Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trouble when leaving Greeneville, TN

When I was leaving the hotel in Greeneville after the BBQ, my Spyder's check-engine light came on when I started it, and then went out. When I put it into reverse it made a clackety racket. I moved it around to under the hotel canopy, shut down, and asked another Spyder ryder if he knew what might be wrong. He was sympathetic but knew about as much as I did.

Then Flamingobabe came out and I asked her if she could help. She said to take the key out, walk 30 feet away and wait a couple of minutes. We tried that, and then when I started it again, it was OK. Now I truly believe everything Flamingobabe says, but I'm concerned that her solution may have only been coincidence and I have an intermittent problem. Or it's only when the engine is cold.

So I'm wondering if you think I should seek professional help (no cracks, please) on my way home. It hasn't done it since this morning. I'll be staying at Paducah this morning. Tomorrow I could ryde at Pitbull in Springfield, and at be at their door when they open on Tuesday. Do you think they could get me in without an appointment?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

It may not show back again. I would keep tabs on anything you notice and hopefully you won't notice anything.

Doc - Riverside

Post Get the codes.

Anytime it acts up make sure you pull the codes and record the and the time they occurred. To get the codes to display turn the key on and the press Mode, Set and the Turn signal at the same time, The codes will be displayed on the display.

Spyder Garage

On our trip home from the BBQ, about an hour out, my cruise kicked off and a DPS error message popped up on the screen. I pulled off the road, shut it down, took the key and walked away. Came back in a couple of minutes, fired it up and the check engine light and DPS error message was gone. Continued home another 570 miles and no other problems. This morning I checked the battery terminals and they were tight, so I don't think it was a low voltage issue. I'm thinking the tail of the dragon and all the twisting and turning upset the nannie and taking the key away, just allowed everything to reset. I'm just thinking it was a hiccup. I'll have the dealer check it at the next service interval if it doesn't happen again.

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Spyder Garage

I have done the key out/walk around thing on my once and it solved the problem. Also suggested the same for another ryder at a group ryde. It also worked for him on his new 2012 RT-Ltd.

As others said, keep tabs, and if you have further trouble--it is probably time to see the dealer. Some days though, the computer just seems to act up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    On our trip home from the BBQ, about an hour out, my cruise kicked off and a DPS error message popped up on the screen. I pulled off the road, shut it down, took the key and walked away. Came back in a couple of minutes, fired it up and the check engine light and DPS error message was gone. Continued home another 570 miles and no other problems. This morning I checked the battery terminals and they were tight, so I don't think it was a low voltage issue. I'm thinking the tail of the dragon and all the twisting and turning upset the nannie and taking the key away, just allowed everything to reset. I'm just thinking it was a hiccup. I'll have the dealer check it at the next service interval if it doesn't happen again.
    It could have been all the water we encountered getting into everything and then as it started to dry you picked up a few faults.

Enjoyed meeting you and riding with you.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bike threw some codes at me during the monsoon season that was SpyderFest 2013... We put an awful lot of very wet miles on, and I think that some of the sensors were looking to take a break...
    Since I've been home; no trouble at all... ( I just JINXED myself! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The Remove the Key and walk away from the Spyder I think only helps with one particular class of abnormal behavior and that is having to do with DESS module.
    What exactly is the DESS module?

Carl

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    Same thing happened to me on the Thursday ride, and I did the same thing you did and I have had no more problems. Went to BBQ and went visit someone in NC on Sunday and drove 500 miles home on Monday. No problems.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Digital Encoded Security System

It's basically the little radio receiver that listens for the "ping" of the electronic signature of the key.
    It's the reason why even though a key might work mechanically to turn the tumblers it won't start the Spyder unless it is electronically correct as well.
    Roger thanks much for that information. Another piece of data to add to my ever growing Spyder notes.

Carl