Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I always wear a full face helmet, gloves, jeans and boots. I'd think about wearing armored jeans if ANYONE made some that would fit me. But no one does.

When it comes to really hot weather (over 90) there's no way I'm going to try and ride with a full jacket, even if it's armored mesh. It simply doesn't work for me. It's taking a calculated risk, but there it is.

However, I NEVER ride without my helmet, gloves, jeans and boots.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I agree with the OP that an accident can happen in an instant. 3 yrs ago this month, a deer broad sided me hard, doing approx 65mph. Never even seen him. If I hadn't been on the Spyder, I don't even want to think of what could of happened.
    Last night, going to the local bike meet, I rounded a corner, and seen the flashing lights ahead. As I passed by, they were pulling the driver of a two wheeler out of the ditch. A mile down the road, the ambulance was headed toward the accident.
    I can't say that I wear ATGATT, but what I'm saying is.....all it takes is an instant for an accident to happen.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default good post

Helmet law here is mandatory, regardless I wear a better than average full face. I never ride without at minimum a mesh jacket and gloves. I have armour pants, but I always wear jeans, and that is my own laziness. I am too lazy to remove the wind and water proof panels from the pants, so I only wear them when it rains. I should take the panels out and start wearing the mesh on longer trips. I am waiting for my icon reflective vest to come in stock for night driving. All my gear is black except for white helmet. Any body have any suggestion for a comfortable shoe. I wear skater shoes....lol...so comfortable...but I know I am pooched in those shoes if I wipe out. Thanks for the post, makes a guy thing.

Spyder Garage

I typically wear full face helmet (Always), Gloves (90% of the time or more), Boots (Always), and leather jacket (90%+). Depending on distance and speed, I'll usually wear leather pants as well (Can-Am vented with mesh inside). I'm not ATGATT, but I'm pretty close. I dress for the crash as much as able, but I just -can't- wear leather pants when in town. Way too hot for slow riding.
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Spyder Garage

