Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How are the 2013 models?

Hello Everyone,
    Hoping to be getting a new job and if all goes well, will have some more cash coming in. Was wondering what are the thoughts on the 2013 models? I see it is still a 5 speed plus reverse. Was wondering if the spyder still vibrated as much as the older ones did or have they changed the gearing. I used throttle-meisters on my 08, (when I had it) to help keep my hands from falling asleep from the vibration. Looking forward to any responses. Jerry

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you're talking about. I've got an 08 GS SM5. It's one of the smoothest motorcycles (without getting into that debate) that I've ever owned. Only my Honda Valkyrie was smoother. You could stand a nickle up on the valve cover and rev the engine without knocking the nickle over. A V twin can never compete with an opposed 6 so it isn't really a fair comparison.

I've got Dirt Bike grips on my Spyder which have no vibration absorption factor and I've ridden over 1k miles in a day more than once. My hands have been fine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I haven't done any 1K days, but I do have to agree with Ron. My RS could well be the smoothest bike I've had in 35 plus years of riding. Perhaps your individual bike had some issue?
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden Harlys for 35 years and compared to them my Spyder RT does not even seem to be running! I could not even tell what time my watch said on the Hog!

Spyder Garage

Default No debate here. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not sure what you're talking about. I've got an 08 GS SM5. It's one of the smoothest motorcycles (without getting into that debate) that I've ever owned. Only my Honda Valkyrie was smoother. You could stand a nickle up on the valve cover and rev the engine without knocking the nickle over. A V twin can never compete with an opposed 6 so it isn't really a fair comparison.

I've got Dirt Bike grips on my Spyder which have no vibration absorption factor and I've ridden over 1k miles in a day more than once. My hands have been fine.
    No Baja...... no debate here. Just my personal experience. I do not have the best blood circulation in my hands anyway but from owning 5 bikes including the spyder, it vibrated the most and bothered me. I loved my 08 except for the problems I had with it. Just staying in touch with the spyder riders. . I'd love to get another one with a warranty. It's why I am asking about the new ones. I would probably not buy the new model this year though. I hope to own another one in the future while keeping my current ride. Safe riding everyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    No Baja...... no debate here. Just my personal experience. I do not have the best blood circulation in my hands anyway but from owning 5 bikes including the spyder, it vibrated the most and bothered me. I loved my 08 except for the problems I had with it. Just staying in touch with the spyder riders. . I'd love to get another one with a warranty. It's why I am asking about the new ones. I would probably not buy the new model this year though. I hope to own another one in the future while keeping my current ride. Safe riding everyone.
    The 'Debate' I was referring to is; 'Spyder is a motorcycle/Spyder is not a motorcycle'. Not whether or not it was bothering your hands. I'll take your word for that.

It could be, as mentioned above, that your particular Spyder vibrated more than most.

Spyder Garage

The numbness in your hands was more likely a result of the seating and arm position than the vibration, although a combination of factors or an unusually strongly vibrating Spyder could have been involved. Changes in the 2013 were mainly in the chassis and suspension, and would not change either your position or the innate vibration, in my opinion. If I were you, I'd try an ST or the luxurious RT as alternatives if you want to join the Spyder ranks again.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on getting to postion where you're thinking about coming back to the fold!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Owning 3 s, neither one has given me bad vibrations. I love my 2013 RT as much (or maybe more) than my 2010.
    My wife LOVES her 2011 RS-S.
    Hope you come back to the World!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Welcome back.

I have the same kinds of problems and it seems no amount of seating position or bar changes really make it go away. I do have RSI in both wrists so that has a lot to do with it.

Going back and forth from a GS to an ST (I have both now) I notice a significant difference in handlebar vibration. I don't think this is really ST specific, I believe all the 2013's have a lot less handlebar vibration than the older GS models.

Go give one a shot. Test rides are cheap... unless you decide to buy one in which case, Welcome back!
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

I had problems with my hand going numb on my 2008 GS. Throttlemeister helped a ton.
    The RT is much smoother, has fly-by-wire throttle so you don't have to twist as hard... And best of all has cruise control. I believe the ST has these options too.
    As far as 2013 models, I personally would look for a 2012 RT instead. Many 2013 owners have had various problems.
    Good luck and welcome back!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Many 2013 owners have had various problems.
    Other than the alignment and ball joint issue (and dealers have the service bulletin on it, factory worked the issue on machines built in April onwards), what other problems???

After I got the ball joints replaced on mine... I like it better than my 2010!
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-Ltd that I purchased last February. I made sure the dealer replaced the ball joints and did an alignment before I took delivery. My Spyder handles perfectly on the road. When I was in Maggie Valley this past week I had the BajaRon Sway Bar installed by SpyderPops. I tested the sway bar on the Rattler going to Lamont's Barbecue and I'm happy to report that now my RT handles superbly in the corners. My wife even noticed when I took her for a ride when I got back that the Spyder felt more stable.

