Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Now that the damage is done?

Hi Everyone, decided its time to save a $100. and do my own oil change. Seemed simple enough until I discovered the plugs were torqued by The Hulk, and the one in the engine was on its last leg. So, now that its stripped. How do I get it out? Thanks for any help.

Street
    St'09

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StSpyder09 View Post
    Hi Everyone, decided its time to save a $100. and do my own oil change. Seemed simple enough until I discovered the plugs were torqued by The Hulk, and the one in the engine was on its last leg. So, now that its stripped. How do I get it out? Thanks for any help.

Street
    Easy-Out, chisel, vise-grips...there are lots of ways. Have the new plug handy before you try.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard that it's possible to take a hammer and chisel to it in order to loosen it up... Set the chisel into the buggered-up part of it, and start tapping...

But frankly; that idea scares me almost as much as the thought of what the dealer would charge to do the same thing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've heard that it's possible to take a hammer and chisel to it in order to loosen it up... Set the chisel into the buggered-up part of it, and start tapping...

But frankly; that idea scares me almost as much as the thought of what the dealer would charge to do the same thing!
    Hi All. Thanks again for your priceless assistance. I completed my first oil change on anything, and did it on my Spyder. Didn't really keep track of time took because of the amount of time I allowed it to drain and not getting the new plug until the next day. But it was worth it. (Gained some knowledge) and will continue to do my own. The previously stripped drain plug was the only glitch. I didn't trust myself tapping on my engine with a chisel, so I used pliers. Thanks again to all contributors.
    St'09

Spyder Garage

Good to hear!