Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust wrapping round 2

So after failing miserably last year and reading some posts on others wrapping the exhaust successfully, I decided to give it another run. last year, I was able to wrap the right side, but gave up on the left.

So far, no better luck than last year. I can't seem to be able to get the wrapping up close to the cylinder head. I've tried just starting forward of the oxygen sensor and pushing the clamp and wrapping up to the head and just can't get it to stay tight long enough to get started.

So, for all who have successfully wrapped pipes on an RT, how in the world did you get the wrapping to the head? I have the left side torn down, but not sure how to get the piece off in front of the oil cooler. This would no doubt give me more room to work and maybe even get two hands in, so I can clamp down the wrapping. I saw a couple of posts on this site and everyone seems to have left that panel on. I thought about pulling the pipes off, but that doesn't seem feasable, without tearing things even more, which I'm not quite interested in at this point.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't get any farther than the Oxygen sensor on the left side until I did the airbox removal. Then it was easy. Maybe others can chime in on how they did it.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default no luck either!!!!!

I to have tried, got the left pipe from the y back up to before it turns to the front,you did better than me on the back or right pipe it seems impossible just no room to work.so I have given up, took off the cat waiting for bypass pipe to show up this week. after I install i'll run to see how the heat is with this and most of the left pipe wrapped it's got to help some

Spyder Garage

I finally got it done. I took a break after i posted and waited for my head to cool off. kinda hot out here in phoenix, so that doesn't help with keeping a cool head. i think i drank four gallons of water trying to get this done.

Anyway, I was not able to remove the piece in front of the oil cooler, but loosening it allowed me just enough space to get my hand through the front and feed the wrapping and clamp all the way to the head and tighten the hose clamp. It was a beast for sure and my arms look like I lost the battle, but it's done. Wrapping turned out nice and tight too.

The back is a struggle too, but started just over the oxygen sensor, got the clamp around the pipe just tight enough to hold the wrapping, then slid it up to the head. It's doable with one person, but nice with an extra set of hands. I used a paint stir stick to get the wrapping through to my friend and he fed it back through to me. Once below the oxygen sensor, it got way easier.

Hope this helps someone else trying to take on this project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 06-15-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What no Pictures we need to see how its done.

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371387702.690515.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371387768.258060.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371387818.241485.jpg

Sorry, I only have completed pics. It was tough enough fighting with the wrap as it was. I used Thermo-Tec copper and once I start the engine the copper particles embedded will flow through the fabric and cure the wrapping. It'll likely turn gray. I chose this wrap, because it's super plexible, coating is optional and did not require wetting. I don't think I could have wrapped it as high up, if the wrapping wasn't as flexible. My hands would have hated it more too.

As mentioned above, if you start the wrap in front of the oxygen sensor and get it mostly tight, it will slide up to the head. At that point you will be able to tighten the clamp down, so you can get a tight wrap all the way down. The first three or four twists are not easy and I had to use a mirror to double for gaps. I was using zip ties to hold the wrapping in place to give my hands a break. Zip ties were a life savor for sure.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 06-16-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Nice looking job!! I had done mine in smaller sections so I didn't have to stuff as much around the hard spots. In the tight spots I only had a few wraps and used .041 stainless safety wire to hold wrap in place. The safety wire lays flat when twisted and doesn't take up any space like a clamp does.
    You'll be happy with the results, much less seat heat and no more hot fuel.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Nice looking job!! I had done mine in smaller sections so I didn't have to stuff as much around the hard spots. In the tight spots I only had a few wraps and used .041 stainless safety wire to hold wrap in place. The safety wire lays flat when twisted and doesn't take up any space like a clamp does.
    You'll be happy with the results, much less seat heat and no more hot fuel.
    Looking forward to the improvement. Also hoping it'll save the vacuumed lines, hoses, wires and components from premature failure, but that'll be tough to prove. The Spyder will no doubt benefit from the reduction in heat and run better overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Guys

I Personally want to say "thank you" to all that posted the how to information on pipe wrapping. At 72 you need all the in's and out's you can get. Now I think I might just try it because here in FL it gets darn hot even when it's not summer time.

update 2013-11-21

i got my pipes wrapped and it made a noticeable difference in two areas.

