Spyder Garage

Default RTS gas gauge movement

I know I have read on here about an upgrade to a different gas gauge for RTS and was wondering if this is a recall or is something you have to pay out of pocket for. To me the gas gauge is very cheaply made and reminds me of a gauge for like a lawn mower. You would think that this bike would have the top of the line items on it for the price they sell these bikes for. Just my 2 cents worth. Please let me know something about the gas gauge whether recall or out of pocket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I know I have read on here about an upgrade to a different gas gauge for RTS and was wondering if this is a recall or is something you have to pay out of pocket for. To me the gas gauge is very cheaply made and reminds me of a gauge for like a lawn mower. You would think that this bike would have the top of the line items on it for the price they sell these bikes for. Just my 2 cents worth. Please let me know something about the gas gauge whether recall or out of pocket.
    You can ask your dealer about a service bulletin being done. That is under warranty, but you should be able to see if you have issues (bouncing needle or not working at all). Otherwise, you can remove the dash and disconnect power from the gauges. When you power up the , you can read the gas and temp on the LCD screen. Other people have replaced the gauges with Voltmeter's, digital temp meters and other things...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

The bouncing gas gauge is an issue that is mentioned often. I had two gas gauges replaced on my 2010--under warranty. The second worked for a while and then did its bouncing act again.

Another complaint is that it does not accurately represent how much gas is in the tank. Some find it on empty shortly after the refil light comes on. Most will have about 1.5 gallons left at the time of the refill light.

Our 2011 was similar--with a bouncing guage. My fix was just to disconnect the analogs and let the digital gauges do their thing. We now run digital guages on both 's and don't even think about the problem any more.

Also suggested--reset a tripmeter to zero every time you fill up. You will soon get a feel when and where the refill light will go on and how many gallons you will be needing. On mine: the light goes on about 140-150 miles. I put in 5 gallons. My average mpg--consistently is 30 mph or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Talking

ShawnFZR
    10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
    BRP has posted a new quality control bulletin (#2012-12) for 2011 & 2012 RT-A&C, S, Techno and LTD model analog fuel gauges that have a problem described as "Analog fuel gauge needle does not have any dampening causing a variable fuel level reading". We know it as the bouncing fuel gauge...

We have to verify that the problem exists, the bulletin even says "NOTE: Repair Only if the Described Symptoms Exist". If so, the gauge is replaced with an updated gauge and a software update for the cluster is installed through BUDS. The new analog fuel gauge has a stepper motor that eliminates or reduces the bounce.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS gas gauge movement

Love how they skipped the 2010s on this one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Love how they skipped the 2010s on this one.
    I agree. Many of us have the 2010's and have laid the groundwork for the following RT sales that have grown tremendously. I am not one to complain but I do get the feeling that we have been looked over for some of the issues. I understand that there is also a new Buds program that addressed the speed on the limp mode (but the '10s are not included Someone please correct me If I am wrong on this) so if it were to happen your speed wouldn't be cut so much so quick. We all know this is very dangerous. I have never had a Limp mode but I understand it can be very dangerous at highway speeds. This is a safety issue for sure. The owners event may provide the oppertunity to talk to some BRP folks about this.
    Last edited by StanProff; 06-13-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Happy Spyderlovers