Spyder Garage

Default Brakes at 22,000 miles

What is everybody's experience with the life of the brakes on the RT? Didn't seem to be noticing anything unusual but after the brake alert light came on, and at that time we added fluid, the dealer says I need new brakes, he thinks. Guess he really doesn't know but said he ordered some in. Wouldn't you think they would keep parts in stock?

Spyder Garage

He may be right, since your fluid was low. As the brakes wear, the pistons push out, and the calipers fill with more fluid from the reservoir to take up the space. That being said, the only way to know if the Spyder pads need to be replaced is to measure them. They are very thin to begin with, and eyeballing them will not work.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced my squeaky read pads at 6,000 miles...
    10,000 miles later, and they're more than half-gone.
    Time to talk to Ron about some EBC replacements...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlady11 View Post
    What is everybody's experience with the life of the brakes on the RT? Didn't seem to be noticing anything unusual but after the brake alert light came on, and at that time we added fluid, the dealer says I need new brakes, he thinks. Guess he really doesn't know but said he ordered some in. Wouldn't you think they would keep parts in stock?

The rear tire on my RT looked weak at 13,000 miles so just before the Maggie Valley excursion I took it in for the 14,000 mile service and a new tire. The rear pads looked like they may have a few more thousand miles in them (according to our tech at the dealership) but since he already had the rear wheel and trailer hitch off we decided to just do the pads at the same time. (The dealer always keeps brake pads in stock).
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doing my rear tire the other day I looked a my rear pads and thought they we too thin and I am leaving on a 5000 km trip. So I bought a set of EBD semi sintered pads and picked them up today. They are maybe twice the thickness of old pads so they should las another 10,000 kms at least. New pad is about the thickness of the metal backing it's bonded to.

Spyder Garage

I have 28,800 mi. on the original brakes. Dealer says I have 30-40% left. I do downshift nearly every stop or slow down (SM) and I think that helps a lot. I have added brake fluid 3 times plus I had the major service at 28K and the fluid was drained, replaced and the brakes bled and adjusted. I may have them replaced at my next service ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Our 2010 RT has 39,000 miles and brakes still have plenty left.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.