Thread: Need advice....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Need advice....

.... I'm wanting to put a 12volt outlet on the dash or more likely where the rocker switches are. Can anyone tell me if getting to these areas a bigger chore to get into than I'm figuring? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was going to have some LEDs hooked up to some switches in that area and was told it is too much of a pain. The area is very very tight and not a lot a room at all for anything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think NC is right I'e heard the same thing about the area under the rocker switches. I've seen them mounted in the speaker grills and that seems to work really good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've actually installed this USB waterproof outlet since I don't think many 12V adapters would fit there (that is actually for the COMM system cable, and most Smartphones charge via USB port anyway). It was a PITA to install!!!Photo 2013-04-18 03.55.41 PM.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    I've actually installed this USB waterproof outlet since I don't think many 12V adapters would fit there (that is actually for the COMM system cable, and most Smartphones charge via USB port anyway). It was a PITA to install!!!Photo 2013-04-18 03.55.41 PM.jpg
    Hmmm interesting..... But you have 12V running into it?
    If someone tried to plug a standard USB device in there you know it will probably fry it since USB plugs are 5V.
    But interesting solution.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Hmmm interesting..... But you have 12V running into it?
    If someone tried to plug a standard USB device in there you know it will probably fry it since USB plugs are 5V.
    But interesting solution.
    Straight to the battery as it is ready to be installed as. And if you read the specs on Burns Moto website, this is made for Smartphones and you even pick the amp (that is what would fry the device) when you purchase it... I got the 2 amp. If you are pluging anything bigger than a tablet on it... Besides, most devices that need more than 5V are not USB connected.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You can remove the center cover at the rocker switch panel (if you don't have the BRP comm system) and install one in the hole there, but the hole may have to be resized, the amount of room is limited, and if you need to take off the glove box to get at things to wire it, that is a royal pain. It has been done, however. You can install Powerlet outlets on the flat areas below the analog gauges on the dash, but room there is severely limited and the holes have to be precise. I did it on my 2010...and regreted it. The best two options seem to be the flat prot on the front speaker grills, and in blank hole plugs if you remove your analog gauges. My Powerlets on the 2011 are in the speaker grills.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.....It looks like I'll shoot for the speaker covers since I don't have enough experience in tearing it apart, rather than tearing it up.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WV Spyder Ryder View Post
    Thanks guys.....It looks like I'll shoot for the speaker covers since I don't have enough experience in tearing it apart, rather than tearing it up.
    They pop out from the top...just pry gently until the clips pop loose.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They pop out from the top...just pry gently until the clips pop loose.
    Thanks ...I'll be off of work in a bit and head to the parts store to pick me up a couple.