Active Member One Legged Willie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ipod switching to aux while driving

My ipod is switching to the aux mode while driving. It worked well for two or three days on the rode and just started switching again while driving around town. Any one have similar issues? Thanks

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I too have this problem.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default iPod

It's being charging for 18 months, my ipod stayed plugged into my RTSM5. It played everry time and always stayed charged. Use a Battery Tender all the time, but now the rear trunk right hand accessory spot is niot charging and of course, the aux light comes on after 3 or 4 hours of iPod use (after I charge it at my desk.) Mitch, the super good guy who services my bike at Freedon PowerSports, has tried everything, replace many wires, checked relays, etc. The BRP in-house advisors for technicians told him to try a new radio. He should have it by now, I'm going to check today. I use the iPod,a lot, it's full of old guy's music from the 50s on up. Even the Kingston Trio - think I have every one of their songs ever recorded. They were the very first concert I ever attended, at good old Yukon, in Storrs, CT.
    Anyone going through this elongated troubleshooting procedure for the charging??
    Thanks

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Default iPod

It"s being charging for 18 months, my ipod stayed plugged into my RTSM5. It played every time and always stayed charged. Use a Battery Tender all the time, but now the rear trunk right hand accessory spot is not charging and of course, the aux light comes on after 3 or 4 hours of iPod use (after I charge it at my desk.) Mitch, the super good guy who services my bike at Freedon PowerSports, has tried everything, replaced many wires, checked relays, etc. The BRP in-house advisors for technicians told him to try a new radio. He should have it by now, I'm going to check today. I use the iPod,a lot, it's full of old guy's music from the 50s on up. Even the Kingston Trio - think I have every one of their songs ever recorded. They were the very first concert I ever attended, at good old Yukon, in Storrs, CT.
    Anyone going through this elongated troubleshooting procedure for the charging??
    Thanks

Tuck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The connector is partially to blame as well as the iPod OS, it's just flaky at times. I see the same issue with every vehicle I have an iPod connector to (4 different makes, same iPod). The simple fix is to unplug then replug the iPod, it reconnects every time and works until the connector gets juggled loose a bit or the iPod decides to lose its mind again. Replacing the cables and radio are a waste of time, the iPod interface is not stable, never has been.

Spyder Garage

Several things commonly cause this. The first is the DIN connector becoming unplugged during operation. It it vibrates out all the way you will have no iPod music. If it vibrates out only a little, it can still give music but will show "Aux". The solution is to plug it in well, then support the iPod so it doesn't bounce and tug on the cable as you go down the road. The second situation, which is the most frequent for me, is that the iPod connector isn't fully latched in the device. My iPod is in a case, and often only one side of the connector latches. Be sure both sides of the old, wide connector latch into place. A third situation applies to the newer version of the iPod connector. It can either wiggle loose, giving results as seen above, or use of an aftermarket adapter can cause it to act wonky. Be sure your adapter is plugged in well, and use the Apple adapter. Finally, if all else fails, turn off your iPod and reboot it. It seems to work best for me if I do so before I start the Spyder and before I connect the cable, but you should try various combinations to see what works for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default same problem

i had this same problem with my daughters ipod it never stayed connected. switched to my iphone and as long as it is suported well and not hanging there its fine.However i like having my phone up front with me to use the gps so i bought one of those little mini ipod nanos they are only about 1.5 square inches. it has worked like a charm. but when the bike is in the garage i unplug it and turn it off as to not wear down the batteries. this has never happened but it seems to like to stay on while plugged in.
    2014 RT , Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem but it was with my IPhone and the fix was rebooting the phone. So far it is still working If you have someone close by with a Spyder try checking your cable and IPod on their machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

A fine kettle of fish you sold us, Mrs Murphy. I agree with you Scotty, and the rest. I use a shelf part of the time, so guess I'll go to the trouble of continue goofing around - will try valcro and see if that's better.
    Mitch has tried a bunch of Apple devices in my bike and none will charge stuff the way the Nano always has been. I've got an iphone and an ipad, guess I'll try them too. The ipad was my 75th birthday present and after 6 months I can actually use some of the good stuff. I told my wife the damn thing has already aged me up to 78, what's her plan? I got the usual disgusted look we poor, abused old guys receive when you come out with yet another stupid remark!
    Thanks for the hints
    Don't know how the remarks a couple above got on here twice. Maybe she is driving me crazy!!

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine used to change from IPod to Aux... It turned out that the wiring from the plug back to the receiver was flakey
    Since the replacement of the harness; it's only changed once, due to the plug loosening up on a bumpy road.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Active Member One Legged Willie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the options to try, traveled from Houston to the Twin Cities in six via the UP and really enjoyed my music and will eventually need to go home and would like to continue enjoying

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ipod switching to aux while driving

One more possibility. I had the same problem. It was the connection cable itself. It was replaced and zero more issues.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had the same problem but it was with my IPhone and the fix was rebooting the phone. So far it is still working If you have someone close by with a Spyder try checking your cable and IPod on their machine.
    I was just about to mention yours. I actually did a special kind of reboot on yours, not just a standard power off then power on. I held down both the power button and the home button until it turned off and I saw the apple logo indicating it had begun rebooting.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default ipod

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    The connector is partially to blame as well as the iPod OS, it's just flaky at times. I see the same issue with every vehicle I have an iPod connector to (4 different makes, same iPod). The simple fix is to unplug then replug the iPod, it reconnects every time and works until the connector gets juggled loose a bit or the iPod decides to lose its mind again. Replacing the cables and radio are a waste of time, the iPod interface is not stable, never has been.
    I dont think my pod is getting a charge while connected and the is running nor will it charge whileis a rest. Isnt it supposed to charge under both circumstances?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It it's connected and working; it's getting power...
    Enough to charge it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I don't think my pod is getting a charge while connected and the is running nor will it charge while is at rest. Isn't it supposed to charge under both circumstances?
    Mine stays fully charged.

JT

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To support the IPod I use an old soft eyeglass case, the kind you slip the eye glasses into from the end. I used Velcro to mount it up high in the trunk. The IPod then just slips in the case and is supported and protected better from vibrations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good solution!
    And cheaper than buying BRP's MP3 bag...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    To support the IPod I use an old soft eyeglass case, the kind you slip the eye glasses into from the end. I used Velcro to mount it up high in the trunk. The IPod then just slips in the case and is supported and protected better from vibrations.
    great idea!! it is never good to leave things hanging

Registered Users WV Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to get me an ipod for my rt-s. Is there any particular one or will any ipod work?

Bruce