Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Default AWESOME combo: Shock Relocator--Swaybar--Elka shocks

Some of you who have ridden with me know that I like speed and I like curves and I really like them together. My latest mod is making that type of riding a lot of fun!

Some history...I started off on a stock 2011 RS-S with its fairly soft shocks. I was really happy last year when I rode a 2012 RSS with Fox Racing Shocks, which made such a difference over the previous model. Really loved those shocks.

This year when I went back to the 2011, I knew I couldn't go back to that soft ride and I added BajaRon's sway bar. I thought I would love it, but honestly couldn't tell how much difference it made because I was back to a downgraded set of shocks. My recent riding had been on a Spyder with stock swaybar, but with Fox Shocks and I just couldn't discern a huge difference now that I had the old 2011 stock shocks but an improved swaybar.

So at Spyderfest when John put on my Elka shocks, I was quite the happy camper. NOW I could really tell the benefit that Bajaron's swaybar gave me since my shocks were similar to what I had gotten used to on the 2012. Ask Harvey - it was a FUN ride home after Spyderfest.

I really thought I was done. But this weekend Rickylen added his Shock Relocator kit and HOLY COW!! It's like I won a trifecta!

The Spyder was rock solid at 80+ mph on the highway with lots of buffeting from trucks and the occasional strong gust from threatening thunderstorms. Then I hit some nice curves heading to Eureka Springs and rarely braked into a turn. Spyder handled like a charm and stayed nice and flat except in some <ahem> extreme acceleration moments as I tried to wake up Nanny.

On my way home today I was blessed with some fairly light traffic on a part of Hwy 65 that has lots of nice tight uphill curves with the double passing lane so helpful for scooting past campers and trailers. So I scooted and my new triple threat setup meant I could take those uphill curves at just about whatever speed I felt like throwing at it.

My takeaway? Anyone on a 2011 or earlier RS or GS who likes to ride with some passion owes it to themselves to make 3 changes: (if you have a 2012, just stick with #2 and 3)

1. upgrade your shocks - Elkas, Fox or even shocks for the RT
    2. get BajaRon's Swaybar
    3. get Rickylen's Shock Relocator Kit

One more thing, I found myself riding one-handed a lot today, just giving my left arm a rest. Normally I don't do that much except on straightaways, but today I was just much more confident in the handling on curves. Still was safety conscious but I didn't need to grab both bars as much. It was a good day.

Spyder Garage

Awesome news! Alas, maybe not for me... since now I want to spend the $$$ on the shock relocators...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Got'em Too

I upgraded my shocks too, a little twisting of the arm by Pitbull MS, the price was right, actually to good to pass up. Got the relocators installed too. Just got to get the headlights adjusted down a little, it brought the front end up about 3". I rode from Lamont's to Fort Payne, Alabama, it rode like a Ferrari, nice and smooth. Had Baja Ron's swaybar installed at Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    I upgraded my shocks too, a little twisting of the arm by Pitbull MS, the price was right, actually to good to pass up. Got the relocators installed too. Just got to get the headlights adjusted down a little, it brought the front end up about 3". I rode from Lamont's to Fort Payne, Alabama, it rode like a Ferrari, nice and smooth. Had Baja Ron's swaybar installed at Spyderfest.
    Hmm - I might need to check my headlights too. Good thought.

Isn't it fun?!!

Spyder Garage

Default Necessary upgrades

1. upgrade your shocks - Elkas, Fox or even shocks for the RT
    2. get BajaRon's Swaybar
    3. get Rickylen's Shock Relocator Kit

I have a 2012 RTS and was quite displeased with the wind buffeting I experienced with the bike until I added the above 3 fixes. Amazing improvement! Why the bike doesn't come that way from the factory is beyond me. Highly recommended! Worth every penny.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    Hey didn't they name the state after a country music group from Fort Payne?

No, seriously, is there a selection of shock relocators, or is there pretty much one place to order them? You all have me convinced. I want to get good enough to keep up with FaranH.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    Hey didn't they name the state after a country music group from Fort Payne?

