Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I spotted an imposter!

I was running errands the other day and saw this perpetrator in a parking lot. It looks like a poor copy at best. I see in the closeup that it is chain-driven. I'm thinking about paying the dealer a visit and asking some questions about it. Maybe take some better pictures of it while I'm there. Hanging a camera out the passenger window while negotiating traffic during a right turn was not fun!
    Has anyone else seen one of these or know anything about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Looks like that Chinese knockoff they were showing on a YouTube video. Think t is 250cc motor and is chain drive.

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe from China

Just returned from China. While there I tried to find more information on the 3 wheel version shown. It might be made in China but not available there. Talking to one dealer they said that the largest engine available to the public in southern China is 150 cc. Some of the police have 250cc bikes. They had never heard of or seen anything like the spyder. I also visited a second dealer and was told that some of the China motorcycle manufactures produce bikes in other Asian countries because of the restrictions on engine size in China.

Spyder Garage

I believe this is a Kandi Cyclone 250MB Trike

Check out their video demo of this bike. I sounds like it is really quality challenged.

http://www.supersportz.com/index.php...f45fgp0dm6i8v2
    Last edited by rcturner; 06-15-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those front fenders...
    It might actually not be a bad little scooter for around Town...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am reminded of the old saying: "Ya gets what ya pays for".

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

It's funny [sad] how some people knock someone else's ride, But when someone says something about a Spyder and all hel* brakes out....
    Just wondering.. A ride is a ride,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    It's funny [sad] how some people knock someone else's ride, But when someone says something about a Spyder and all hel* brakes out....
    Based on your unhappiness with the , I am guessing you would not be real happy with the copy version.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Though it could never compare or compete with our spyders it looks to be a cuite little three wheeler for the first time buyer thats looking for a cheap economical ride to start out on and maybe graduate into a Spyder.
    Personally i would want to see all the bugs worked out and have a firm network of dealers that could work on any problems that come up or you may be stuck on the side of the road with no way to repair it.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree. I love my Piaggio, and it's not a Spyder either...........................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: I spotted an imposter!

[QUOTE=akspyderman;640299]I am reminded of the old saying: "Ya gets what ya pays for".
    Price is cheap enough.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by dave01; 06-16-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: I spotted an imposter!

[QUOTE=mcaccamise;640327]Though it could never compare or compete with our spyders it looks to be a cuite little three wheeler for the first time buyer thats looking for a cheap economical ride to start out on and maybe graduate into a Spyder.
    Personally i would want to see all the bugs worked out and have a firm network of dealers that could work on any problems that come up or you may be stuck on the side of the road with no way to repair it.

Might be fun. Who knows.
    Last edited by dave01; 06-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

I think Costco has them for $499.95.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a piece of junk at best . Nothing looks square or in proportion .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Though it could never compare or compete with our spyders it looks to be a cuite little three wheeler for the first time buyer thats looking for a cheap economical ride to start out on and maybe graduate into a Spyder.
    Mike
    Maybe BRP could give them sum advice on how to handle service and parts.

Spyder Garage

this looks like the one, I looked at, tryed to drive a couple years. I value my like too much to try again. It was one of the very few, that mades a AMF HD look like outstanding craftmanship.I do believe most HD owners will agree that the AMF years were not great.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Based on your unhappiness with the , I am guessing you would not be real happy with the copy version.
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China.??
    Just because I'm able to afford a 28/30 thousand dollar toy, I would never be so smug as to knock another's ride because all they can afford [or need] is a so called knock off. !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kind of think that "smugness" might be a bit of an overstatement, Bobbo...
    Those "scooters" aren't bad in Town at maybe 30 or 35 mph... (I had a chance to try a roketa...), but if you try to push them much beyond that:
    They are more skittish than anything that I ever rode, drove, or crashed before...
    Still; they DO get folks out and in the saddle, so they're not quite as bad as we'd like to think...
    But I wouldn't buy one...

Spyder Garage

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China.??
    Just because I'm able to afford a 28/30 thousand dollar toy, I would never be so smug as to knock another's ride because all they can afford [or need] is a so called knock off. !
    You and I rarely agree on anything. You said your piece, I said mine. So, let's just leave it at that.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Soooooo... Are there any incriminating photos of you with "Sunny"?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it must have some value to someone as it was locked up against theft!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I paid 25k for my spyder. Look what I got.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote: mccaccamise: Though it could never compare or compete with our spyders it looks to be a cuite little three wheeler for the first time buyer thats looking for a cheap economical ride to start out on and maybe graduate into a Spyder.

Mike "

Quote: " Dave 01 Sounds all too familiar.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2 "

Just curious: I was one of the many SL members that wished you well in your new GW purchase. You have used this thread to come back twice and take a slap at the 's. Just wondering what gives?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default IMPOSTER

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Just returned from China. While there I tried to find more information on the 3 wheel version shown. It might be made in China but not available there. Talking to one dealer they said that the largest engine available to the public in southern China is 150 cc. Some of the police have 250cc bikes. They had never heard of or seen anything like the spyder. I also visited a second dealer and was told that some of the China motorcycle manufactures produce bikes in other Asian countries because of the restrictions on engine size in China.

China government has restricted Moto Bike CC to 150. Most Police there have 250 CC. However there is a worldwide motorcycle Wholesale Warehouse area in Guangzhou that I have been to. You can buy anything you want Moto Bike wise if you have the money. From the littlest CC bikes you can hardly sit on to the big Sportsters HD (probably a copy).
    There are any number of HDs, GWs, Hondas available and ridden in Guangzhou After Hours, midnight to 6:00 AM. No Motor bikes allowed on the streets of GZ during the day time hours.

I found the dealer for in Hong Kong (
    where I was venomized) who said there is probably 200 running around in China. I have heard more than 20 in Vietnam.

China manufactures 2 qualities of products... Domestic and Export.... you get what you pay for !!! Trust me the domestics are foul at best, thin, lightweight, often made with stainless steal (we all know is very soft metal). Mechanics don't tighten anything down to increase the chance things will vibrate loose and fall off later. VIBRATE is a key word!!
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default Say what you will..!!

I do like the single sided swing arm with easy access to the rear wheel... Don't know where you all would put that trailer hitch..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black