Thread: Oil leak

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak

Got oil on garage floor wherever I park my 2012 RT Limited. I ask the dealer about it today and he showed me some manual from BRP from 2011 saying this normal and the drain hose for the air handler, or something like that, drips into the pan behind the front right tire and it is normal for some to hit the floor.

Are you ****ting me. A 28,000 vehicle and I am to accept oil spots all over my garage floor ???
    Jim Lemkow
    2012 RT Limited Brown with Tan Corbin Lamonster style seat,
    two Boys slip on pipes, fender lights, cup holder, seal floor boards, Elka Shocks

2013 STS - Elka Shocks, Two Bothers Exhaust..lots of lights

Spyder Garage

Small drips of condensed fuel from the emissions canister vent hose are common...and should be minimal and evaporate quickly. Oil or coolant leaks are not normal, and should not be happening. Determine which fluid is leaking. If it is oil or coolant impress on your dealer that he is mistaken...or find a new dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

accumulation of oil in the airbox will also find its way down. Make sure oil level is on or below full following the procedure in the manual...oil leaking from the water pump is not good but also finds it's way down. Also careless oil change may leave oil in the bottom panels and leak down. I would check around to see or have buddies in the know check or find another dealer who will check into it..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Recluse View Post
    After a short ride this evening(25 miles), I noticed an oil leak. I only have 4600 miles on my 2012 RT. I am not happy! I am calling the dealership tomorrow to get it checked. I am mechanically challenged so, that is my only option.

I rode 850 miles on the 4th of July ..... No leak then. I had the oil changed about 1500 miles ago. I am a little bewildered and a little more than ticked.
    You may not have an oil leak, if you rode 850 miles in one day you probably just have accumulated some oil vapor in the air filter reservoir. Then it will condense into oil and that is what you may have gotten to drip onto the floor after your short ride. If it is a big puddle, then you have other problems.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa