Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    So if your in "limp at home mode" you will drive 1 & 1/2 hours to get service?

Maybe I am naive here but if I buy a vehicle for $24K, I do actually expect to not have to trailer it to get service...
    Again as I said in my original post, I understand about forums and "bad news". But I also expect a dealer at least within 1 hour to be able to service me. ESPECIALLY when I have 4 of them selling Spyders within a 30 mile range!

Maybe I am just catching them on a bad day or something? Or maybe Sypders are so new out here, those dealers have to catch up... I dunno but it has me real worried NEW PURCHASE or USED.....

I think I am going to try whittier fun center again. At least they knew what a spyder was and had some knowledge. It is a long trip for me (compared to 3 other dealers REAL CLOSE) but might be the dealer I need.

I will call them tomorrow.

Bob
    If I had 4 dealers that close I would make a personal visit to each one and talk with the service manager. It's hard to read a face over the phone or know how many people are pulling at their arm while you talk to them on the phone. You never can tell they might have an even better deal sitting on their lot...

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I wouldn't call $24,000 a steal... but it's a decent deal. You can find brand new 2012 RT limited editions out there for around $22k maybe a bit less.. with full warranty.
    You probly could,but in what part of the country?

Spyder Garage

Yes that is me! I am Finless Bob from Helifreak. You into RC Helis?
    Yes I was, backed off them in the last year with my Spyder activities and recumbent bike (velomobile) passion. Not enough hours in the day for everything I want to do!

Helifreak's site and your great video's sure helped me build a few helicopters. Thank you!!

I think you will find Spyderlover's as helpful and friendly as Helifreak's. Good luck on your Spyder search. I'm enjoying my 2012 RT-S.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Call BRP

Finless,

Call BRP and have the VIN info handy. http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/con.../north-america They can tell you what campaigns have been performed and ask the seller for records. I'm sure he/she would gladly provide them to sell their machine. He already disclosed his issues with DPS. Tell him you agree to that price, so long as he can produce all records.

In as far as buying the extended warranty is concerned, if you have two years left on the original, then you have two years to think about it. If the original is not BRP Best or plus, then maybe you can consider advantages/disadvantages.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

Thanks.... I tried that just now... NOTHING in that database in my area! La Quinta is 2 hours from me

I feel like an alien on a different planet out here is So Cal....
    I can't be the first person to come here asking for a good dealer in my area? Or am I?

Thanks!
    Bob

As JT has suggested you should meet with a dealer service manager face to face. No doubt you know the benefits of that. Here's the dealer I and several others in the area use. Malcolm has been around since the 60's.

For service:
    Fifty miles from you off the 91 FW -

Malcolm Smith Motorsports - 951-687-1300.

Service Manager > 'Alexander Smith'

Regular service needs.

951-687-1300 - Ask for the service department, then ask for Joe. (service writer)

Great BRP tech by the name of Henry DeLano. You can trust him.

Surf Malcolm's web site. I'm not talking out of school here. It's all there. Just trying to give ya a head start.

Questions. PM me.

Jer
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-11-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default In person visit

A phone call - you are just 'fishing' and the person on the other end is busy and just does not have time. That is how a dealer can react to your call. I fully agree with this post: "If I had 4 dealers that close I would make a personal visit to each one and talk with the service manager. It's hard to read a face over the phone or know how many people are pulling at their arm while you talk to them on the phone. You never can tell they might have an even better deal sitting on their lot...

JT"
    Last edited by Don in E Texas; 06-11-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Perfect! Thanks Jerbear... I did not know about this dealer as it did not even show up on BRP's "find a dealer" area.

