Spyder Garage

Default Should I get new shocks (Elkas) for my 2009 GS SE5?

Okay, so I've had my Spyder for a year. 2009 GS SE5. Love it! I live and ride in the mountains of Colorado, and am going on a 3 week trip this summer to Salem Oregon and then back through Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone etc.

I was timid at 1st in the corners, but am getting more and more comfortable. I'm not a rocket-butt by ANY stretch of the imagination, and normally like to take roads at speed limit or 5 up (much to the dismay of my rocket-butt boyfriend with the BMWs). But I digress.

How would I benefit from good shocks and possibly a sway bar? All the suspension is stock right now. Is it really worth the $1200 plus? The Spyder currently has 12k miles on it, 9k of which I put on in less than a year. I've got the current shocks set at 4 out of 5.

I did search for a thread for this, but saw mostly RT discussions - but even then, everyone seems to rave about the better shocks. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Okay, so I've had my Spyder for a year. 2009 GS SE5. Love it! I live and ride in the mountains of Colorado, and am going on a 3 week trip this summer to Salem Oregon and then back through Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone etc.

I was timid at 1st in the corners, but am getting more and more comfortable. I'm not a rocket-butt by ANY stretch of the imagination, and normally like to take roads at speed limit or 5 up (much to the dismay of my rocket-butt boyfriend with the BMWs). But I digress.

How would I benefit from good shocks and possibly a sway bar? All the suspension is stock right now. Is it really worth the $1200 plus? The Spyder currently has 12k miles on it, 9k of which I put on in less than a year. I've got the current shocks set at 4 out of 5.

I did search for a thread for this, but saw mostly RT discussions - but even then, everyone seems to rave about the better shocks. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    hey sue, try setting your shocks on five, and add the ronbar. then re-evaluate, before spending BIG. that might be all you need.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    hey sue, try setting your shocks on five, and add the ronbar. then re-evaluate, before spending BIG. that might be all you need.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have to admit I like the idea of wearing out the old ones 1st. How many miles can you expect to get on the stock shocks?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A picture is worth a thousand words (8 months on my Silver Dream 2008 RS SM5, 24K miles, on Feb 22, 2009) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...LKA-Suspension

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Yikes! Wow, you put a lot of miles on your bikes! Thanks for the pics and the link. More to ponder.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You might want to look at adding RT shocks instead of Elkas. There are a lot of RT owners that upgrade to Elkas and sell the old shocks at a discount. The RT shocks with Ron's bar would be a big improvement.

Former owner of a Red '09 GS.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    You might want to look at adding RT shocks instead of Elkas. There are a lot of RT owners that upgrade to Elkas and sell the old shocks at a discount. The RT shocks with Ron's bar would be a big improvement.

Former owner of a Red '09 GS.
    Nice - I hadn't thought of that. Since I bought my Spyder on Ebay, my Corbin seat on Craigslist, clearly I am not above a little more wheeling and dealing. Great idea, thanks!

Mine is Silver - I like the Red

Spyder Garage

Default Should I get new shocks (Elkas) for my 2009 GS SE5?

I put the Fox shocks that come on the RS-S on mine, and they were an improvement, but made no where near the difference the BajaRon swaybar did.
    I concur with the try the bar and the stock shocks at 5 before any other changes (Oh, and make sure you have 19# in the front tires).
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    I put the Fox shocks that come on the RS-S on mine, and they were an improvement, but made no where near the difference the BajaRon swaybar did.
    I concur with the try the bar and the stock shocks at 5 before any other changes (Oh, and make sure you have 19# in the front tires).
    I learned about the pressure in the tires half way through my trip ryding it from Missouri to Colorado. We stopped for the night, and I thought the Spyder sure was 'twitchy', but figured it was me overstearing like everyone tends to do at the beginning. We sat down and read through the manual, and saw what the recommended pressure was. They were at 35 psi! ACK! Took it down to 25, because we still were unbelivers about the pressure, now they are at 18.

Spyder Garage

We ride 2 up on 2012 RT an put on ron's bar and got a new ride

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway bar, RT shocks & shock relocated

I have a 2008 GS and put 40,000 on the original shocks. Added a sway bar, then changed to RT shocks, but the biggest difference came from the shock relocators. The combination really makes the twisties fun.
    What year and model are you riding? The sway bar and shock relocators work on 2008 thru 2012 models RS and RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McGone View Post
    I have a 2008 GS and put 40,000 on the original shocks. Added a sway bar, then changed to RT shocks, but the biggest difference came from the shock relocators. The combination really makes the twisties fun.
    What year and model are you riding? The sway bar and shock relocators work on 2008 thru 2012 models RS and RT.
    I've got a 2009 GS SE5 - have not heard about shock relocators. ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    I've got a 2009 GS SE5 - have not heard about shock relocators. ???
    PitBull has them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default shock relocators

Shock relocators are available from Pittbull Motorsports, for around $200. The bolt on to the top shock mount bracket and move the top of the shock out a little which makes a big difference in the shock operation. They are a sponsor of SpyderLovers so there is a link on the homepage. There are three bolts on each bracket and easy to install. They have a video of the install. You might want to install the relocator first before buying new shocks. VisitedProvincesMap.jpgvisited states 2011.jpg

Spyder Garage

Pit Bull Powersport's site doesn't appear to be up and running yet when you click on it on the homepage. There is a phone number listed, if you wanted to get in touch with him.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-18-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've got 2012 RT shocks and an after-market sway bar on my 08 GS. I love the way it handles.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I've got 2012 RT shocks and an after-market sway bar on my 08 GS. I love the way it handles.
    Did you go to 3 RT shocks like a previous poster? I have the 2011 RT shocks up front only and the EVO sway bar on my 2008. Just wondering if I'm missing out by not having the RT rear shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Did you go to 3 RT shocks like a previous poster? I have the 2011 RT shocks up front only and the EVO sway bar on my 2008. Just wondering if I'm missing out by not having the RT rear shock.
    The RT rear shock is not suitable for an RS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I did the same. BajaRon anti-sway bar and 2012 RT shocks set at #3 is the hot setup for my 2011 RS-S riding two up.

Mike

Spyder Garage

It all depends on what specific improvements you are looking for:

For improved cornering and sway performance start with a Bajaron anti-swaybar, this is one of the best improvements you can make for the money and that's all many people really require. If you're still not satisfied increase the spring preload on your stock shocks or get a set of RT shocks (which have even stiffer springs). You do not need to spend $$$ on performance shocks just to increase spring preload no matter what you may have heard. Increase the preload until you find the ride too harsh and then back off a bit. Don't sacrifice ride comfort for improved cornering too much, it's just not worth it. Some body roll is perfectly normal and contrary to what you might think it will not degrade your cornering performance much, it just feels uncomfortable so many people try to reduce it as much as possible, but again it's not worth ruining your ride comfort. You could also try a set of shock relocators, these are new and the real world results are still coming in, so far some people have reported better highway performance due to improved resistance to sway caused by wind.

For improved rough road performance considering investing in a set of performance shocks like Elkas or Fox. These shocks have much better valving and heat dissipation which translates into significantly better performance on rough roads. If you like to ride hard and fast and you encounter rough or bumpy riding a good set of performance shocks can make a world of difference.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank-you guys!

Got the anti-sway bar installed today, and rode back up the mountain. Nice, seemingly flat cornering in comparison - SWEET!!! I'll ride this for a bit and decide if I need anything further. Thank-you so much for your advice everyone!!!!!