Spyder Garage

Default DIY TRUNK BRACKET

Good afternoon all,

I have been looking, at building my own trunk bracket for my RS/GS.

I have checked around from readily available brackets, WOW !!!, nothing under $ 150.00 for both bracket and mounting plate, there must be something that can be made for a lot cheaper.

I was thinking in the way of a Givi type trunk, like you find on e-bay for under $ 100.00.

Any idea is appreciated.

With pictures even better.

Dom

Spyder Garage

I just found this video, the seat bracket system looks similar to the Spyder.

Dom

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

Few nuts and bolts. Bend up some rods.
    20121221_140526.jpg 412000_10151148004642385_1435422581_o.jpg can make to mount whatever you need.20121221_081334.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default DYI

BUILD YOUR OWN....
    all Aluminum, 1"X1/4" flat bar & 1/4" dia. stock...
    011.jpg012.jpg011.jpg012.jpg138.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, er, yeah, Poordom, I did do a homemade mount for my V45 Givi topcase. This was after the Industries 7 rack that came with my GS-SE5 self-destucted and sent my topcase bouncing down the road behind me. I wasn't going to bother replacing it, but the case had a backrest cushion on it that my passenger said she would not ride without. Unfortunately, this design will not help you since it is bolted into a modified, strengthened, raised rear fender, which is also a one-of-a kind homebrew job. The mount features shaped wooden spacers bolted through the fender with 3/8 inch carriage bolts. The triangular plastic rear cone has been removed and the new mount has a flatbar brace that ties into the capscrew below the cone. Finishing is done with black paint and black vynel. The vynel is fastened with self adhesive velcro for quick access to wiring underneath. It looks, uh, OK, but I won't be entering into any show and shines with it, lol. However, it is much stronger and a lot safer than it ever was, and the cost to make was insignificant. The point of all this is, if you are up for some eyeball engineering and are persistent, you should be able to rig something to your liking. Good luck with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Trunk Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BUILD YOUR OWN....
    all Aluminum, 1"X1/4" flat bar & 1/4" dia. stock...
    011.jpg012.jpg011.jpg012.jpg138.jpg
    Are you using the handle / seat bolts to fasten the aluminium flat bars.

Dom

Spyder Garage

Default Trunk Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Well, er, yeah, Poordom, I did do a homemade mount for my V45 Givi topcase. This was after the Industries 7 rack that came with my GS-SE5 self-destucted and sent my topcase bouncing down the road behind me. I wasn't going to bother replacing it, but the case had a backrest cushion on it that my passenger said she would not ride without. Unfortunately, this design will not help you since it is bolted into a modified, strengthened, raised rear fender, which is also a one-of-a kind homebrew job. The mount features shaped wooden spacers bolted through the fender with 3/8 inch carriage bolts. The triangular plastic rear cone has been removed and the new mount has a flatbar brace that ties into the capscrew below the cone. Finishing is done with black paint and black vynel. The vynel is fastened with self adhesive velcro for quick access to wiring underneath. It looks, uh, OK, but I won't be entering into any show and shines with it, lol. However, it is much stronger and a lot safer than it ever was, and the cost to make was insignificant. The point of all this is, if you are up for some eyeball engineering and are persistent, you should be able to rig something to your liking. Good luck with it.

Neez, I am an expert at eyeball engineering.

I just wish I could do better, but then again, if it works.

Dom

Spyder Garage

Default Trunk bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Few nuts and bolts. Bend up some rods.
    20121221_140526.jpg 412000_10151148004642385_1435422581_o.jpg can make to mount whatever you need.20121221_081334.jpg

Very smart concept.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back-rest-001.jpgbackrest 2.gifbackrest 3.gifbackrest 4.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Neez, I am an expert at eyeball engineering.

I just wish I could do better, but then again, if it works.

Dom
    Dom, here are some pics of my project and also a photo of a used Hondaline rack I bought for cheap at Bentbike in Langley BC. Something like this could be grafted onto a Spyder, I think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Back-rest-001.jpgbackrest 2.gifbackrest 3.gifbackrest 4.gifDom, here are some pics of my project and also a photo of a used Hondaline rack I bought for cheap at Bentbike in Langley BC. Something like this could be grafted onto a Spyder, I think.
    Looks good Neez,

I think you are right.

With your present set-up, do you find that the passenger uses the trunk as a back rest.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Looks good Neez,

I think you are right.

With your present set-up, do you find that the passenger uses the trunk as a back rest.

Dom
    Yes, she does. If you notice from the photos, there is a cushion screwed to the top forward edge of the Givi case. I believe it was an option from Givi, it was on the case when I got it. This is the reason that I had to make the case mount so strong, as she leans against the case.