Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Water in the Fuse Box???

Had it towed after the screen said "CHECK TRANSMISSION" and wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Roberston's Motorsports in Sandford, Maine took a peek at her today and said that water got into the fuse box and fried the relay. They put it under warrantee. I did ride in the rain last week, got the travel cover on her when I sought refuge. I usually use the travel cover overnight to keep the seat from burning me the next day! I've only had her for 3 weeks and we have had a lot of rain, but she is usually fully covered. Do I have more to worry about rain than just riding in it??

Anyone ever heard of this?

2013 RTS-SE5 435 miles

Thanks Charlene (dazed and confused at how this happened)

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't happen. Perhaps they need to look at the weatherstripping. Most have us have ridden in some pretty hard rains. It would be more likely to come as a result of pressure washing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN

I am surprised that rain got in a fuse box unless the seal under your frunk is loose or broken? I would think that rain couldn't get in there. I have over 4000 miles on my ST-S, but have yet to be in any downpours.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

does the travel cover enclose the whole bike? If so, you possibly created a extremely humid climate inside there by putting the cover on a wet bike rather than letting it dry first
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default Cover..!!

most fuse box covers have a water tight seal if properly closed. We have the RS and have a fuse box under the seat and one in front of the frunk cover seal. We have been in some heavy rains no problems. Not a fan of pressure washing any bike no matter how many wheels...bummer hope they find the reason...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Rain got in mine when I did not see that the helmet strap was hanging over seal.
    that was the only time. Also it sounds like they did not have the fuse box cover on right.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Default rain in the compartment

I also have a 2013 RT and rain is getting in the right side of the storage compartment. I have looked into why but i cant see anything in the way. but fir the compartment in the from no water has gotten in.
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

If you are getting water into your front trunk, there are some things you can check. If you have a trunk liner, be sure it is installed beneath the weatherstrip. Some have been installed incorrectly. Make sure the weather strip has not accidentally been pulled off the trunk lip. For the RT, be sure the trunk switch lever has not been bent, and interferes with proper closing. For an RS, place a piec of paper at several locations around the weatehrstrip, close the trunk, and try to pull out the paper. If the paper has no resistance when pulling it out, adjust the trunk latch pin so the trunk will close tighter. Also be sure your fuse box is latched and that the gasket on the lid is intact.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-22-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    does the travel cover enclose the whole bike? If so, you possibly created a extremely humid climate inside there by putting the cover on a wet bike rather than letting it dry first
    SACRILEGIOUS!!! I WOULD N E V E R Cover the bike WET!!! BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! ROFL!!!!

this wasn't moisture build up this was W A T E R there is a thought that the fuse box lid wasn't sealed tight...... we'll see... going to get her this morning and will get the 411 (information) and see it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation ...STILL........UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

YUP!! got her back from the dealer, she is running great no issues.... 30 miles... fine and dandy. Then the rain shower... not a tstorm, no winds, no sideways rain.... simple rain shower. I had the travel cover on her so the ftrunk was still exposed to the elements. I MADE SURE that the rubber seal around the ftrunk was properly seated. Sun came out, dried out a bit....... pulled out the book, looked up how to open it up and low and behold W A T E R!!!! in the right fuse box cover about a teaspoon and a 1/2 of water. Dealer is closed. So NOW WHAT?!?!? I have a motorcycle that can't get WET?!?!?!? 2013 RTS-SE5 $27,000.00. This is unacceptable!! We have rain the next 5 days..... Yes I did pay the 200.00 for the full cover... thank goodness!

PLEASE GREAT MINDS OF SPYDER OWNERS... PLEASE PUT ON YOUR THINKING CAPS!!!!

Most honestly and truthfully appreciated from the depths of my heart!

Thank you,
    Charlene
    Last edited by Charley711; 06-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick11Flor View Post
    I also have a 2013 RT and rain is getting in the right side of the storage compartment. I have looked into why but i cant see anything in the way. but fir the compartment in the from no water has gotten in.

When I beat the solution out of them I will pass it on to you!

