Thread: WOW

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

I was reading many posts on here about differant things. I am surprised how much information has alot of truth to it. Any post that differs from the owners manuel i do not put thought into. For example i read one about puting 20 lbs of preasure into the front tires. However i was reading about running the Spyder at higer RPMs I wont go into the number because that is a whole new can of worms. I went out today and ran at higher RPM . WOW i have to learn to ride the Spyder all over again. I think i have 2nd 3rd and 4th gear figured out however i came to realize that because of spped limits and situations you cant always run where you want to. My question is about 1st gear. I live in a town with a speed limit of 25mph. So do you think it is ok to run in first gear for the most part? It is not easy getting used to running in higher RPM and it will take time to do this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't hang out in town much with a 25 mph speed limit LOL
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I routinely run into that problem (rural beats the hell out of the cities). I run in second gear in these cases and run it up to six grand before shifting in that and all other gears. First is just geared to low for me. The only thing about that shift point is you might get a vibration if your belt is out of tolerance.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I also live in a small town with speed limits of 25 -40. While driving around town I never get past 2nd gear.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    IMHO, keep the revs over 4K regardless of speed
    I agree, I always try to stay at 4000 rpms and the cruise works in any gear as long as you are at least 3500 rpms. most speed limits where I live are 25 to 35 and I always barrow 5.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wouldn't hang out in town much with a 25 mph speed limit LOL
    Hect, I seldom take right or left turns at less than 25 MPH.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was a strong proponent of the "low & slow" style of riding... Until the issue of clutch damage got more attention.
    Now I try to keep things spinning at 4,000 rpm...
    BUT... In the lower gears around Town, I'll often either run a bit faster, (few LEOs), or let the revs drop little bit so as not to aggravate my neighbors...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'd rather run high in 1st gear than low in 2nd gear. JMHO.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Hect, I seldom take right or left turns at less than 25 MPH.
    How about u-turns and staying within the lane?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's more about the RPMs than what gear your in. I Run the the Spyder in first gear up to 4,000-4,500 than shift to second in town. Try to maintain at least 4,000 to 4,500 RPMs and your clutch will thank you!

About tire pressures, you will find the majority of Spyder riders do not follow the manual for 15-17 psi in the front tires (2012 and earlier) for very good reasons. Most keep the front tires at 18-20 as it performs better, gets longer tire life and loses air less quickly.

Spyder Garage

Default New Guy

I only have just over 500 miles on my 2013 RT Limited, but it did not take long to discover that is much prefers between 4500 and 5000 rpm. The engine lugs at lower rpms, but hums happily between 4,000 and 5,000. I originally tried riding with fuel economy in mind, hence lower rpms . . . but the Spyder just didn't like that! Golly, I love this thing!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I only have just over 500 miles on my 2013 RT Limited, but it did not take long to discover that is much prefers between 4500 and 5000 rpm. The engine lugs at lower rpms, but hums happily between 4,000 and 5,000. I originally tried riding with fuel economy in mind, hence lower rpms . . . but the Spyder just didn't like that! Golly, I love this thing!
    You will find that you may get your best fuel economy at 6,000 RPMs! On the recent trip to the BRP Owners event I did get 32mpg. I was mostly in 4-5 gear doing around 5,500-6,500 RPMs on the major roads coming home with only one other rider. Going there I was with a larger group taking our time and running in 3-4 gear around 4,500-5,500 RPMs and I got around 29 mpg. I ride with my wife but she weights than 110 pounds most days.

Spyder Garage

No problem remaining in first gear at 25 mph. I do it all the time. You can stay in first well beyond that, if you wish.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default mileage

I pretty much follow the high rpm rule and notice that the gas mileage does seem to as good or better than when I run at to low RPM so it seems the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    You will find that you may get your best fuel economy at 6,000 RPMs! On the recent trip to the BRP Owners event I did get 32mpg. I was mostly in 4-5 gear doing around 5,500-6,500 RPMs on the major roads coming home with only one other rider. Going there I was with a larger group taking our time and running in 3-4 gear around 4,500-5,500 RPMs and I got around 29 mpg. I ride with my wife but she weights than 110 pounds most days.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