The four I have within 1 hour
    Mission Motor Sports
    Redondo Beach Motor Sports
    Whittier Fun Center
    Castaic Jet World

I did visit 2 of the dealers I talk about but no service manager was available either day I was there.
    Whittier Fun Center
    Redondo Beach Motor sports

However Whittier Fun Center was helpful as best they could on a Sunday!
    Redondo Beach... well let me just say that I stood in the show room floor of the Spyder area for 1/2 hour before anyone even walked up to me! I was there mid week on a Wednesday. Let me just say... NOT impressed and the Service guy I asked about running a VIN said he cannot do that! Privacy act or something

I will call and visit Malcom Smith's.... It's a little farther away from me but not too bad! Thanks Jerbear!

I may pull the trigger on this Limited model especially now that I know I can add an extended for $800!

Jerbear, can I ask how I go about doing that? The guy is in Escondido. I would probably have to ride it to Malcom's or Escondido to use a dealer for transfer. I have bought and sold cars before without doing anything at the dealer just the DMV paper work. Is there some process that is different here?
    Recommendation please?

Thanks!
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Extended warranty

Perfect! Thanks Jerbear... I did not know about this dealer as it did not even show up on BRP's "find a dealer" area.

The four I have within 1 hour
    Mission Motor Sports
    Redondo Beach Motor Sports
    Whittier Fun Center
    Castaic Jet World

I did visit 2 of the dealers I talk about but no service manager was available either day I was there.
    Whittier Fun Center
    Redondo Beach Motor sports

However Whittier Fun Center was helpful as best they could on a Sunday!
    Redondo Beach... well let me just say that I stood in the show room floor of the Spyder area for 1/2 hour before anyone even walked up to me! I was there mid week on a Wednesday. Let me just say... NOT impressed and the Service guy I asked about running a VIN said he cannot do that! Privacy act or something

I will call and visit Malcom Smith's.... It's a little farther away from me but not too bad! Thanks Jerbear!

I may pull the trigger on this Limited model especially now that I know I can add an extended for $800!

Jerbear, can I ask how I go about doing that? The guy is in Escondido. I would probably have to ride it to Malcom's or Escondido to use a dealer for transfer. I have bought and sold cars before without doing anything at the dealer just the DMV paper work. Is there some process that is different here? Recommendation please?

Bob
    Extended warranty are available here from two site sponsors(price? talk to them). They will probably help walk you through the proceess of notifying BRP of change of ownership.

http://www.bertsmegamall.com/

http://hondaeastsuperstore.com/Store...t=2&key=spyder

There may well be a dealer closer to you. It's simply that I do not have any first hand knowledge of them.

Spyder Garage

OK so there is some BRP process you have to go through for transfer of warrantee.

OK I am on it and research shall be done to find out what that process is.

Thanks!
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Arrow

OK so there is some BRP process you have to go through for transfer of warrantee.

OK I am on it and research shall be done to find out what that process is.

Thanks!
    Bob
    It is not a big deal or a major undertaking. If you had the Owners Manual, it contains an ownership transfer form.

Do a web search.

' Owners manual 2012 Can Am Spyder Roadster RT '

will be pdf

Spyder Garage

FYI... here is the limited I am talking about.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3862497370.html

Seems like a great deal to me?

Bob

Spyder Garage

Bob
    He has a lot of stuff going with the Spyder... seems like a good deal to me.

JT

Spyder Garage

Buy new, either a 2013 RT base model with SE5 or a 2012 leftover. Our 2013 RT base with SE5 was $24800 OTD. There were 2012 leftovers for $2000 less. The Spyder is about as reliable as a Harley or BMW, about 25 percent will have a major problem. So you definitely want a good warranty. But we have had no problems and most won't. It is a good trike with many safety features.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Bob
    Really like the Lava Bronze......almost pulled the triger on one msyelf.

It's time for you to be there or be square.......

good luck

Bob
    Really like the Lava Bronze......almost pulled the trigger on one myself.