Daveinva, Well put and inspiring! I've told my story before, so I won't go into a lot of detail. I had a Honda VFR Interceptor a few years back which I was riding when suddenly, this gentleman driving a car drove out in front of me at an intersection. He claimed that he never saw me. The intersection was real busy at that time. I had no choice but to lock up my brakes and hope for the best. I ended up crashing into the front of the car. My bike went down and I went head over heels and skidded right in front of the car. All I remember was closing my eyes at that moment, because I thought I was gone for good. However, I did stand, but was shaken a bit after all that and was lucky to be alive. I had some bruises, a badly sprained thumb, but no road rash. That day was hot and humid out. I almost didn't wear my protective leather pants with armor that day. I thought about it and decided to wear all the gear, jacket, pants, gloves and full face helmet. The gear saved me that day from worse injuries and possibly my guardian angel was with me, directing me to make the right choice, God only knows. A friend had to drive me home that day. I went to my young children at the time and gave them both a hug and told them my story. My daughter broke down in tears and said daddy you could of died. I said to her I'm fine and all is ok and I love you both. I can go on and on, but what would my children have done if the outcome of that accident was worse. It sure is something that I always think about. Many manufactures make good quality gear for those hot days and for colder days as well. My choice is ATGATT. Folks have fun and ride safe. You have one life to live so please make the best of it.
    Last edited by vtrider; 06-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is the perfect time to talk about wearing gear. I wear a full face helmet, gloves, leather or textile jacket with armor, Jeans with Kevlar and sturdy boots. I had a wreck 20 some years ago with just a t shirt on and my arm hurt for quite a while. The girl on the back landed on her knees and slid(ouch). Thankfully I was only going about 25mph when I slid the front end and went down in a curve. Be safe out there!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    But I agree with all you people that believe you need all the armor to survive. I just believe that my way is good also. I have never owned a leather jacket nor chaps nor any armor clothing. (But am glad you do.) Have only been riding since 1945 so don't know much of the new standards. Have been in 3 major mishaps, hit broad side, laid it down racing a car, and hit a deer. So I do know about road rash and stuff. But I still only wear a open face helmet and ankle high boots. I believe that if your going to buy it,no amount of armor is going to save you. But then again I be only 80 and been riding for 68 years so what do I know?? And no I have nothing against you suiting up at all. I'm just more comfortable and enjoy the freedom of a non armored ride.
    One problem with a fatalistic outlook like yours is you don't think you are ever going to end up in a paraplegic condition where other people have to do things for you that you currently do for yourself. My impression is that at a personal level you believe you are indestructible. As for bragging about having been in 3 major mishaps and survived, well your pathetic disregard of the dangers of using the highway might influence a younger person into believing some of what you say makes sense, which means you really should think hard before you sound off on an open forum. You won't be surprised if I tell you that your 80 years have not taught you one ounce of common sense. By the way, you are only 4 years older than me so your old age counts for nothing, not a damn thing.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    One problem with a fatalistic outlook like yours is you don't think you are ever going to end up in a paraplegic condition where other people have to do things for you that you currently do for yourself. My impression is that at a personal level you believe you are indestructible. As for bragging about having been in 3 major mishaps and survived, well your pathetic disregard of the dangers of using the highway might influence a younger person into believing some of what you say makes sense, which means you really should think hard before you sound off on an open forum. You won't be surprised if I tell you that your 80 years have not taught you one ounce of common sense. By the way, you are only 4 years older than me so your old age counts for nothing, not a damn thing.
    Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I dont see BRAGGING in the post about 3 accidents. I see him making a statement. Chill out. Its posts like yours that keep some people from stating thier real thoughts and beliefs. "Pathetic disregards of the dangers of using the highways"? Maybe you should stay in your driveway if you feel like this. Maybe he doesnt have " one ounce of common sense, but he has more RESPECT than you have shown by your post. Its AMERICA, land of choice and he has made his.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I dont see BRAGGING in the post about 3 accidents. I see him making a statement. Chill out. Its posts like yours that keep some people from stating thier real thoughts and beliefs. "Pathetic disregards of the dangers of using the highways"? Maybe you should stay in your driveway if you feel like this. Maybe he doesnt have " one ounce of common sense, but he has more RESPECT than you have shown by your post. Its AMERICA, land of choice and he has made his.
    Dave01,

I couldn't agree with you more. But, GeoffCee is also entitled to his opinion as are you. GeoffCee may have been able to get his point across without being so brash (as you may think he is); that's not his style.

The one point that GeoffCee makes that I feel is a good one (and my opinion only) is that less experienced riders may be influenced into using less gear by MrBones years of experience statement. You may think just the opposite, which is fine. Everyone has an opinion and I think it's great when we are not all in lock step. Once again, my opinion only.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Dave01,

I couldn't agree with you more. But, GeoffCee is also entitled to his opinion as are you. GeoffCee may have been able to get his point across without being so brash (as you may think he is); that's not his style.

The one point that GeoffCee makes that I feel is a good one (and my opinion only) is that less experienced riders may be influenced into using less gear by MrBones years of experience statement. You may think just the opposite, which is fine. Everyone has an opinion and I think it's great when we are not all in lock step. Once again, my opinion only.
    Good points, as always.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All ways dress to be safe

Spyder Garage

Default Dave

Like it!!!

A lot

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Like it!!!

A lot
    I have to thank Bob D for the idea.

Spyder Garage

Default The Value of Wearing Good Gear

I've heard it summed up as "dress for the slide, not for the ride" and, "when, not if you will come off".

I was also advised to ride assuming that every other vehicle -- ie cages -- is out there trying to kill you, but that they miss sometimes because they're distracted by talking on a cell phone.

This is not to make light of a very serious topic -- just another way of looking at it, in all seriousness.

I'm also for freedom of choice and it's ATGATT for me.

Be safe,
    Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Default I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I personally don't think that right now is the appropriate time to be addressing this subject even though there may be a good lesson.