Spyder Garage

Ran into a guy at the Owner's Event who had water in the fuse box of his RS. Of course, he was completely at fault: turned out that for some inexplicable reason he had left that black plastic cover (the long one that covers the fuse box, frunk latch and coolant reservoir) off the bike for some period of time. You guessed it-- rain just got right in there.

He said he spent months trying to figure out what the bike was having electrical gremlins, he just couldn't figure it out until the dealer guessed why!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

It sounds to me your leak is right at the top opening where the frunk locks and the fuse box is located maybe your lid could be adjusted down some to tighten the gap between the lid and the seal this might stop the watter from getting in and it would follow the gutter on down to the bottom.
    Are there any gaps or openings other than the frunk lid that watter could be getting into while closed when riding in the rain? You could also put a thin bagee over the fuse box and then lock the lid to seal out the watter in the meantime until your dealer can find out your problem.
    Good luck and fill us in when they find the problem it may help others in the future.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charley711 View Post
    YUP!! got her back from the dealer, she is running great no issues.... 30 miles... fine and dandy. Then the rain shower... not a tstorm, no winds, no sideways rain.... simple rain shower. I had the travel cover on her so the ftrunk was still exposed to the elements. I MADE SURE that the rubber seal around the ftrunk was properly seated. Sun came out, dried out a bit....... pulled out the book, looked up how to open it up and low and behold W A T E R!!!! in the right fuse box cover about a teaspoon and a 1/2 of water. Dealer is closed. So NOW WHAT?!?!? I have a motorcycle that can't get WET?!?!?!? 2013 RTS-SE5 $27,000.00. This is unacceptable!! We have rain the next 5 days..... Yes I did pay the 200.00 for the full cover... thank goodness!

PLEASE GREAT MINDS OF SPYDER OWNERS... PLEASE PUT ON YOUR THINKING CAPS!!!!

Most honestly and truthfully appreciated from the depths of my heart!

Thank you,
    Charlene
    If you have access to compressed air. Blow the water out and drive on. Call the dealer when they open. The dealer needs to inspect the fuse box gasket again. (Note; not the access cover gasket. Not the same) If it is OK then they need to take the trunk off and fully inspect the fuse box for cracks or defects.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

A lot of folks have mentioned the trunk lid gasket but also water can come into the trunk around the fuse box access covers. Make sure the covers are installed correctly, the gaskets are in good condition and the sealing surface the gaskets press against are smooth.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This isn't normal, so don't think that you can't get the RT wet. The cause needs to be found and addressed, but it is not a common problem by any stretch of the imagination. Dry it out, look it over, and see your dealer when you get a chance.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

??? What was it that you did so no water has gotten in ????
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Fixed colour so all can read ;-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This isn't normal, so don't think that you can't get the RT wet. The cause needs to be found and addressed, but it is not a common problem by any stretch of the imagination. Dry it out, look it over, and see your dealer when you get a chance.
    I very much believe what you stated and will be doing so....... this is NOT what I thought a NEW ryde would involve! I am calling where I bought it, it isn't my local dealer's fault, but now it is their problem I guess.

Thanks for confirming that I am not CRAZY!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A lot of folks have mentioned the trunk lid gasket but also water can come into the trunk around the fuse box access covers. Make sure the covers are installed correctly, the gaskets are in good condition and the sealing surface the gaskets press against are smooth.

Water shouldn't be in the front trunk at all right?!?!? This thing is BRAND NEW!!! under 500 miles. I can't see how the fuse box seals I hold the tab down push it on and it is snug. Dealer has a problem.... this is not acceptable.

