Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    I found the adjuster knob for the head lights under the right side tupperware mounted right above the radiator, I confirmed this by looking in the owners manual, the fog lamp adjuster is under the seat on the RT. Learning more and more about my.
    Just one more question about them:
    Which way do they get turned to lower the headlight beams?
    Clockwise, or Counter-clockwise?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Set the rear suspension pressure to 0 using the schrader valve. Then position the vehicle in front of a perpendicular test surface (wall) 33' from the headlight to the wall. Place 200lbs of ballast on the drivers seat and center the focus point between 25-28" above the floor.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Set the rear suspension pressure to 0 using the schrader valve. Then position the vehicle in front of a perpendicular test surface (wall) 33' from the headlight to the wall. Place 200lbs of ballast on the drivers seat and center the focus point between 25-28" above the floor.

JT
    I would not recommend setting the rear suspension to zero, especially with the seat weighted. That approach could set your headlights much lower than desired when in actual use, when the suspension is at the normal setting.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would not recommend setting the rear suspension to zero, especially with the seat weighted. That approach could set your headlights much lower than desired when in actual use, when the suspension is at the normal setting.
    I wonder why the service manual says to do that?

JT

Spyder Garage

I wonder why the service manual says to do that?

JT
    I thought it was odd, too. It would tend to explain why the headlights on most Spyders are aimed too high from the factory, however.

I'm not much of a fan of measured headlight adjustments anyway. If the beams are too high and I am being flashed all the time, I lower them a bit. If they are too low to see well, I raise them. Not sure why it has become rocket science.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Manual says counter-clockwise.

Spyder Garage

I thought it was odd, too. It would tend to explain why the headlights on most Spyders are aimed too high from the factory, however.

I'm not much of a fan of measured headlight adjustments anyway. If the beams are too high and I am being flashed all the time, I lower them a bit. If they are too low to see well, I raise them. Not sure why it has become rocket science.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have a 2012 RT that I put the anti-sway bar on and shock relocators. It made the bike ride great! I have stock shocks and set the springs with the load on the bike. Some day I might change the shocks but it rides nice. It took the body sway out going down the hwy. that can take you right off the road when a blast of wind hits you.I agree about the spring settings. If I have a lot in the trunk, with me and wife it needs cranked up. Cranked back with load off. I love how it rides on the curves with this setup!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I guess they had to come up with something... it will be interesting to see how much the headlight aiming point changes with load and rear shock settings.

There seems to be a sweet spot that is not too annoying for oncoming drivers but lets you see well.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    Manual says counter-clockwise.
    Thanks!

I've been having folks pull over to let me pass recently...
    I'm guessing that my lights are up high-enough, that I'm getting that red-blue prism effect.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

I'm guessing that my lights are up high-enough, that I'm getting that red-blue prism effect.
    The gang we ride with keep telling me my red and blue lights look like a cop... I'm going what red and blue lights?

JT

Spyder Garage

The gang we ride with keep telling me my red and blue lights look like a cop... I'm going what red and blue lights?

JT
    Keep your high beams on during the day. It will reduce the effect. Lowering the headlight aim a bit does, too.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you've got to admit; it's tough to NOT smile when they pull over for you!

Spyder Garage

But you've got to admit; it's tough to NOT smile when they pull over for you!
    Yep! Happens on my former CHP bike quite a bit (even in Michigan), especially when I am wearing my leather jacket.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your stable of rides seems to be Legendary...

pitbull

Default Thanks Faran

Thanks Faran,
    It was great to see you and I'm glad to get the opportunity to get to install the new locaters on your Spyder and a few others things. Thanks for trusting us and letting us work for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Len,
    Please let us all know when (or if!) you guys get set up to accept payments via PayPal...
    Thanks!

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    Thanks Faran,
    It was great to see you and I'm glad to get the opportunity to get to install the new locaters on your Spyder and a few others things. Thanks for trusting us and letting us work for you.
    I'm liking the "few other things" whatever the heck they are. When you said "Can I do whatever I want to to your Spyder?", I knew I trusted you but wasn't sure about what that meant. In addition to the shock relocators, your secret performance tweaking is just what this girl wanted!

