Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding? Why?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Speeding? Why?

We've all been there, done that. Gotten in a hurry for one reason or another. Then flashing lights, siren, ticket, fine, points, insurance rate increase.

Most of the time, even without the nuisance of all that, the speeding didn't accomplish much. Here's some facts to consider before you add too much throttle the next time.

Consider a 30 mile trip with a 65 mile speed limit:

30 miles @ 65 MPH = 27.7 minutes
    30 miles @ 70 MPH = 25.7 minutes
    30 miles @ 75 MPH = 24.0 minutes

That additional 10 MPH would only save 3.7 minutes, but in MO will cost you at least $83. That's a cost of $1,346/hour of time saved. Not to mention how many hundreds of dollars in increase insurance fees over the next ??? years.

Although it's taken me a few decades to do it, I no longer speed. I simply start earlier and enjoy the ryde.

Spyder Garage

Default Speeding? Why?

I second that !!
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Cool 2 days ago

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    We've all been there, done that. Gotten in a hurry for one reason or another. Then flashing lights, siren, ticket, fine, points, insurance rate increase.

Most of the time, even without the nuisance of all that, the speeding didn't accomplish much. Here's some facts to consider before you add too much throttle the next time.

Consider a 30 mile trip with a 65 mile speed limit:

30 miles @ 65 MPH = 27.7 minutes
    30 miles @ 70 MPH = 25.7 minutes
    30 miles @ 75 MPH = 24.0 minutes

That additional 10 MPH would only save 3.7 minutes, but in MO will cost you at least $83. That's a cost of $1,346/hour of time saved. Not to mention how many hundreds of dollars in increase insurance fees over the next ??? years.

Although it's taken me a few decades to do it, I no longer speed. I simply start earlier and enjoy the ryde.
    2 days a go I was riding down this back road doing about 10 over the speed limit and this HD flew past me, about a mile down the road he was pulled over by the police. I waived at him because I felt like he took one for me (could have been me)
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    2 days a go I was riding down this back road doing about 10 over the speed limit and this HD flew past me, about a mile down the road he was pulled over by the police. I waived at him because I felt like he took one for me (could have been me)
    It's always wise to fly with a canary!

I look for them wherever I go....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speeding in a car.. = hurrying to get somewhere or just being ticket bait.

Speeding in a bike ... because we can. Most posted limits are (from a bike's point of view IMO) set horrendously low for grandma in her Prius. On a bike we .. I ... get the feeling of flying in low orbit running well within the bike and rider's capability. Plus sometimes the machine just feels good running in its sweet spot.

I'm not talking triple digit public endangerment kind of speeding, but spirited riding having a good time kind of speeding. Faster than posted and probably fast enough to get a warning or ticket, but not fast enough to get hauled off to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Just got done running the Million Dollar Highway - mountain canyon carving at its best. Except for moments following RVs, slow riding cruisers or truckers, most of the time was spent at a spirited pace. Some of us like flying, some of us like plodding along smelling the flowers. I'm ok with that, just don't block faster riders or piss off slower riders.
    Last edited by asp125; 06-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My last ticket was in 1971.......it was SUBSTANTIAL!!!!!! I was written for 95 in a 40.... only because I knew the officer, and he didn't want to take me to jail...was doin a tad over 125.. HEY... they moved the city limits while I was off to school... and I thought I was in the county ... Cost me 2 weeks pay... I like to think I learned my lesson!!!!

Spyder Garage

Lol BUT if you travel @60 mph it equates to 1 mile every minute
    @120 mph it's a mile every 30 seconds or 2 miles a minute...
    soooooooo clearly if your gonna speed you might as well drop the hammer

ok clearly I'm kidding no one averages those speeds outside of NASCAR and Isle of Man

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love to run the Isle of Man TT course on a spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I learned my lesson long, long ago. I was written up for 105 in a 55. Could have been worse if he saw me a mile or so earlier. My young friend at work did not heed my advice, and was recently tagged for 137 in a 60. His would have been worse also, his GSXR will do about 160 stock. It just isn't worth it for me, so I stay within the spirit of the limit, and flow with traffic. But I am finding that given a choice of a Spyder speeding, and a bike speeding, a LEO will tag the bike over the Spyder almost every time. I think it comes from the poor examples being set by riders now, stunting, blocking traffic, and general two wheel hooliganism that is rampant everywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    Love to run the Isle of Man TT course on a spyder.
    They race side car (I think that is the most insane race of the week) and they are "racing" electric bikes... I bet if enough of us offer to run a trike superstock field we could get a race in... Just hope Dunlop and Johnny don't come to play

Spyder Garage

Default enjoy the ride

Go the speed limit, or lower, enjoy the view and the breeze in your face.

