Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control switch malfunction??

Finally got on the interstate today and got into 5th gear after a few weeks of back country roads in 4th. Tried the cruise and every time I pushed the switch down to Set it went Off. If I was able to push it down so the green Set would light up, when I released it Cruise turned to Off. In over 50 miles finally got it to Set once. Turned it Off and tried again, couldn't get it to Set. Anybody have similar experience? Bad switch? Thanks.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad cruise control switch. I had the same problem with my 2010 RT. It was replaced on warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Finally got on the interstate today and got into 5th gear after a few weeks of back country roads in 4th. Tried the cruise and every time I pushed the switch down to Set it went Off. If I was able to push it down so the green Set would light up, when I released it Cruise turned to Off. In over 50 miles finally got it to Set once. Turned it Off and tried again, couldn't get it to Set. Anybody have similar experience? Bad switch? Thanks.
    Had the same problem the dealer had to replace switch was able to set it by pushing it up until it was replaced. You can also ride in 4th gear with the cruise control on it will turn off when you go into 5th.

Spyder Garage

it may be the switch but mine was the back pedel. I would have to pull the pedel up with my foot.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control switch malfunction??

I did have that happen on my RT and once we got home and shut off the bike, I aggressively pushed and wiggled the cruise switch and it started working again. Not sure if it was dust or not, but it seemed to have done the trick. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the cruise control switch on my 2010 at about 28,000 miles. Warranty was out of course--so that was on my dime. I do like to use cruise on the highway--so I would miss it if I did not have it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cruise

Yep, my 2011 rts did the same thing... they ordered a new switch and will install it next time I come in. mine now works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't...
    2010 RTac, Utopia backrest, spyder pops heat shield, KewlMetal grip endcaps, Gps mount, hmt tail lights, day ryders, siebel horn, Kohmo ast tire.. oh yeah wife of 25 years always on the back seat with q2 headset!Correction!!!!.. the Bastrop fires engulfed the poor spyder after 16000 fun filled miles. Now riding 2011 metalic RTS with nbv footpegs, heat shield, hmt with strobe, Utopia backrest, and the same wife of 25 years with g4 headsets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much do those switches cost?
    (It seems like we've had a bunch of them go bad... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine was replaced under warranty, still had the same problem afterward but the more Imuse it the better it works.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise

I am having the same problem on my 2013 RT S, I get up to speed turn the cruise on and the indicator says "Cruise On" then I push the switch down to set the cruise and the green "Cruise On" light comes on, then as soon as I release the switch the green "Cruise On" light turns to "Cruise Off" and does not set. The cruise worked fine for the first 600 miles then on my way to the 600 mile check and oil change it started acting up intermittently, I reported it at the 600 mile check but it worked fine for them when they did the test ride. Now its acting up again intermittently.

Spyder Garage

Don't think ours works either...just cannot get it to engage. I am going to let dealer know as we are still under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I believe mine was about $250 plus labor. They don't replace just the switch. The whole right hand module was replaced. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh technology.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't had the cruise switch issue...but I rode all the way home from the OE with my kill switch in the "kill" position!

Dealer has a new one on order.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

David, make sure you are not touching the brake pedal....the slightest touch will not allow you to set the cruise...I had the same problem....all okay now.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

The Cruise Control problem seems to be a common issue with the Spyder. Several times this has happened to me on the road. While cruising in 5th gear at 65+ mph I'll need to slow down (Cruise Control Off). The Cruise Control would not reset, I fiddle with it for a couple of miles before it finally resets again.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know this is an "older" thread... but my 2013 RT cruise control is not working either. Hasn't worked from day 1. I have been able to set the cruise one time only. I see the green SET come up, then it jumps to OFF (even with the switch still on).

Have not reported this to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

My switch would act up when cycled to off then back on. Didn't manifest itself until after warranty was out. So, switch is always in the on position, will set, tap up, tap down without fail. To disengage, tap brake. Works fine as long as it is never cycled to off. When it or something else in the RH switches goes south I'll replace the whole thing. Patrick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I haven't had the cruise switch issue...but I rode all the way home from the OE with my kill switch in the "kill" position!
    Does that make you a "Mass-Murderer"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwilburn View Post
    I know this is an "older" thread... but my 2013 RT cruise control is not working either. Hasn't worked from day 1. I have been able to set the cruise one time only. I see the green SET come up, then it jumps to OFF (even with the switch still on).

Have not reported this to the dealer.
    I encourage you to report it to the dealer. There are several possible causes.....bad, bent, or misadjusted clutch switch (SM5); bad brake switch; brakelights staying on due to debris or stop bumper keeping pedal from fully returning; operator riding the brake pedal; faulty handlebar control; wiring problem; or even low rpm operation. Your dealer should be able to sort it out for you. Do it while it is on warranty.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think that it may even be a thumb that's pushing a bit sideways on the button; when they want it to go, straight down??

Spyder Garage

They made it so you have to replace the whole module because of flat rate labor. The company i previously worked for did the same thing on some of our product.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    The Cruise Control problem seems to be a common issue with the Spyder. Several times this has happened to me on the road. While cruising in 5th gear at 65+ mph I'll need to slow down (Cruise Control Off). The Cruise Control would not reset, I fiddle with it for a couple of miles before it finally resets again.
    Question? Why are you turning the CC switch off to slow down? You have three options available to you.

1. Brake automatically discontinues CC. press CC button in the proper direction to reset speed.

2. Press CC button in opposite direction of " Set Speed " to reset CC to lower speed. then press CC button to " Accelerate mode" to gain speed and release when at cruise speed.

3. The way your doing it.

The real answer is to use it more then most of us do it. Use breeds familiarity which makes life so much easier IMHO! Don't just take my word for it try it an see for yourself. Last summer I went on a long ride and could not get my CC to work at all. So I found a shady tree on the side of the road. Stopped, got the book out and found the problem. I was doing it totally backwards. Armed with fresh data continued the ride al smile miles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    For the 2013 RT, it's $384

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

On my 2012, the problem turned out to be the rubber stopper (708000759). It was too thick and caused the brake lever to not return far enough to shut the brake lights off all of the time. It also caused problems with the cruse. I cut the thickness in half and all is good now.