Spyder Garage

Default One Step Closer - Sena SMH10

Well, I got a great deal over the weekend at Amazon on the Sena SMH10-Dual. They were $222 (normally 260 – 274), so I pulled the trigger on the Sena's.

Mounted mine in my HJC RPHA Max and paired with my Samsung Galaxy S3. Works like a champ! Phone calls and GPS voice directions were loud and clear. Wife approved the phone-call sound quality after I called her for a sound check.

Now, just need something to ride! Come -on August!!!
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

Nickname: ULY (Unusual Little Yellow, pronounced "ooo-lee")

> Custom Dynamics HMT LED Brake Lights, Dual Converter and Magic Strobe
    > Kuryakyn 6183 ISO-Grips
    > Battery Tender Jr.

arntufun

We are looking at the same system, The best price I found was 228 on ebay with free shipping. Was the 222 with free shipping ?????

We are going with this system , because of the optional earbuds you can use. Helmet speakers are nice, but they can't compare to earbuds.
    Last edited by arntufun; 06-12-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm an Amazon Prime member, so the shipping was free. Sometimes Amazon gets some really good deals through some of their partners. This one dealer had a few for the 222 price. I checked on Monday and they were back up to $260. I was watching the price daily and got lucky.
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

> Battery Tender Jr.

Spyder Garage

That $222 price is very good--even with shipping added. I would recommend jumping on that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have the sena and they are great! That is also a great price!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Sena

I agree had mine about 2 weeks and Love them so does my wife.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Have the sena and they are great! That is also a great price!
    I agree with Netminder. They do work well. I swapped out a pair of J&M, ported helmet speakers for the Sena speakers. Also, ear buds are great but wear me out if riding all day. Makes my ears sore and there's few things worse than a sore ear. ;-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to log into the Sena site and update the SM10 & SMH10 devices with the latest software. Once you've registered the product it's a matter of attaching the UBS cable thats part of the kit from your computer to the individual devices. I have a 3/4 helmet with speakers, had the volume turned all the way up and still had difficulty hearing. After the update I had to turn the volume level down.

Spyder Garage

Default Firmware Update Completed

I updated the firmware on both headsets to v. 4.2.1. Performed a factory reset and re-paired my headset w/ my phone... all is good.

I keep a Windows XP machine around for compatibility and for stuff like this. I downloaded and installed Sena's Device Manager. It worked well; the only caveat is that you have to disconnect all other Bluetooth devices in order to get the Sena software to recognize that the SMH10 is connected. The plugging/unplugging only took a few minutes and was pain-free. Each firmware update took about 10 minutes.

On my XP box, during the update, I had to install new drivers twice, each time giving Windows permission to look for the new driver.- I guess each one is specific to the version of firmware on the headset (started at 4.1.1, ended up at 4.2.1). For each headset, I did receive a Windows warning that the Sena drivers hadn't been fully tested and OK'd by Microsoft and they recommended NOT to procede with the Bluetooth driver install. I continued, disregarding the warning. Headsets updated properly. On my computer, ther Bluetooth wireless mouse no longer works... checking into that. This, obviously, is being posted from another computer.

Cheers!!!
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

> Battery Tender Jr.

Spyder Garage

Default Computer OK Too

I let the XP computer sit for a while- had other stuff to do. Just checked on it and all - including the mouse and cursor - appear to be working fine. So, no ill effects from installing the Sena USB drivers that windows warned me about.

Storms here in Tega Cay, now. I'm guessing they were in Maggie Valley a while ago. Weather forecast for Maggie Valley looks good for tomorrow. Hope everyone has a terrific time. Wish I were there... maybe next year!
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

> Battery Tender Jr.

Spyder Garage

If you have Windows 7 or 8, then just install (free) MS virtual PC and you will get free XP mode. This will allow connection to USB devices, etc. XP Mode runs as a kind of stand alone instance within Win7/8 so it is a true XP install. Heck I have even run old Win ME or 98 drives on it!

There is also another way and that is using Virtual Box (VM software) which is also free. But unlike MS XP mode, it requires you have your old XP license.

Just a tip from a Windows IT guy

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Re: One Step Closer - Sena SMH10

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If you have Windows 7 or 8, then just install (free) MS virtual PC and you will get free XP mode. This will allow connection to USB devices, etc. XP Mode runs as a kind of stand alone instance within Win7/8 so it is a true XP install. Heck I have even run old Win ME or 98 drives on it!

There is also another way and that is using Virtual Box (VM software) which is also free. But unlike MS XP mode, it requires you have your old XP license.

Just a tip from a Windows IT guy

Bob
    I guess a side note that I run win 7 x64 and had little problem getting the software up and running. Meaning after I rtfm it went smoothly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "can you hear me now?"

Spyder Garage

RTFM is always a good thing!

Since I am buying my first RT-S that has the CB/audio harness I am now looking into the off the shelf SM10 myself rather than the double priced BRP module. A little research here has turned up a little inconclusive info as to if you can do that, but I think I will figure it out.
    YES... I know the dongle has a proprietary cable but when you have the equipment I have, I bet I can figure it out even to the port on the radio
    I doubt it is rocket science
    The problem might be finding the connector for the port on the radio.... But trust me... BRP did not make that! I have friends in China and if that connector (not the harness just the connector) can be ordered..... I will find it.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was looking for the deal and did not find it... $260 was the cheapest.

I have a set at the dealership waiting to pick up, but I think I need 1 more as I want to put it in my 3/4 helmet as well.

Anyone seen any deals on a single full face?

Also do they make a version of the 10 with the Tuner in it? I see the 5.

I assume the 5 and 10 will talk to each other with no problems?

Spyder Garage

We use the SMH10's, I have a 3/4 and a modular and swap the transmitter between them.
    Each helmet needs a mount but you only need 1 transmitter per person.
    You can swap the mounts- but they are cheap enough to just put one one each helmet.

Spyder Garage

I think the smh5-fm and sph10h-fm (half helmet only) are the only ones with radio built in. If you are going full face or modular you want to make sure you get the smh10 universal. The universal gives you 2 options on the microphone boom and a small wired one. The only reason I picked the 10 was prolonged battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    "can you hear me now?"

Spyder Garage

Default Pair of shm10's

My wife and I have a pair of smh10's and they work great. I'm not sure about the range but ours have worked at almost a mile.

Spyder Garage

Do the duals get one single broadcast?

as in if your linked to an ipod or phone playing music will both units get it or just one helmet?

Dont want to have 2 different music players going so i hope both units can join.