Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The Value of Wearing Good Gear

Given recent events, I didn't want to be "that guy" in other threads.

But, there still is a place for what I'm about to write, so I might as well go first:

No matter what you ride-- be it a two wheel motorcycle, a three wheel Spyder, a four wheel ATV, or a no-wheel sled-- there is value in wearing protective gear.

You never know what will happen, you never know when you will "depart" your vehicle and take a spill-- or worse. Even the best riders suffer bad luck (and I'll be the first to humbly acknowledge, I ain't always the best rider! )

Helmets, gloves, jackets, pants and boots with good impact and abrasion resistance can help keep you nice and together in the event of an accident. You may still be hurt, but you likely won't be hurt as bad as you otherwise would be. Avoiding broken bones and road rash and head injuries so you can survive, thrive, and get back on the road again ASAP... these are all good things, no?

Now, I won't say I'm 100% ATGATT. Oh, I always wear my helmet, jacket and gloves. But sometimes I've left the armored pants at home, and not every pair of riding boots I wear are equally protective. But I *know* when I'm being lazy, which at least guilts me into not doing it as often.

I haven't told the story here at Spyderlovers before, but last October my beloved GF took a spill on her Vespa. Solo accident on a rural road, totalled the poor scoot. I was ahead of her on my Spyder, didn't see her fall down as I had already made the turn.

Those few minutes of not knowing what happened, then *knowing* what happened, then doubling back to find her lying in the road in horrible pain... yeah, those were some of the worst moments of my life.

Thankfully, she had her helmet on, an armored jacket, gloves and boots. She just had jeans on, however, no abrasion resistance, no armor, and her legs were banged up far more than they should have been. Even with her helmet on, the GF still suffered a concussion that required her to be ambulanced to the hospital for an overnight stay and observation.

Because of that concussion, she doesn't remember what happened. Best bet was she hit a bump, grabbed too much brake with the wheel turned, went down. Wasn't going more than 20 mph, but fast enough to hurt herself and total a $6000 scooter.

Bottom line: the gear saved her from something far worse. The gear saved ME-- and her parents, and her friends-- from something far worse!

All those days when she didn't want to wear the gear, when it was too hot, or too nice a day, or hey, it's only a scooter (or only a Spyder, or a bike ridden for decades, or a road traveled a thousand times before... sound familiar?), thankfully she ignored that voice in her head that day.

She's thankful she wore the gear. More selfishly, *I* am thankful she wore the gear. Sometimes it's that important-- maybe not for you, we are all free to make your own choices, and thank America for that. But it's often our loved ones who often have to live with our choices, who have to see us lying in pain in the road, or crying in a hospital bed, or something far worse than that.

So, to everyone: you are free to make your own decisions what gear you wear. But please, make informed decisions. Be aware how life can change in an instant, and how we can't always avoid the worst. We can, however, make choices to stack the odds in our favor, whether that's more rider training, lots of practice (and re-practice), minimizing distractions while riding, stopping for a break when you're tired or thirsty or drenched by rain or just plain unfocused, and yes, wearing gear to help protect ourselves and our loved ones when we or others make mistakes.

Be safe everyone... there's a lot of riding for us all to do!
    Last edited by daveinva; 06-07-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

^^^^This^^^^
    Well written and spot on. Thanks for the reminder to dress for the spill, not for the thrill...

Spyder Garage

All this has motivated me. Just ordered summer mesh jackets for wife and I.

Spyder Garage

My wife & I were having this conversation a week ago when I came home from a 6hr ride on my own & was very, very hot. Mentionned to her that as I was now on 3 wheels there was less likelyhood of my falling off etc & maybe I could not wear all the protective clothing all the time

I always wear it all, all the time.

We discussed it & decided I should still wear it all.

Then I read flamingobabe's link to riding in the heat & that you may think you will be cooler with less on, that is not necessarily the case.

Please wear all of your gear all of the time.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 06-07-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Agree totally. ATGATT - (well, maybe not the overpants, but always the boots jacket and helmet.)
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Default Well said..!!

