Spyder Garage

Default For those with Toy Haulers... Question about amount of gas in the spyder

This will be the first trip with the spyder actually in the toy hauler versus just using the hauler as a camper.

Does it matter how much gas is in the spyder? I want to minimize fumes from the trailer bouncing around - Even though it rides pretty nice on the tandems.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

If you are concerened, just leave enough to where you can pull the out of the hauler and go to a filler station. Or carry an external fuel can and fill up the when ready to move.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default ToyHauler

You will find that toyhaulers have ventilation windows that you open to get the fumes out, they should be on opposite walls and one should be high and the other low, doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank, but remember gas has weight and that would require more gas in the toyhauler itself to get you there!

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

I always have a full tank when I leave home hauling my RT and have not seen any problem with gas dripping during the trip. If you normally get some drip when parked, you might consider a horizontal Filter in the Vent pipe (like below) to contain fuel drips until contraction pulls them back up the pipe. Either way, be sure to allow ventilation when loaded in the hauler.

Drip01.jpg best-WPpic.jpg P1000459.jpg

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The less gas in the Spyders tank the more it will create fumes, A empty tank, [just a few gals in it] will slop around the empty air space in the tank and will fill with fumes...

Spyder Garage

In over two years of hauling my Spyder in two different toy haulers, I have not noticed any fuel odors, regardless of fuel level.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post
    You will find that toyhaulers have ventilation windows that you open to get the fumes out, they should be on opposite walls and one should be high and the other low, doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank, but remember gas has weight and that would require more gas in the toyhauler itself to get you there!

Dave
    At 6.073 pounds per gallon the added 34 pounds shouldn't affect fuel mileage that much. If it was me I would not haul water in the toyhauler tanks. Water weighs just over 8 ppg. at 70F.
    Last edited by bruiser; 06-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

If we put spyder in right after a long ryde while still hot it does have some fumes. After those are gone no fumes noticed.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default For those with Toy Haulers... Question about amount of gas in the spyder

I just got back from a 3500 mile Texas trip with the Spyder in my toyhauler. I have hauled it almost empty, half full and completely full. No issues to report. I will get a fuel smell if I pull it into the "garage" when it is hot, but it quickly disappears when I turn on the roof vent. My trailer is about 18,000 pounds when loaded, so a few extra gallons of gas means about as much to me as a cloudy day.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Wow that's a big trailer, how long is it? What's the brand? How big is the garage part? Where can I get one?
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

I had asked some of the same questions earlier this year, and it sure is nice to get input from others - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uler-Questions
    I have traveled with the garage side wall vents slightly open and have had no issues. Amount of fuel did not make a difference, and I learned early on with the advice of others here not to fill the gas tank to the top. The vapor canister will thank you.
    It is sure nice to travel with your own home on wheels. Our first trip was Spyderfest this year, 1050 miles each way. Enjoy your hauler.
    Denny
    NHL Hockey - Still the greatest game on earth! Let's Go Flyers!
    2012 RT Limited, Lava Bronze / Tan "Scootie", Ultimate seat and other goodies.
    2016 Voltage 3970, Full Paint and all options
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, 6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10 Tow Monster
    The old rig, the ride and the RAM CTD at KOA, Spyderfest 2013 & 2014 (same camp site!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post

Dave
    The big problem I've heard with those vents is that they leave the inside of the camper filthy with dust from the road, etc... Is that true?
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

No problem with dust in mine. I guess if you are driving on a dusty road following an 18 wheeler it may be an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    At 6.073 pounds per gallon the added 34 pounds shouldn't affect fuel mileage that much. If it was me I would not haul water in the toyhauler tanks. Water weighs just over 8 ppg. at 70F.
    I haul some water. I make sure the grey water and black water tanks are empty, but I keep maybe 5 gallons in the fresh water tank because sometimes it is nice to use the toilet in the camper if you need to while on the go... Or if we break down and I need to clean up after a fix. Fresh water tank is near the front, so I don't fill it anyway due to the added tongue weight that would have. Trailer with full 30# LP tanks on the front weighed in at 1300 pounds at the hitch before the stabilizer bars were added.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We never had a problem with fumes in ours
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    The big problem I've heard with those vents is that they leave the inside of the camper filthy with dust from the road, etc... Is that true?
    No issue with that because the living space is completely separate from the garage in mine, sliding glass door between.
    I keep the vents slightly open to the rear during travel so it doesn't become "water injection" if it rains. May not be the best position for air movement, but it is something.
    NHL Hockey - Still the greatest game on earth! Let's Go Flyers!
    2012 RT Limited, Lava Bronze / Tan "Scootie", Ultimate seat and other goodies.
    2016 Voltage 3970, Full Paint and all options
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, 6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10 Tow Monster
    The old rig, the ride and the RAM CTD at KOA, Spyderfest 2013 & 2014 (same camp site!)

Spyder Garage

I received a few PM's asking about my toyhauler and the pics I posted. This rig started off as a 44 foot Pace American that was used to haul a dragster. When I got it, it was nothing but bare steel studs inside. It took four years to build in my driveway and two trips to the emergency room (one finger is now a little shorter thanks to the table saw). Where can you get one? Dunno. This is a total custom build. All the cabinets were milled from rough sawn lumber and built on site. Mine might be for sale in a year or so, so stay tuned!

Here are some of the numbers on my rig:
    44 feet long
    Garage is almost 19 feet
    30,000 BTU of A/C with heat pumps
    40,000 BTU forced air ducted furnace
    4000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger (can be off the grid up to a week)
    80 gallon fresh water capacity
    120 gallon waste water capacity
    14 gallon propane/electric hot water
    50 amp electric service
    60 pounds of propane storage
    800 watts of Pioneer home stereo with satellite radio
    HD Cable TV to two TV's
    All cabinets are solid oak and made on site
    All countertops are Corian
    10 jet full body shower with stereo speakers in shower
    Minimum 3.5 inches inches of insulation in all walls, floor and ceiling
    Queen Serta mattress
    3000# winch in garage to pull boat into garage (also used to secure Spyder)
    21 foot fully electric awning with wind sensors

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...