No, seriously, is there a selection of shock relocators, or is there pretty much one place to order them? You all have me convinced. I want to get good enough to keep up with FaranH.
    Yep on the country music band "Alabama" with Randy Owens, I think the relocators may be different from each type of model, RT, RS, GS, ST, Pitbull Powersports have them, good luck on keeping up with FaranH.

Spyder Garage

Hooligan!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Question when adding the shock relocators does the tupperware still have to be trimmed on a 2012 RSS just asking im not to keen on cutting the side panels if not necessary.
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok ho is this Rickylen's Shock Relocator Kit

Like Faran,H I all so like ridding fast in to conners and out going up hill but with my soft Shocks on my RS SM5 2010 I tend to take it easy going down hill's I like what her setup is now, must people look at me and say how dose one 6' 10 ride a smale RS in the first place I just do
    Last edited by 8 legs nz; 06-24-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Hooligan!
    and the World could always stand to have a few more just like you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Agree 100% Faran! My RT-S is a completely different beast with these three changes. I also have car tires up front and they change things for the better too, although at this point you may not notice the improvement as it is slight.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8 legs nz View Post
    Ok ho is this Rickylen's Shock Relocator Kit

Like Faran,H I all so like ridding fast in to conners and out going up hill but with my soft Shocks on my RS SM5 2010 I tend to take it easy going down hill's I like what her setup is now, must people look at me and say how dose one 6' 10 ride a smale RS in the first place I just do
    Rickylen is the owner of Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO. His website is http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/index.htm. I don't know that he has the shock relocator kit in his online store yet or not, but you could send a message and ask.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Hooligan!
    What have I become?!

Spyder Garage

I haven't dove into the suspension yet, as I've been focusing on engine/fuel/intake upgrades. I'm finished now, and Elkas look interesting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    What have I become?!
    You don't want to know...

**Cough** Aerocharger**Cough**DocDoru**Cough**

Dang, this A/C is dusty today!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    You don't want to know...

**Cough** Aerocharger**Cough**DocDoru**Cough**

Dang, this A/C is dusty today!

screaming_womanb.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default shock relocator

do , you think in your opinion just the sway bar I have already and the relocator kit helped more then the shocks or the shocks helped more then the relocator kit ??

Spyder Garage

What have I become?!
    The best of the best!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    do , you think in your opinion just the sway bar I have already and the relocator kit helped more then the shocks or the shocks helped more then the relocator kit ??
    That's a tough one. (Take the now stated opinion with a grain of salt because those on this board who know far more about mechanics and physics may justly disagree.)

If you have the stock shocks on the 2011 and earlier models, that needs to be the first change in my opinion. So if you have BajaRon's swaybar and stock shocks, then your next move should be better shocks. Otherwise it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

As for which made the bigger difference, the sway bar or the shock relocators? I couldn't say unless I took one off and rode with just one and then the other installed. But even then is not a fair comparison since they perform different purposes. I think together there becomes a kind of synergy that completes the ride. They enhance each other it seems. I'm just glad to have them both now because the difference really is pretty striking to someone who rides aggressively or experiences highway buffeting a lot.

Don't know if that helps!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    That's a tough one. (Take the now stated opinion with a grain of salt because those on this board who know far more about mechanics and physics may justly disagree.)

If you have the stock shocks on the 2011 and earlier models, that needs to be the first change in my opinion. So if you have BajaRon's swaybar and stock shocks, then your next move should be better shocks. Otherwise it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

As for which made the bigger difference, the sway bar or the shock relocators? I couldn't say unless I took one off and rode with just one and then the other installed. But even then is not a fair comparison since they perform different purposes. I think together there becomes a kind of synergy that completes the ride. They enhance each other it seems. I'm just glad to have them both now because the difference really is pretty striking to someone who rides aggressively or experiences highway buffeting a lot.

Don't know if that helps!
    Great answer, Faran... but one thing we have to look first is if Spyderpoop has an RT (I believe he does) or an RS. When it comes to handling, RT vs RS we're comparing apples to oranges.