Sadly (myself included) we all find ourselves taking that risk because it will be a short ride and dressing up is a bother and time consuming. I would never do the tee, toe sandal and shorts but many times skip the heavy jacket and boots. Have had accidents and will always wear gloves helmet long pants and closed shoe. So I just have to go that extra step...thanks for the post...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default My angle has always kept me safe on motorcycles,

not so much back in my bicycle racing days. Where clothing and head protection was skimpy at best. Perhaps he was trying to teach me how bad it can be......even if, you're going slow(comparatively). Road rash ain't no fun. Neither are hours in an operating room getting pieced back together. Followed by years of rehab.. I know how fun it's not and hope none of you ever learn it first hand.

'Angel'
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-07-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The Value of Wearing Good Gear

Was thinking of this last Sunday: my Duluth thick pants do not have any real protection... Started my Commando and rode it for the 1st time since I completely rebuild her after a nasty accident 4 years ago (reason why I have a Spyder!). Rear brake too touchy, frt brake hard to grasp: in one slow turn at 20mph I hit some sand, some rear brake and I am on the ground; knee hurts but I still rode home! Tuesday Xrays show a little piece of the top of the tibia broken... Brace, crutches and no riding for at least 6 weeks... Looking for kneepads to install in my Duluth !!!

Spyder Garage

Default Proper wear...

It's stories like Lamont's that remind us of "the nature of the beast", and bring us back to our senses. Always better safe (even though warm), than sorry.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Protective riding gear may be uncomfortable to wear on those hot days and short trips...
    But healing is always a heckuva lot worse!
    As I've gotten older and maybe a bit "less dumber"; I find that I'm making less excuses to not use it, and more excuses to use it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I totally agree....When I had my accident 5 years ago where I when up the rear end of a SUV at 60 miles an hour I got hurt real bad....15 operations later I'm still recovering...Had it not been for the safety gear I ride with..Regardless of weather...My days would be over....No hard choice on my part now...Thank God Lamont & Chris are gonna be ok...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very good written post. AtGATT also protect you from dehydrating or having sun poison like one lady from GOS.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

In these animal crashs, a fraction of a second can make all the difference. I/we were on a PGR Mission a couple years ago, lots of bikes running togeather, followed by a couple cages (vehicles). I was toward the back. A pick up was follwing the bikes and with us. When we stoped, the truck was not there. It got there a hour or so later, minus the grill,part of a fender and the hood messed up He had hit two deer.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Protective riding gear may be uncomfortable to wear on those hot days and short trips...
    But healing is always a heckuva lot worse!
    As I've gotten older and maybe a bit "less dumber"; I find that I'm making less excuses to not use it, and more excuses to use it!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    All this has motivated me. Just ordered summer mesh jackets for wife and I.
    Make sure it has CE rated armor (including back protector).

I've resisted mesh type riding gear for years - firm believer in sliding down the road in *other* people's skin (i.e. leather). But finally decided to try mesh (at least for upper - still insist on leather lowers perforated for summer heat) earlier this year simply because the summer riding season here in GA is so long and hot. Hope I don't regret the decision.
    --------------------
    '12 1199 Panigale
    '99 Triumph ST
    Chief mechanic for wife's '13 Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

When I went shopping for gear, it was before I went to take the motorcycle course last fall. I figured on buying the variant helmet, some cheap gloves, and a Walmart rain suit. I visited a couple of dealerships near where I lived, and an accessories salesperson at the Honda dealership pointed out a couple of tourmaster's jackets and and gloves, but what really sold me was when he shown me a set of his old gear that got scraped up in a deer collision. By scraped up I mean the armor was completely obliterated in most areas... Imagine what the rider's skin would have looked like without that armor!!!