It did not take long to see the Spyder likes the RPMS higher. Old habits are hard to break. Riding high in first gear was the only thing real hard to do. Will take some time but I will continue to keep the RPMS up. you you look at the RPM gauge it does seem they were trying to tell us something. Red line is really high. I wonder if the Spyder has a shut down if you go over the limit in first gear, My friend has a Harley and he found out his does. Thanks to everyone for your input on this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMouse22 View Post
    I was reading many posts on here about differant things. I am surprised how much information has alot of truth to it. Any post that differs from the owners manuel i do not put thought into. For example i read one about puting 20 lbs of preasure into the front tires. However i was reading about running the Spyder at higer RPMs I wont go into the number because that is a whole new can of worms. I went out today and ran at higher RPM . WOW i have to learn to ride the Spyder all over again. I think i have 2nd 3rd and 4th gear figured out however i came to realize that because of spped limits and situations you cant always run where you want to. My question is about 1st gear. I live in a town with a speed limit of 25mph. So do you think it is ok to run in first gear for the most part? It is not easy getting used to running in higher RPM and it will take time to do this.
    Right there with ya, I to am learing how to ride my RT-L all over....but make a big differance. Not sure if it was Scotty or Bob that had posted "its all about RPM not the Speed limit" and I have lived by that with a VARY Happy Spyder
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    Right there with ya, I to am learing how to ride my RT-L all over....but make a big differance. Not sure if it was Scotty or Bob that had posted "its all about RPM not the Speed limit" and I have lived by that with a VARY Happy Spyder
    I totally agree I don't run less than 4,000 rpm and Li'LL RED loves it 11,000 miles no oil use or in air filter box
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

What everyone else is saying. There are times when the does not get out of first gear for me also. I hate driving in first--but if thats what I have to do--then so be it.

I am now shifting at 5000-5500 on most of the shifts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't twist it's tail quite as much; for me, theshifts happen between 4800 and 5200 rpm.
    But the bike seems happy, my neighbors seem happy, the LEOs seem happy...
    What more could I ask for?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't twist it's tail quite as much; for me, theshifts happen between 4800 and 5200 rpm.
    But the bike seems happy, my neighbors seem happy, the LEOs seem happy...
    What more could I ask for?

Slowly but surely you are edging your way up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know...
    I've only bounced it off of the rev-limiter once; 9200 rpm in 3rd gear...
    (Passing a Garbage truck; it stank so bad that it would have made a Tasmanian Devil jealous )

Spyder Garage

Post rev-limiter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I know...
    I've only bounced it off of the rev-limiter once; 9200 rpm in 3rd gear...
    (Passing a Garbage truck; it stank so bad that it would have made a Tasmanian Devil jealous )

Ahhhh it does have a rev-limiter and it is ok to run in first gear. This helps my quest to rev on up without worry. I am so excited because now i can focus on getting the pipe wrapped figuring out tire preasure and checking out ride on. Hmmmmm I wonder if my gas boils....... Oh and my shock setting is at 2 I better bump that up too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Learning how to ride at higher RPM's with earplugs!

As a long-time Harley Road King rider, I was not prepared for the Spyder's higher RPM range (2012 RTS-SE5) . It was scary for me to listen to the Spyder's engine winding up so high after years of listening to a comfortable, laid back low rumble. The Spyder's optimum RPM's are about DOUBLE that of my Harley. But I knew one important thing... do not lug the engine... no matter what. That led me to start out shifting at the LOW END of the optimum range. Not good enough... based on what I was reading here on the forums. So... I put in some EAR PLUGS and rode for a couple of weeks using only the Tachometer to determine my shift points... ignoring the engine sounds... and relieving me of my old notions about what I thought the engine should sound like. It worked. I now ride without the ear plugs and 4200-5000+ rpms now sound great to me and... my Spyder loves me for it.
    My gas mileage improved, too...
    Difficult to grasp that more RPM's = better mileage but I use Fuelio and it was plain to see.

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

slow cruising is so much easier with a manual clutch...good luck with that..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black