first notice of improvement was in heat reduction.

second notice of improvement was in noise reduction from the exhaust pipes themselves.

i was going to make it a DIY project but decided to get it done right so took it to my dealer and got a quote of two hours. The tech took the pipes off, warped them, tied all the ends down with stainless mini hose clamps and reinstalled everything taking four hours. The dealer stuck with the quotation and I am pleased as punch with the quality of workmanship. No rattles, leaks or smoke what more could you ask for?
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 11-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Exhaust wrapping round 2

Awesome write-up, reminds me I need to still do this to the wifes Spyder. Where did you get the wrap from, local?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Awesome write-up, reminds me I need to still do this to the wifes Spyder. Where did you get the wrap from, local?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Picked it up from Amazon. Couldn't find much other than the basic black wrap locally.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was going to have my dealer do it this weekend, but I think I will do it myself as they want to charge a fortune now.

How much improvement did you get on your hot leg?

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking how hard would it be to remove the pipes then have them Ceramic Coated.
    Shooter
    972-467-8077

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I'm thinking how hard would it be to remove the pipes then have them Ceramic Coated.
    Louis said they charge $275 to remove the headers, so it must be a bit more than removing a couple bolts.

Spyder Garage

i got mine from the auto parts stpre here in ottawa kansas,they all had it in any size and in big rools.i think mine was 60 dollars,but i have a lot left so i can wrap my new rt whin i get it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default E chaise wrapping questions

I have just started to research exhaust wrapping for our RTL 2011.

Bare with me on this one as I am in uncharted territory starting this deal.

Q-1. Where are you finding a source for the w rap?
    Q-2. What is the easiest brand to work with?
    Q-3. I hear (read here) that 1 inch gives a better finished product. Is that valid or a myth?
    Q-4. Is it necessarily easier to do the job with the exhaust system removed, loosened up, or left alone I did a search of previous posts and could find the answers to my questions. If I missed them accept my apologies in advance.

Updating the project:

It is done as of today I gave up on making it a DIY project due to not being able to convince myself that I had space enough to work in my limited garage space and the heat of the days.

Interesting results have been observed on the ride home from the dealership.

1) It definitely made an improvement in heat at the feet. I think my feet and legs are going to be much happier.

2) My ears and hearing is most definitely happier. It made the bike overall much quieter which is a totally new benefit. Apparently since I had them wrap from the header exhaust outlet to the catalytic converter and from the catalytic converter outlet to the exhaust pipe outlet to the muffler union ocnnection flange.

I never figured that the exhaust system could carry so much noise and wrapping it would knock the noise levels down so much
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 10-02-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update information

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I have just started to research exhaust wrapping for our RTL 2011.

Bare with me on this one as I am in uncharted territory starting this deal.

Q-1. Where are you finding a source for the w rap?
    Q-2. What is the easiest brand to work with?
    Q-3. I hear (read here) that 1 inch gives a better finished product. Is that valid or a myth?
    Q-4. Is it necessarily easier to do the job with the exhaust system removed, loosened up, or left alalone I did a search of previous posts and could find the answers to my questions. If I missed them accept my apologies in advance.
    A-1. Amazon has a pretty good selection and prices.
    A-2. I used the 2"x50' Thermo Tec Copper, because it's super soft and easy to work with, is applied dry and doesn't require a seal coating. The DEI Titanium wrap has been pretty popular among many SL members as well.
    A-3. The 1" goes around the bends easier, but takes twice as much wrapping and time.
    A-4. It's way easier to wrap with exhaust removed, but you have to disassemble half the bike. By then, it's best to send the parts in to be ceramic coated. You'll also need around $50 in gaskets and bolts to reassemble the system. Wrapping in place is a pain. You will get cut up and cuss plenty, but it's doable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a list of the curse words you used?
    I want to make sure I have everything I need

Spyder Garage

I saw a picture were Lamonster used the blanket from Thermo Tec!

Spyder Garage

:o:eek:

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

FYI, removed both headers 2 years ago on my 2010 RT-S, had them ceramic coated. Coating didn't make much of a difference so this year I removed the headers again and wrapped them in 1" with a much better reduction in heat. Don't bother with the ceramic JMO.