many miles and using it for more than a weekend joy ride

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default worked up

i don't know why so many people are getting worked up. this is simply an observation/ theory on my part. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz, i give up.

Spyder Garage

Default YES

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    did you see alot of spyders on your trip?
    actually, YES i did Coz.....
    we came upon a SPYD3R gathering in NM... i saw no less than 10 - 12 on Rt. 12 alone... heading back home (east) along Rt. 40 from AlbaQQ, NM thru Mississippi, i'll bet i saw no less than 30 - 35 heading west... also saw about 12 18 wheelers with the JERSEY BOYS on the sides....
    maybe it's b'kuz Greenville, SC has a big dealership that i see them around here... but i've got'a tell'ya Coz... there are more in the south, and we all ride many more miles per year than u northerners.... COME ON DOWN pal....
    007.jpg

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 2012 RTL June 11, 2012 and now I have almost 13,000 miles, almost 6000 miles this riding season. I am currently on my third trip for this year.

Life is Great - Be Safe
    ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

don't know why you don't see them we do 1,000+ a month week ends only. Weather is not an issue here and in our ryding group it's about 50/50...recently drove to PA 2600 miles and saw one spyder when I got to Harrisburg..but they are out there..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sightings

We have ridden 6200 miles this past 5 weeks. I have 16000 on my RT LTD in 1.5 yrs!
    don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Also live in Oregon, so not many good riding months.

Spyder Garage

Default Not many here to see

We don't have many in the area, only about 5 or so. We get out and look for Spyders, try to connect with them. I think alot of it also depends on the dealers that you have (or don't have) in your area. They are too expensive to be what I would call an "entry level" bike for most people. But some people just never get the hang of riding them, so they sit and get sold. I agree that some people like the "idea" of having a bike more than the actual getting out there and ryding it.