Spyder Garage

Default Replacing the grips?

Now that I am getting some mileage on, I am noticing that for me the handlebar grips seem too small for me. I have large hands and my right hand is getting a little cramped feeling in rush hour traffic. I think larger diameter with more padding might help.

Since these are heated grips is it possible to replace them with more comfortable ones and not loose the heated feature?

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I am not sure about replacing them, however I put the GW ISO grips from Kuryakyn on and the heat appears to transfer ok for me when I tested it. This was on a 2013 RT Limited, if you have the SM5 it would be easier than the SE5 was.

Spyder Garage

Default Foam grips

There is a slip on grip (called Grab on Grips) I bought on Amazon that works great. I don't have heated grips, but the instructions say it will work with heated grips too. Installation is simple - you just coat inside with hairspray and slip them on. Makes grips larger and cuts out vibration. Cheap too (about $10 delivered).
    Last edited by rlynchtx; 06-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...ory_Code=grips

I have used these- They just slip over with dishwash liquid on them. And there are Grip Buddies that velcro on the grip.
    Both can be removed for winter to get the full force of the heated grips!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I've mentioned this before. I put regriping for a tennis racket or golf club on mine. Heat transfers through real well. It enlarges the handles. Has a nice feel. Tacky feel. I like it because I play tennis and golf and this has a natural feel.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    There is a slip on grip (called Grab on Grips) I bought on Amazon that works great. I don't have heated grips, but the instructions say it will work with heated grips too. Installation is simple - you just coat inside with hairspray and slip them on. Makes grips larger and cuts out vibration. Cheap too (about $10 delivered).
    I also put a set of these on my 2013 RT Ltd and love them. They make grips fatter and softer. I also found a very simple way to install them - instead of using any sort of lubricant, just simply get them started about 1 inch over existing grip ends, stick both thumbs into other end and wiggle them back and forth and they will actually "walk" their way right up over the grips. Very easy and no liquid that might get into the throttle mechanism..............

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I have many options to look at.

Has anyone taken off the stock grip's to see how the heaters are wired? I might do that just to take a look.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Has anyone taken off the stock grip's to see how the heaters are wired? I might do that just to take a look.

Bob
    Oh, by the way, heating also seems just fine.....

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    Don't recall the depth he went into. But Lamont covered it in one of his videos. Seems like it was around the 2011 time frame? Not sure if it's in with handle bars or something else?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

This was my solution to "small grip". Work for heated grips.
    http://originalbeemerbuddies.com/CanAm.html

J. D.
    Last edited by TexasSpyder; 06-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Reggie at TricLED sells a nice foam set that slip on very easy & the heat comes through.

Spyder Garage

I use leather on my grips that I got here: www.chilhowee.net/grip-covers.html#swatches

I use the ones without the fringe and they work great - give me a thicker grip (used double sided tape to secure the grip) and the heaters work just fine.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

I've got grip puppies which are a slide over foam cover for the grips. Heater works just fine through the foam. Grip will be softer and larger as well as absorb sweat for better grip on hot days.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dick574 View Post
    Reggie at TricLED sells a nice foam set that slip on very easy & the heat comes through.
    I agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Grips

Just so happens that I just had a discussion with the folks at Smith Marine. I had wanted to replace the stock grips on my RT-S with aftermarket gel grips which I have used on several bikes-slightly larger than stock in diameter, but not as thick as "Grip Puppies". Turns out NO CAN DO-works just fine on the left hand grip, but lose heated function on throttle grip. So, I'm using the Grip Puppies which I have also used on previous bikes. Bill F036.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK... I bought a pair of Grab On foam grips... destroyed them trying to get them on my 2013 RT Limited. There must be a secret. Hair spray dries too fast, soapy water no matter how soapy just didn't work. Give me more clues and details here on the secret. First attempt I took the handle-bar caps off, that didn't work well at all. The lip on the end of the stock grips seem to catch/bind/hinder the Grab On from sliding. 2nd attempt, left the caps on, that actually seemed to work a little better and provide a wider, smoother, slicker surface for the Grab On to slide over, at about 3/4 of the way on, they just wouldn't go any farther... no amount of pulling or pushing, they finally tore/split.

Spyder Garage

Default Easy install of foam grips

Quote Originally Posted by M&Ms_Spyder View Post
    OK... I bought a pair of Grab On foam grips... destroyed them trying to get them on my 2013 RT Limited. There must be a secret. Hair spray dries too fast, soapy water no matter how soapy just didn't work. Give me more clues and details here on the secret. First attempt I took the handle-bar caps off, that didn't work well at all. The lip on the end of the stock grips seem to catch/bind/hinder the Grab On from sliding. 2nd attempt, left the caps on, that actually seemed to work a little better and provide a wider, smoother, slicker surface for the Grab On to slide over, at about 3/4 of the way on, they just wouldn't go any farther... no amount of pulling or pushing, they finally tore/split.

Just squirt a little (or a lot) hand sanitizer inside the foam grip and it slides right on. Takes about five seconds to slip it on. Then, the sanitizer evaporates and... POOF! Snug as a bug in a rug!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I'm with you, couldn't get them on. I bought original grip buddies. They wrap on and velcro. I really like them, but some don't like the seam at the velcro. If you place the seam in the proper place it's not noticeable (at least to me).

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    This was my solution to "small grip". Work for heated grips.
    http://originalbeemerbuddies.com/CanAm.html

J. D.
    Agree. Work great. I've got about 3500 miles on them now and love them. Just put a pair on my V-Strom and rode 500 mi over the weekend. Ditto. Great addition.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default foam grips

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Just squirt a little (or a lot) hand sanitizer inside the foam grip and it slides right on. Takes about five seconds to slip it on. Then, the sanitizer evaporates and... POOF! Snug as a bug in a rug!
    Question ...what about when it rains ..do they soak up water a lot..i would think if riding down the road it would kinda soggy to hold those grips when they r full of water..
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default KY jelly inside Grip Puppies foam works

A little KY jelly inside foam grips slides over end caps easy on Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the rain...

Quote Originally Posted by RidersInChrist View Post
    Question ...what about when it rains ..do they soak up water a lot..i would think if riding down the road it would kinda soggy to hold those grips when they r full of water..
    Chuck
    I've ridden quite a bit in the rain and have never noticed soggy grips. If they do soak up water, just squeeze the grips and that'll wring them out.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default grip

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    I had the same problem small grip large hands. I put on the grab grip but it was very comfortable but still to smal so I wraped tennis racket grip tape on top of the of that and the size is perfect