Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride-On and Wheel Balancing

Once Ride-On is added, can your wheels still be balanced? I'm thinking if so, it may not be accurate. Anyone have their wheels rebalanced after adding Ride-On?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Balancing w/Ride on

The front end of my new 2011 RT was always shaking, so I got Ride on. It helped most of the time, but at 50-55, still had a lot of vibrations. Next step, removed the weights on front tires. One had a handful, the other only a couple. Still wasn't right. I went to our tire guy in Canton and asked him to balance the wheels, ride on was already in them and not 100% effective. He did, everything was/is perfect for 6,000 miles when I bought a set of takeoffs from a new RSS, or something like that. Put ride on in them, mounted them on the Spyder and they are perfect with the weights and ride on. Like Lamont says, it seems to work either way, depending on the tires. I suspect the original ones were not balanced correctly and the huge difference in weights had the equation all screwed up.

Short answer- yes. They are in the garage, still mounted, waiting to go on the new wheels when the tires wear out in the future.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Wheels cannot be spin balanced (or bubble balanced) after Ride-On is installed. The spin balancing has to be done first.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Forget bubble balance..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ride-On and Wheel Balancing

Well, I'll have to tell Canton tire so they don't do it again. They spun the two fronts with the original weights removed, Ride On installed about one week and they are perfect.

That's as much as I know. I was standing there watching. We never got to rear tire, I think it was not comparable with the machine and didn't vibrate anyway.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    Well, I'll have to tell Canton tire so they don't do it again. They spun the two fronts with the original weights removed, Ride On installed about one week and they are perfect.

That's as much as I know. I was standing there watching. We never got to rear tire, I think it was not comparable with the machine and didn't vibrate anyway.

Tuck
    With Ride-ON in and the weights removed, they probably spun up as balanced and they called it good.... but spin balancing should be done before adding Ride-on if you do plan on spin balancing.

I rode a good 40,000 miles on various tires without wheel weights and just used Ride-on to balance them.

My new Potenza tires barely required any balancing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post

Tuck
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with spin balancing first, in most cases. The Ride-On just makes things better. You just can't spin balance accurately after you have added Ride-On.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Potenzas in your Spyder...?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With Ride-ON in and the weights removed, they probably spun up as balanced and they called it good.... but spin balancing should be done before adding Ride-on if you do plan on spin balancing.

I rode a good 40,000 miles on various tires without wheel weights and just used Ride-on to balance them.

My new Potenza tires barely required any balancing.
    If I understand correctly, you have installed Bridgestone Potenza replacement tires in your Spyder.
    If positive, could you please let me the know their specs, sizes, model, etc., etc.
    Where I live, it is much easier to find Bridgestone tires that Kumho, Kenda, etc.
    Thanks in advance...
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."