2013 RT-Limited Pearl White Chocolate Seat
    RT-622 Trailer
    Baker Air Wings
    Diamond R Arm Rests
    12 V power outlet in Frunk
    BRPTravel Cover
    Spyderpops Bump Skid, Belt Rock Guard
    Utopia Driver backrest
    RT Cup Holder/Accessory Mount
    ISCI tall flag Holder
    Custom Dynamics Run-Brake-Turn LED HMT Light
    Custom Dynamics GEN2c Brake Light Strobe/Flasher
    Tricled LED Flag Light, R/V Mirror Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Default It's tough..!!

I try not to and go with the flow. But recently got one in the car because they were out there in force and nailed the flow. Generally 10/15 over is fairly safe, but on the roadster we seem to just cruise on up and have to really watch it. You just don't feel it that much...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Eh... I go with the "drive with a purpose" frame of mind. I generally sit about 8 over depending on the road, conditions and traffic.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey don't knock "speeding" it helped put my kids through College! ( retired Cop!)

But in all serious doing "five to ten over" while speeding and ticket able in some locales, its the really high speed accidents that are truly tragic. in particular when innocent folks doing the speed limit get involved by the reckless driver. I also love to twist the wrist but it only takes a moment of distraction to change your or even worse someone else life forever.

Spyder Garage

The poster that mentioned grandma in her Prius reminds me that the two people that blow by me the fastest whether on Pyder or in the SUV are either driving a Prius (saving fuel for my Pyder) or
    have some religious expository sticker of some kind. Sometimes both. Curious eh?
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm all about the ride... Why be in a hurry to end it quicker?
    leave ten minutes earlier, take shorter stops, and enjoy looking around a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

This is almost a young versus old thing. When I was younger I was always speeding. Now that I have one foot in the grave, not so much. But strange as it sounds, I actually miss the 55 mph speed limit. Bikes ALWAYS got better mileage and there "seemed" to be less accidents. Now you have to go at least 10 over just to stay in the flow of traffic. Age as got to me. I don't care for going 85 mph to get from point A to point B. But if you don't you get run over.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Around these parts if you don't go at least 8-10 over people are crawling up your butt, passing you, and giving you a salute other than the friendly biker one.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Speed vs Smell

Back in 88 I used to commute from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville Fl daily. I was forever getting passed and seldom passing anything on I-95... One of my work buds sometimes would pass me and I would not see him until I pulled into the parking compound usually within 2-5 minutes later. He collected tickets all the time I collected none in the 8 years I was stationed there.

I enjoyed the smells of flowers in bloom, breakfast on the stove, BBQ on the grill, and smoking rubber on the interstate. He had ulcers and I didn't!!!

Spyder Garage

I don't ride fast because I'm in a hurry, I do it because it's FUN!! Zoom zoom.

Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

arntufun

Slower drivers forget how quickly cars are closing in on them and it does in fact disrupt the flow of traffic for others with sudden lanes changes to get around them. Slower drivers can pose the same danger as the ones with a death wish.
    Last edited by arntufun; 06-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    I don't ride fast because I'm in a hurry, I do it because it's FUN!!
    +1

I don't ride or drive slow, never have, probably never will (I'm 55 and not slowing down). Speeding is another story all together, it's about situational awareness. I see no reason to drive fast in residential or high traffic surface streets. I don't weave in and out of traffic on the highway but I maintain a pace that's usually higher than the average. I always stay within the limits of the situation and that includes the vehicle. I suppose that comes from years of training and practice having carried competition licenses from SCCA and IMSA and driving thousands of miles across Europe on "unrestricted" Autobahns.

The Pace is a great read for riders. It's all about the ride and not about what's posted on a little white sign.
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I observe all posted speed signs. There goes one now, .... and another one.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Love this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Hey don't knock "speeding" it helped put my kids through College! ( retired Cop!)

But in all serious doing "five to ten over" while speeding and ticket able in some locales, its the really high speed accidents that are truly tragic. in particular when innocent folks doing the speed limit get involved by the reckless driver. I also love to twist the wrist but it only takes a moment of distraction to change your or even worse someone else life forever.
    Still at it. Speeders keep me employed. Drive reasonably and take care out there. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, and I know what that urge feels like to twist open the throttle...oh it feels good....Be safe.

Spyder Garage

Like the old comedy routine said: I'm going the perfect speed. Everyone driving faster than me is a maniac and everyone going slower is an idiot.