It's time for you to be there or be square.......

good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    Buy new, either a 2013 RT base model with SE5 or a 2012 leftover. Our 2013 RT base with SE5 was $24800 OTD. There were 2012 leftovers for $2000 less. The Spyder is about as reliable as a Harley or BMW, about 25 percent will have a major problem. So you definitely want a good warranty. But we have had no problems and most won't. It is a good trike with many safety features.
    My 2012 RT-S SE5 was $22,500 OTD but did not include a RS622 trailer, trailer cover, 2 spyder covers, helmets, head sets, and did not include the Limited options, etc. But you can never tell till you shop...

JT

Spyder Garage

Hello Bob, I was in the same position as you when I was looking for my RT. Contacted every dealer in Calif with very little luck then came across Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo Beach 310-220-2223 Delt with J.B. Jonah Brede Great service and very knowledgeable Techs. I had to drive 10 hrs round trip to pick it up but well worth it. Before I got there they checked all recalls and even replaced the throttle body and the Spyder had 0 miles on it. the fuel gage had to be replaced as it bounced but the warranty covered that. It has been problem free since I brought it home. I would have them do my service but like I said 10 hrs round trip. I bought the RTS-Sm5 because I have been riding for over 42+ yrs and like the manual shift. Good Luck on your search. Glenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    My 2012 RT-S SE5 was $22,500 OTD but did not include a RS622 trailer, trailer cover, 2 spyder covers, helmets, head sets, and did not include the Limited options, etc. But you can never tell till you shop...

JT
    I can get a 2012 RT-S SE5 new for $23,500 here. Best price I have found for a new one from a dealer. And yes that is after negotiating. To me that Limited with trailer with only 1,800 miles on it, is a far better deal IF it is fixed and now trouble free!

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default N00b saying hello and looking for your thoughts on a RT

I can get a 2012 RT-S SE5 new for $23,500 here. Best price I have found for a new one from a dealer. And yes that is after negotiating. To me that Limited with trailer with only 1,800 miles on it, is a far better deal IF it is fixed and now trouble free!

Bob
    Someone here reported repeated DPS failures and was finally traced down to a bad ground. Even if this ones not fixed, it would be worth stripping down the Tupperware and checking every connection. For the few things I've found on mine, it may not be a bad idea to strip any used bike down, just to make sure nothing obvious has been missed....or added you don't know about.

Found a loose connection and coolant leak on mine when I was doing other things. They no doubt saved me some grief.

Spyder Garage

While I have watched a few videos already of taking all the front panels off and even doing the oil change, I am not sure I am ready for that yet. I am very mechanically inclined but not sure I would feel confident doing that right away
    And for sure the wife would freak! I can hear it now. "What you just got it and now took it all apart!"

Bob

Spyder Garage

Talking

While I have watched a few videos already of taking all the front panels off and even doing the oil change, I am not sure I am ready for that yet. I am very mechanically inclined but not sure I would feel confident doing that right away
    And for sure the wife would freak! I can hear it now. "What you just got it and now took it all apart!"

Bob
    You'll enjoy tinkering with the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    just wait till she sees the guts!

Spyder Garage

Bob

JT

Spyder Garage

Man this forum moves fast! My post got onto page 5 in no time!
    Love to see so many people talking and helping each other

OK I am pulling the trigger!

I found a 2011 RT-S SM5. I decided I really do want the manual tranny..... I wont go into all my reasons why but let me just say it's because of reading on this forum and other places.

Stats:
    2011 RT-S SM5 with 500 miles on it.
    It's had it's 600 mile service.
    VIN shows no other service history for warranty.
    Has upgrades on top of standard -S models.
    BEST extended warranty untill Jan 2016
    Always garaged IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED garage! The guy makes custom cars and electric cars.
    I assume that for sure this helps with 2 year old vacuum hoses etc.. Especially with only 500 miles on it?

I go to see it next weekend with cash in hand and if all checks out... I am a new owner!

Thanks all for your opinions and wisdom... I will be participating on this forum for sure... You all are a great bunch!

I also know I have LOTS to learn which should be the fun part!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-13-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good deal You're going to enjoy your new ride

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default N00b saying hello and looking for your thoughts on a RT

Sweet. Post back when you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD