Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Location of Battery terminals - Ground to frame and Positive to ?

Sorry if this has been asked before

I have a Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model

A lot of threads advise to check the Relays, Fuses and Battery terminals

I just want to be sure my Battery terminals are tight - I can check the terminals on the battery end but I am not sure where the Ground terminal to the Frame is located and what tupperware I may have to remove to ensure its clean and tight
    Also do I need to check the Positive Terminal from the battery to where it connects to the Spyder as I am not sure where this lead goes to and again if it needs to be cleaned and check for tightness

If anyone has a diagram or photos which they could post to ensure I am looking at the correct terminals this would be helpful

Thanks
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

The battery terminals themselves are inside the bodywork. You have to remove the left mirror, deflector, and some left side panels to get to them. The rear frame ground is the negative jump start terminal, under the seat toward the right rear. Just raise the seat for that one. The front frame jumper is inside the bodywork on the left side. You may be able to access it from the left wheelwell, but more likely the front trunk will have to be removed. The good news is that it doesn't directly affect the battery charging, and also isn't often found loose. For that matter neaither is the rear one unless someone tries to loosen it to hook something up, and finds that it has a hard to access nut at the back that must be held.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The battery terminals themselves are inside the bodywork. You have to remove the left mirror, deflector, and some left side panels to get to them. The rear frame ground is the negative jump start terminal, under the seat toward the right rear. Just raise the seat for that one. The front frame jumper is inside the bodywork on the left side. You may be able to access it from the left wheelwell, but more likely the front trunk will have to be removed. The good news is that it doesn't directly affect the battery charging, and also isn't often found loose. For that matter neaither is the rear one unless someone tries to loosen it to hook something up, and finds that it has a hard to access nut at the back that must be held.
    Thanks Nancys Toy - Your reply has been a great help - Checked the Rear ground one and it is tight as I was aware not to use this terminal for anything else due to the problem ref the access to the nut at the back
    I take your advice ref the one under the Front trunk and will leave it unless I need to remove the trunk anytime
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Thanks Nancys Toy - Your reply has been a great help - Checked the Rear ground one and it is tight as I was aware not to use this terminal for anything else due to the problem ref the access to the nut at the back
    I take your advice ref the one under the Front trunk and will leave it unless I need to remove the trunk anytime
    I know about both the neg. and pos. under the seat (i've hooked up aux power on those two). also pulled panels and checked the battery posts a few times for tightness. Didn't know about a terminal behind the frunk. Does it feed a fuse block?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I know about both the neg. and pos. under the seat (i've hooked up aux power on those two). also pulled panels and checked the battery posts a few times for tightness. Didn't know about a terminal behind the frunk. Does it feed a fuse block?
    It picks up all the various connections at the front of the Spyder, including the main harness ground...at least it does on the RS. I haven't looked too closely at the RT.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!