Spyder Garage

Water shouldn't be in the front trunk at all right?!?!? This thing is BRAND NEW!!! under 500 miles. I can't see how the fuse box seals I hold the tab down push it on and it is snug. Dealer has a problem.... this is not acceptable.
    No; water in the trunk is not acceptable. Ever! You said you had water in the fuse box not the trunk. The other fellow mentioned he had water in the trunk not the fuse box. Two completely different problems.
    Now just to be clear. First you removed the access cover by pushing down the top tab, to get at the fuse box cover. Then you removed the fuse box cover by pushing the 2 tab at the same time. It is behind the second cover you found water and the seal is easy to see it's a bright blue, at least on mine it is. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2022 at 05:14 PM. Reason: ;

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had that happen on my 2010 all my fuses and relays were rusty. There is an o-ring that was twisted and it allowed water in. It was fixed under warranty also
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No water in the trunk is not acceptable. Ever! You said you had water in the fuse box not the trunk. The other fellow mentioned he had water in the trunk not the fuse box. Two completely different problems.
    Now just to be clear. First you removed the access cover by pushing down the top tab, to get at the fuse box cover. Then you removed the fuse box cover by pushing the 2 tab at the same time. It is behind the second cover you found water and the seal is easy to see it's a bright blue, at least on mine it is. Is that correct?

I have her fully covered right now and at 10 today there is a cluster of storms rolling through.

What I can say is this. I saw physical water in the fuse box yesterday after it rained.(travel cover on - doesn't cover ftrunk) I didn't see any water in the ftrunk. I was going to take the zip out liner out for quicker access and visual verification cause this looks like an ongoing issue.

How many ways can water get in a fuse box on a 2013 Spyder RTS??????????????? I guess is my question, because the ftruck was dry... the FUSE BOX had water in it and the hard cover was on there tight. I had to push hard on the tabs to take it off.... once I saw the water I was infuriated and could not register any other thought process. I will take a look and see if there is anything that looks amiss.

THANK YOU for helping me out with this. Between you all and the GREAT LADIES on GIRLS ON SPYDERS on Facebook I really feel like I've got people in my corner on this one.

I think there is a dealer open today that I can call ...searched the internet some have aggressive weekend hours at least I can call if I can't drive 1000 miles to get there... take the phone outside... even take pictures as I did (on the GOS facebook page).... I have to keep momentum on this or I'm going to implode

Keep on Keepin' on!

Charlene

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK I figure out how to get pictures up here now......... I can take more of the actual fuse box and add them today I appreciate the help and I want to share all information I have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

OK I figure out how to get pictures up here now......... I can take more of the actual fuse box and add them today I appreciate the help and I want to share all information I have
    The picture makes it very clear and I will try and clear up the confusion on your part. I took a look at the owners manual and see it does not explain very well and understand why you're confused. That cover in the picture is the one that give you access to the fuse box mounted behind the trunk and is fitted with a black rubber gasket to keep water out of the trunk. After a rain or wash you would expect water to be there considering it is outside. If you look in the hole after removing that cover you will see your not in the fuse box yet. That 2nd cover has gasket and is sealed against water getting in because it is exposed to water that may be splashing around behind the trunk. If you have water behind the 2nd cover that's a problem, behind the first cover it's not. I don't know if I explained it very well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The picture makes it very clear and I will try and clear up the confusion on your part. I took a look at the owners manual and see it does not explain very well and understand why you're confused. That cover in the picture is the one that give you access to the fuse box mounted behind the trunk and is fitted with a black rubber gasket to keep water out of the trunk. After a rain or wash you would expect water to be there considering it is outside. If you look in the hole after removing that cover you will see your not in the fuse box yet. That 2nd cover has gasket and is sealed against water getting in because it is exposed to water that may be splashing around behind the trunk. If you have water behind the 2nd cover that's a problem, behind the first cover it's not. I don't know if I explained it very well.

Yes I understand what you explained. There is an outer cover (case) which had water.. there was no water anywhere else in the ftrunk. Unfortunately when I pulled off the actually fuse box cover (has a line of fuses in it) it was wet too.

I called the selling dealer and he is coming up this way tomorrow for a delivery. He wants to see my RTS. He is calling the dealer I had the fuses/relay repaired to find out if they (unsuccessfully) found the cause of the water infiltration.

I promise to share...... next test..... we are getting a lot of rain tonight into tomorrow.. only have the travel cover on her..... we'll see what comes of it.