Spyder Garage

Wink

I have to admit that I was not overly impressed with the Elkas on my 2011. I then added the sway bar and still not too much better so I am going to take your word on it and by the shock re-locaters but I am a skeptic that such a small angle change will do all that much... I hope I am proven wrong! lol

A side note, they sent the heavier springs for my Elkas which allowed me to lower my front end down closer to stock in hopes that the lower center of gravity would help. Not much change but the profile looks better now. Over all my ride is much stiffer than before but cornering has only improved slightly. I love to ride hard in corners and often lift a wheel until Nanny slaps me and says be good, lol... I believe I can hold the wheel down longer now that I have Ron's sway bar so I am achieving slightly higher speeds. I did notice on the last ride that I was riding through the twisties as the ,marked highways speed ( + 5%) even though the corners may have been marked lower. Never lifted a wheel once but have to watch the steering line.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 06-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    I'm liking the "few other things" whatever the heck they are. When you said "Can I do whatever I want to to your Spyder?", I knew I trusted you but wasn't sure about what that meant. In addition to the shock relocators, your secret performance tweaking is just what this girl wanted!
    Thanks Faran but we have to keep that secret, Im glad to see your happy with our moods. looking forward to getting to do some ryding myself, things with the new store have been crazy and trying to keep up with the new pace of life has been a lot of fun but a lot of work...loving it tho.

pitbull

Len,
    Please let us all know when (or if!) you guys get set up to accept payments via PayPal...
    Thanks!
    We are setup and going on paypal now but you will have to see Jimmy on that one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

I adjusted mine and I am not getting that headlight flash from on coming traffic now.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the shocks, re-locaters and BajaRon's sway bar installed on my 2012 RT Limited and very pleased with the stability. All good investments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Some of you who have ridden with me know that I like speed and I like curves and I really like them together. My latest mod is making that type of riding a lot of fun!

Some history...I started off on a stock 2011 RS-S with its fairly soft shocks. I was really happy last year when I rode a 2012 RSS with Fox Racing Shocks, which made such a difference over the previous model. Really loved those shocks.

This year when I went back to the 2011, I knew I couldn't go back to that soft ride and I added BajaRon's sway bar. I thought I would love it, but honestly couldn't tell how much difference it made because I was back to a downgraded set of shocks. My recent riding had been on a Spyder with stock swaybar, but with Fox Shocks and I just couldn't discern a huge difference now that I had the old 2011 stock shocks but an improved swaybar.

So at Spyderfest when John put on my Elka shocks, I was quite the happy camper. NOW I could really tell the benefit that Bajaron's swaybar gave me since my shocks were similar to what I had gotten used to on the 2012. Ask Harvey - it was a FUN ride home after Spyderfest.

I really thought I was done. But this weekend Rickylen added his Shock Relocator kit and HOLY COW!! It's like I won a trifecta!

The Spyder was rock solid at 80+ mph on the highway with lots of buffeting from trucks and the occasional strong gust from threatening thunderstorms. Then I hit some nice curves heading to Eureka Springs and rarely braked into a turn. Spyder handled like a charm and stayed nice and flat except in some <ahem> extreme acceleration moments as I tried to wake up Nanny.

On my way home today I was blessed with some fairly light traffic on a part of Hwy 65 that has lots of nice tight uphill curves with the double passing lane so helpful for scooting past campers and trailers. So I scooted and my new triple threat setup meant I could take those uphill curves at just about whatever speed I felt like throwing at it.

My takeaway? Anyone on a 2011 or earlier RS or GS who likes to ride with some passion owes it to themselves to make 3 changes: (if you have a 2012, just stick with #2 and 3)

1. upgrade your shocks - Elkas, Fox or even shocks for the RT
    2. get BajaRon's Swaybar
    3. get Rickylen's Shock Relocator Kit

One more thing, I found myself riding one-handed a lot today, just giving my left arm a rest. Normally I don't do that much except on straightaways, but today I was just much more confident in the handling on curves. Still was safety conscious but I didn't need to grab both bars as much. It was a good day.
    Did you add Elka's just up front or rear also and what stage Elka's?