Spyder Garage

Default More on the SE tranny - creeping and lurching ??

OK, so I'm new to the SE - only a week or so. I do like it but have (at this point) 2 questions. I'm following the 29, 39, 49 mph guidelines religiously - haven't been near an interstate yet so no 59 into 5th. I'm noticing that when I am in 1st at a stop, there is no creeping forward at all and then when I do give it some gas, it seems to hang up a fraction of a second then moves along. (Same in Reverse - seems to hang up a fraction of a second and then backs up.) Is there some anti-creep mechanism that puts a hold on movement until you reach a certain rpm?? When shifting up, I notice a distinct fraction of a second hesitation (like a lurch) and then it continues down the road. Is that normal? Downshifting is like shifting in butter - smooth, quick with a little throttle blip - love it. (Don't know what's going on with the editor mechanism of these messages but I can't tab down to a new paragraph or new line - must continue on and on and on the same line.)
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an SM, so can't comment much on the workings of and SE, other than when you are at idle, the bike is working the clutch the same as with the manual. If you think of the SE as an automatic, it won't make much sense, but if you think of it as a servo operated clutch and shifter, it'll make more sense.

on your inability to tab and sometimes edit. Welcome to the latest version of Internet Explorer. I just switched to FireFox and Safari, because I got tired of dealing with the bugs....err I mean features of the latest IE.

Spyder Garage

I test rode a bike about ayear ago with an issue that sounds awfully simikiar to this. It was an SM but it turns out it was bad plug wires and the throttle body needed some work. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    OK, so I'm new to the SE - only a week or so. I do like it but have (at this point) 2 questions. I'm following the 29, 39, 49 mph guidelines religiously - haven't been near an interstate yet so no 59 into 5th. I'm noticing that when I am in 1st at a stop, there is no creeping forward at all and then when I do give it some gas, it seems to hang up a fraction of a second then moves along. (Same in Reverse - seems to hang up a fraction of a second and then backs up.) Is there some anti-creep mechanism that puts a hold on movement until you reach a certain rpm?? When shifting up, I notice a distinct fraction of a second hesitation (like a lurch) and then it continues down the road. Is that normal? Downshifting is like shifting in butter - smooth, quick with a little throttle blip - love it. (Don't know what's going on with the editor mechanism of these messages but I can't tab down to a new paragraph or new line - must continue on and on and on the same line.)

I have a 2010 RT-S SE5 . Yes that is normal when starting from a stopped position. As far as shifting when going down the road ,it sounds to me that you are letting off the throttle when shifting and then reapplying throttle once shifted. I shift by RPM, 5000 RPM to be exact and the do not let off the throttle when shifting up to the next gear. Hope this helps

I got frustrated with windows based computers and switched to Apple computers and am loving it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Glad to hear you adopted early to the shifting you stated. It will serve you well. No roll off on shifting though... Give it a try.

What are you idling at?

Shouldn't be creeping, if so, very, very little.

I have never had a split second hesitation to move for me out of 1st. I am beginning to hear of this, to varying degrees, with 2013's. just a couple have mentioned this. Doesn't seem right to me, but I suppose if it is a very minor and short hesitation, and there isn't a point where it suddenly "kicks-in" (clunk or click), then it might not be abnormal. I hesitate to say that since I do not experience it.

Keep in mind there is a clutch that generates friction to move the machine. The SE's clutch is not fully locked (stalled) until +/- 3200 rpm's (I round up to 3500). Up to that point it slips some (causing a bit of wear).

My concern is that your clutch is possibly not engaging as much, or as smoothly as it should when starting out. It is difficult to interpret another person's description of what is actually happening. Your version of hesitation may not be my version of it.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

When upshifting be sure not to roll off on the throttle and shift up at 4500 or higher rpms. Shifting at higher rpms makes for a smoother faster shift. The Rotax engine is a high rpm engine, the power really comes on at higher rpms.

Spyder Garage

Forget the mph, what rpm are you shifting at? You need to shift at high enough rpm that the engine does not drop below 3,500 after the shift...preferably not below 4,000. If you short shift, the Spyder may delay. Also, hold the throttle steady, don't back it off. The throttle blipper will take care of that part for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

tol - An idea for future SE 5 Spyder's. Factory tach with 2 RPM red lines (1 upper & 1 lower).

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hit your "help" button; it'll tell you which version of Internet Explorer you're running...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black