I now have over 3500 miles on my Spyder with no issues. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Go take a test drive, you won't be disappointed!

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

A few members out here have posted various problems: overheating, limp lode, parking brake issues, alignment and ball joint issues, etc.
    maybe those are the exception and not the rule, but I'd still proceed with caution as the RT and ST 2013 models are really 'first year' models with all the changes made.
    That being said, I can't stop thinking about that new black colored ST and how great I would look on it.

Spyder Garage

RE: Handlebar vibration on the 2008 GS. I had the same problem with mine when first purchased. I installed the handlebar weights on both the 08 GS and our 09 RS. No more complaints about vibrations.

Prior to purchasing the 2008 GS, I was driving a Kawi Vulcan 2000 cc. The Vulcan handlebars vibrated so much that my hands would go to sleep. My solution was gel gloves--but that only helped a little.

Neither of my two RT's have given me any discomfort with vibration on the handlebars.

RE: The 2013 models. I have not purchased one of these so I cannot offer any personal experience. My suggestion is to read the posts about them, take a test drive, and then make your decision.

Welcome back, and good luck on your hunt.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-20-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I can't stop thinking about that new black colored ST and how great I would look on it.
    The Spyder is an awesome machine, but it can't perform magic!!!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

A few members out here have posted various problems: overheating, limp lode, parking brake issues, alignment and ball joint issues, etc.
    So have previous year's owners... 2013 has those issues too with the alignment and ball joint issue being only on 2013. What about the throttle body on 12's and below? This list can go on, but lets be realistic here... they are machines and they have their issues just like any other mechanical device!

maybe those are the exception and not the rule, but I'd still proceed with caution as the RT and ST 2013 models are really 'first year' models with all the changes made.
    These ARE the changes that were made from the first years (2010 and above!)

That being said, I can't stop thinking about that new black colored ST and how great I would look on it.
    I'll let SomeGuy's comment reflect that one...

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Here is what happens to any model vehicle.

1- New model has issues that everyone wants addressed
    2- Some issues are addressed with permanent fixes, others get band-aids to get the customer back on the road
    3- In a new model year all of the issues are addressed with upgrades and improvements
    4- People say 'Don't buy this year because of all the changes'. (Changes that everyone was screaming for in the 1st place)
    5- Sometimes you just can't win

I think the gremlin this year has been quality control. I've run into this myself. You get the prototype and it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship so you order a bazillion of them. You start putting them out to the customer and there are issues because the production product was nowhere near what it should have been. I understand that BRP must bear the responsibility to their customer and I believe they have done that very well. I'm sure they are all over their supplier and wishing they had looked at the production parts a bit closer.

To us it's just a ball joint. But to BRP it could have been any of the thousands of parts that go into making a Spyder. Any one of which could fall into the same category without close inspection.

There is no doubt that the 2013 Spyder is much improved over the previous models in many respects, with more potential to take advantage of the aftermarket upgrades that are available.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2013 RS-S was built the last week of April and has no problems what so ever. No vibration and handles fantastic....Death grip or not. I guess part of that reason could be the dealership....Great place!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    So have previous year's owners... 2013 has those issues too with the alignment and ball joint issue being only on 2013. What about the throttle body on 12's and below? This list can go on, but lets be realistic here... they are machines and they have their issues just like any other mechanical device!

These ARE the changes that were made from the first years (2010 and above!)

I'll let SomeGuy's comment reflect that one...

As far as I know, the ball joint issue is unique to 2013 models.
    It took BRP 3 years (2010,2011 and 2012) to get the quirks worked out of the RT..... then they go ahead and change a bunch of things......trying to make things better.. but i appears they had some quality control issues, etc....

So I'm just saying I would proceed with caution on a 2013.. in particular the RT.. especially when you can get a deal on a 2012 right now. Just my .02

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The 2012's are tried and true. Add Baja Ron's sway bar, Elkas and you have a similar ride to the 2013's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    The 2012's are tried and true. Add Baja Ron's sway bar, Elkas and you have a similar ride to the 2013's
    ...Some what...I don't think I need the Elkas now that I have BajaRon's sway bar. I just added one notch of stiffness to the shocks.
    Last edited by Some Guy; 06-20-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I say it to myself every time I climb on and to others whenever they stop to listen to me - my new RT-S (build date May 8) is so many light years ahead of the 2009 RS I had that it's amazing to me. Of all the Harleys I had, the one BMW and the other Spyder, it is undoubtedly (to me) the most comfortable ride among them all. But then, of course, I'm very prejudiced as it is RED and that is the fastest and most comfortable color.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everybody.

Thanks Everyone, What I am getting from you is what I was looking for. I expected nothing less.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I purchased a 2013 RTS on May 28 and I love it. Had a lot of vibration initially. Dealer replaced the front tires. Problem solved. Could not ask for a better riding or driving machine. It performed like a champ on the trip to Maggie Valley. I also own a 2010 RS and I never had a problem with vibration. I have no regrets on my 2013 purchase. RED is the fastest