Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder-deer incident

Hopefully our first Spyder-deer encounter is our one and only!! We hit a deer on our Spyder Friday night. I was driving and hubby was the passenger. We were just going under an interstate overpass and I was looking to the right to look for anyone coming down the on ramp and was just looking to the left and he came up out of the median. No time to do anything but grab the handle bars and hit the brakes! Hit him straight on with the Spyder, it flipped it up and over us (we didn't know deer could fly!!) it must have slid right up and over. Just a few swipe marks on the turn signals and windshield. Really messed up the frunk cover but doesn't look like it broke anything else. I was going about 65 (speed limit is 75) it was about 9:30 pm, later than we like to be out at night on a bike, but had some delays getting back on the road. I think we fared way better than Lamont and Chris. We walked away and were able to drive it home! The insurance adjuster will be here this week to look at it. We are so thankful we were on the Spyder and not on 2-wheels!! The incident made a huge impression on us and reinforced why we chose the Spyder over another type of 3-wheeler and that is the safety part of it. I know we wouldn't have walked away from the same incident had we been on the Venture. We made the decision to go to a 3-wheel type motorcycle after Dick's accident in the Big Horns last summer. (He had road rash, stitches and a story!) Hubby says now I have my own story! An incident like this is proof to the engineering, handling and safety of the Spyder. The question part of this thread- Has anyone else hit a deer? How was the Spyder for handling after the accident? is there anything we should look for? We requested our dealer for doing the repairs etc. on the Spyder. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chris and Lamont, we know too well after last summer what they are going through!!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Know of at least two other Spyder versus deer reports here and one second hand
    (i think) Spyder versus bear.

Certainly glad it turned out the way it did for you guys. Same as others that have been reported here. Everyone has walked away unscathed.

Great news for sure. Hope the repairs are fairly easy and go well.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Glad you all are OK. I chose the Spyder for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

Spyder Garage

Glad all is well with you guys, hope the Spyder is easily repairable. Three wheels are nice in that instance aren't they!
    Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you guys are OK! I hit one with my Town and Country Mini van last Thanks Giving and it had to be towed. $10,000 damage

I was leading a group of 14 Spyders last weekend, June 1st, and had one come out of the ditch. I was able to slow down the group before it dashed across in front of me.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok.Thats the main thing.I hit a deer 3 years ago riding my Goldwing in Colorado.I somehow managed to hold the bike straight and upright coming to a complete stop unhurt.One of the main reasons which led me to the Spyder.Repairs were $7200 and I rode the Wing 40,000 more miles before trading it for the Spyder a year ago.
    I purchased The Hornet deer whistle which connects to the batteries and emits a wine.It does work as on at least 3 occasions deer have come out and done a uturn.I transferred it to the Spyder and have it working when I need it.
    ivor

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that all turned out well. You just never know when a wildlife encounter will happen. We had to dodge a couple moose two days ago.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder-deer incident

Glad you are OK.

The deer are so bad here that they have instituted hunts within city limits. There are even reality tv shows about the deer population in CT.

Overpopulation isn't healthy for the deer either.

Maybe if they would issue more tags or extend deer season, it would be healthier for us and the deer!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since you hit the critter,"straight on", i take that to mean that your Spyder's nose probably got under it's belly, and launched the deer...
    That attenuated the impact; it got turned into a "bump and slide", as opposed to one big BANG!
    Glad that you survived it relatviely unscathed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad to hear that all turned out well. You just never know when a wildlife encounter will happen. We had to dodge a couple moose two days ago.
    Doubt the results would be as positive if you hit a moose!!!

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

glad y'all are OK....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    A riding buddy in my group hit a duck, and the only damage was to replace the windshield. Now we call him "duckman"
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    A riding buddy in my group hit a duck, and the only damage was to replace the windshield. Now we call him "duckman"
    Quacked windshield?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good report

So glad you're okay.

Thank you for the report.
    Hubby and I have discussed this many times, as to what to do (if there's a choice) in such an incident (Spyder vs deer)
    and have decided that what you did was the best way to go (again, if there's a choice).

I wouldn't be riding if it weren't for my Spyder!

Again, so glad you came out on top!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK...and glad you were riding a Spyder!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It is great to hear that you rode away unhurt. Hope your spyder gets a speedy and complete repair.

On another note, I have dodged a porcupine and a several deer, but I did hit a bird the other day. I have no idea what kind it was as I was cruising right along and only saw the flash of feathers as the bird hit the sharp ridge right below the headlight and seemed to explode in front of me. It kind of reminded me of the time that gull was hit by the fastball he flew into the path of.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Now we call him "duckman"
    Now; Is it "duckman", or "DUCK; man!":
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow so glad you guys are ok!!! That's an experience I hope I never have!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    Quacked windshield?
    I know it's a serious subject...... but THAT's FUNNY!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyFyg-2 View Post
    Hopefully our first Spyder-deer encounter is our one and only!! We hit a deer on our Spyder Friday night. I was driving and hubby was the passenger. We were just going under an interstate overpass and I was looking to the right to look for anyone coming down the on ramp and was just looking to the left and he came up out of the median. No time to do anything but grab the handle bars and hit the brakes! Hit him straight on with the Spyder, it flipped it up and over us (we didn't know deer could fly!!) it must have slid right up and over. Just a few swipe marks on the turn signals and windshield. Really messed up the frunk cover but doesn't look like it broke anything else. I was going about 65 (speed limit is 75) it was about 9:30 pm, later than we like to be out at night on a bike, but had some delays getting back on the road. I think we fared way better than Lamont and Chris. We walked away and were able to drive it home! The insurance adjuster will be here this week to look at it. We are so thankful we were on the Spyder and not on 2-wheels!! The incident made a huge impression on us and reinforced why we chose the Spyder over another type of 3-wheeler and that is the safety part of it. I know we wouldn't have walked away from the same incident had we been on the Venture. We made the decision to go to a 3-wheel type motorcycle after Dick's accident in the Big Horns last summer. (He had road rash, stitches and a story!) Hubby says now I have my own story! An incident like this is proof to the engineering, handling and safety of the Spyder. The question part of this thread- Has anyone else hit a deer? How was the Spyder for handling after the accident? is there anything we should look for? We requested our dealer for doing the repairs etc. on the Spyder. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chris and Lamont, we know too well after last summer what they are going through!!
    Glad y'all are OK!!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are fine...by the way, did you have the Bumpskid installed and if so, did it do anything to assist in controlling the amount of damage? Just curious....

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Whistles..!!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter but really glad you are both fine. While working bike shop in Houston and later LA we sold a lot of deer whistles. Don't know how well they work but many swore by them. Seeing more and more reports like this and have to say you all would fare much better if you get your deer with a rife.. Be safe out there as soon as your on the road again..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default You did the right thing

Professional drivers of the big rigs are taught to only brake and not try to miss a deer. You did it right. Great job on your driving ability. I met a young lady on the side of the road next to her rolled over 18 wheeler that was in tears. She had forgotten her training and jerked the wheel to avoid a dog in the road. She still killed the dog and most likely lost her job. It is well known by professional drivers that deer whistles do not work, but if it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it. I taught professional driving for 15 years.
    Last edited by Captain Fin; 06-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

Certainly glad it turned out the way it did for you guys. Same as others that have been reported here. Everyone has walked away unscathed.

Great news for sure. Hope the repairs are fairly easy and go well.
    I know a retired couple who hit a black bear while riding their spyder . Wrote the spyder off but lived to ride another day.