Chris
    There is an appropriate time for all. This is not one of those times.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Chris and Captain Fin. (Not that what I think matters)

I agree with you guys on so many levels. But, then I think this. What a *powerful* time to broach the subject. When people will REALLY think about it. Not unlike the wounds Lamont and his wife suffer. There will be a healing here too. Meaning as time passes the impact to the psychic diminishes. tol
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ride safe and wear the gear that you think appropriate were all adults here and for the most part have ridden long enough to do what we feel is right on this subject.
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Let them go at it

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Dave01,

I can see the humour in two seniors battling it out who both make some valid points.

I am 44 and my experience has been that less experienced riders have that indestructible attitude. Us riders that have been around for a while realize our own mortality.

My 17 year old who has written off 2 cars expressed he wanted to ride. I laughed at him and told him he is not ready. Told him you don't get to write off a bike, you just die. Trying to scare him and keep him off a street bike until he is older. Some of the things I did on a bike when I was his age, I am lucky to be here.

I look at it this way. When I was young I would get up a tall ladder and think nothing of it. No p.p.e. Now when I get up a tall ladder with all the gear I think, man if I fall from here its going to hurt.

My theory is, it all depends where you are in your life, what your past experiences have been, what they safety culture is where you live, and the risk you feel comfortable with.

Well it's raining outside and I love to ride in the rain. Have a great day people.

Spyder Garage

Default Good gear

When I first started riding 40 some years ago the guy that got me started said you never know when you are going down until its to late that was just after his first accident. He always insisted on all the gear and although I chaffed at the restrictions I was borrowing one of his rides so I had to. Today I sound like him to any that will listen I think it is silly not to be ready for the wreck.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    All this has motivated me. Just ordered summer mesh jackets for wife and I.
    You won't regret them!! Hubby and I bought ours a couple of years ago!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I personally don't think that right now is the appropriate time to be addressing this subject even though there may be a good lesson.

Chris
    I would have to agree.............
    2011 RTS SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    I would have to agree.............
    I have never met Lamont, so maybe I am out of line, but to look at terrible event in a positive light, he has inspired some people to evaluate their riding gear. That doesn't seem like a bad thing. If it can happen to a very experienced rider, it can happen to all of us. I am glad they are going to be okay. The timing may seem like a bad thing, but on a positive note it goes to show you how well regarded Lamont is, and rightfully so.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Even the heaviest jacket or the thickest denim jeans, are not abrasion resistant. Most synthetic garments will actually melt under abrasion, and that melted plastic is a bear to remove from wounds. Only leather or abrasion resistant textiles will save your hide. Armor makes them even better, and may save some broken bones and bruises...as well as providing additional abrasion resistance. If you are gonna wear the gear, make sure it's the right gear!
    Agreed but when it does not exist in the retail market you improvise. Living in The Daytona Beach area you would be amazed at the non-protective gear we see on all groups of riders. Especially the 16/25 crotch rocket set and the 21/65 TTT (tavern to tavern) group. Been studying them since1955 except for TDY breaks while in the employ of the USA.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clothing versus riding

Today I actually surprised myself. I was in the mood for a long ride. The weather was 94 degrees humidity felt like a 100%. Sunny w/o a cloud in the sky. No sea breeze blowing.
    .I put everything off and said, no it is to hot at high noon. I was standing in the garage with a fan running full tilt. Soaking a cotton tee shirt and cotton/poly gym shorts and sneakers.

First time I have ever done that since 1955. Scarey thought, I am getting some good sense!

Guess what it cooled off about 6 PM clouded up, started to rain and the Spyder did not get ridden at all

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Boy you read allot into a personal opinion. You have completely misunderstood my post. I do not have a fatalistic outlook nor consider myself indestructible, quite the opposite, I had many healing days to ponder it. And I assure you I was not bragging at all. Do you really think 3 mishaps is something anyone would brag about? I was simply stating my preference of clothing. As for common sense do you think you used it in your post? My age counts for allot to me and me alone. And an open forum is just that an idea expressed for people to think about. I doubt if anyone will be influenced by what I believe is best for me. So you have a great time and try to cheer up a bit.