NOW... having said that: From an RT perspective I can say the sway bar alone makes a difference. I am over weight, but since I mostly ride alone I have no shock complaints and I have a 2013 so the shock relocators are "included" I have heard of heavy set riders that get the Elkas because it helps on the road conditions and the RT OEM anti-sway bar is made for heavy conditions (designed for 2 up comfort).

So if you are considering the shock relocators (2012 and below), give them a try... Pleanty of RT riders are happy with them!
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

So this is your reaction that the A/C unit at work is dusty?? Thanks for your concern, but we have inmates that clean and change the filters, thanks!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Default Agree but with some important caveats...

Your post is much appreciated and anyone following your recommendations will almost assuredly enjoy better handling performance from their Spyder. However I'd just like to point out one perpetuating misconception that might be interpreted from your recommendations. For strictly reducing body roll in the corners high performance shocks are not vital. If your primary goal is to reduce body roll in the corners you need only add the improved anti-sway bar and (optionally) a greater spring preload. Yes, high performance shocks certainly do allow for a higher spring preload but you can also achieve this by increasing the preload on your stock shocks and, as you do mention, with RT shocks on a GS/RS which have stiffer springs. Alternately you can simply purchase stiffer springs for any shocks. Purchasing very expensive high performance shocks solely to increase spring preload is not a good use of your mod money. In fact with a spring load so stiff as to reduce the actual shock from actuating, the value of performance shocks is even further reduced.

This has nothing to do with Faran's post but I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out that, unlike the anti-sway bar, increasing preload on your springs too much will adversely affect your ride comfort and possibly your safety. If you do decide to increase the preload on your springs you'll need to find a compromise that best suits your needs between reduced body roll, ride comfort, and safety. I recommend only increasing the spring preload until the ride comfort becomes unacceptable to you and then backing off. Don't try to eliminate all roll, this may actually be dangerous. A bit of body roll is perfectly normal and will not reduce your actual cornering performance much if at all. However most people do not like the sensation of body roll which may cause them to back off a bit on corners (which may actually be a good thing safety wise). A stiffer spring rate may also increase the possibility of lifting the inside wheel and significantly reducing the suspension systems ability to properly track the road especially when bumpy or when you hit a road hazard. Do you really want a spring rate so stiff as to reduce the ability of your suspension system to perform it's function just to lessen body roll a bit? If you do it makes little sense to purchase performance shocks because you're not giving them a chance to do their job.

So why purchase high performance shocks? Well if you're looking for significantly improved performance on rough or bumpy roads this can be one of your best investments. If you like to ride hard and fast on less than ideal roads, high performance shocks with their superior valving and heat dissipation will give you the best and safest ride possible. Buy performance shock for this reason, not just to increase spring preload which is a misuse of performance shocks imho. Ironically high performance shocks can also improve your safety in the corners but only if you let them do their jobs by not setting the spring rate so high so they can actually actuate enough to dampen shocks and sway which is their real function. If you set the spring rate so high that they can hardly move then you severely reduce their performance and your safety.

Bottom line: Know what your performance goals are before you spend your money. Know precisely what each component you purchase will do and how it does it. Finally know exactly how your modifications will affect the performance and safety of your ride.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, pro10is! I knew there would be someone more knowledgeable who could chime in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Great answer, Faran... but one thing we have to look first is if Spyderpoop has an RT (I believe he does) or an RS. When it comes to handling, RT vs RS we're comparing apples to oranges.

NOW... having said that: From an RT perspective I can say the sway bar alone makes a difference. I am over weight, but since I mostly ride alone I have no shock complaints and I have a 2013 so the shock relocators are "included" I have heard of heavy set riders that get the Elkas because it helps on the road conditions and the RT OEM anti-sway bar is made for heavy conditions (designed for 2 up comfort).

So if you are considering the shock relocators (2012 and below), give them a try... Pleanty of RT riders are happy with them!
    I'm glad you pointed out the difference, Erick. I was only trying to give a perspective for those on a 2012 RS or earlier model since I've no experience with the RT and these mods.