It makes me cringe when I see guys riding those "crotch rocket" bikes at high speed with just shorts, t shirt and flip-flops.... Looking "too cool for gear" is one thing.... It's another thing altogether when you are riding at a pace that can turn you into hamburger.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

I can personally attest to wearing all the gear. About 8 weeks ago I had an encounter with a full size van (lady pulled out right in front of me). 55 mph zone and I only had time to slow to about 20 to 25 before we met. I was wearing a full face helmet, good gloves, armored jeans, boots and a leather jacket. Long story short, my harley was totaled but I came through without a scratch. Must have a very active guardian angel. If I hadn't been wearing all the gear or if I had been wearing a pudding bowl type helmet and a sleeveless t-shirt, I would probably still be layed up right now. That was my first incident in 18 years of riding but it is one reason that I bought the 2013 yellow RT-S. I want to be seen and if they can't see that yellow then they are too blind to drive. The tech on these Spyders can save your life but it never hurts to give it a little help since you never know when something is going to happen. I guess that is why they are called accidents and not on purposes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good friend had a stroke while riding his crotch-rocket bike home on a rural county road last year. He landed into a bar ditch with deep grass and didn't wake up until the next morning. Everyone, including the sheriff's department, had been out looking for him all night. He had been wearing his usual - full-face helmet, armored jacket, shorts (actually those long shorts like baggy knee pants) and tennis shoes.

His legs were OK, no breaks, but lots of bug-bites. The helmet saved his noggin' but his face got bruised up. His right wrist was broken really bad and required surgery. They figured out why he had the stroke, started him on anti-coagulants, and he's made a full recovery.

We're all just glad he wore his helmet and jacket!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clothing

Some times a good jacket, heavy jeans and boots will do you in too. One night in Jacksonville FL I have a JUST ME throw down. The wing bent the OEM guards about a inch. But the sudden stop on my right shoulder through a winter jacket and a heavy sweat shirt earned a huge raspberry on the tops of both shoulders, a cracked helmet and sanded glove palms. My Levi's abraded my left hip an embedded material in that spot just showing a scuffed spot on the outside.

i went back to my quarters, showered and scrubbed out as much as I could reach. The following day was a Friday so I got to go home for the weekend. When I got home we planned out our Saturday then cleaned up to go out to BBQ with friends that was when my wife got a view of the damaged tissue and I got the tweezers and scrub brush cleaning procedure done again to me. Appeared I missed a lot of embedded abraded denim off of the side seam of the Levi's.

I can imagine how Lamont and Chris are feeling just about now and I know in my mind its got to hurt a bunch as that F6B is a mess

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Some times a good jacket, heavy jeans and boots will do you in too. One night in Jacksonville FL I have a JUST ME throw down. The wing bent the OEM guards about a inch. But the sudden stop on my right shoulder through a winter jacket and a heavy sweat shirt earned a huge raspberry on the tops of both shoulders, a cracked helmet and sanded glove palms. My Levi's abraded my left hip an embedded material in that spot just showing a scuffed spot on the outside.

i went back to my quarters, showered and scrubbed out as much as I could reach. The following day was a Friday so I got to go home for the weekend. When I got home we planned out our Saturday then cleaned up to go out to BBQ with friends that was when my wife got a view of the damaged tissue and I got the tweezers and scrub brush cleaning procedure done again to me. Appeared I missed a lot of embedded abraded denim off of the side seam of the Levi's.

I can imagine how Lamont and Chris are feeling just about now and I know in my mind its got to hurt a bunch as that F6B is a mess
    Even the heaviest jacket or the thickest denim jeans, are not abrasion resistant. Most synthetic garments will actually melt under abrasion, and that melted plastic is a bear to remove from wounds. Only leather or abrasion resistant textiles will save your hide. Armor makes them even better, and may save some broken bones and bruises...as well as providing additional abrasion resistance. If you are gonna wear the gear, make sure it's the right gear!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

MI ditched their long standing helmet law last year. Which I totally back as a libertarian (detest seat belt laws too). I always wear/use both unfailingly though. Got hit directly in the face twice last year, once by a Robin sized bird, crossing my path from L to R (I was doing 60-65 MPH), and I got pegged in my L eye brow with a stone thrown from a tire. ICON makes darn good shields, as mine kept the kamikaze bird from putting out my R eye, and I've got a small divot in the top edge of the shield from the thrown stone. I always wear some kind of boot, and gloves; though I'm guilty of wearing very light motocross gloves during really hot (above 80F) weather. Bought a really nice Joe Rocket sport jacket last year with a second zipper surrounded by mesh inside the main one, and zipper vents on the back of the jacket. It flows air real well, and has back, shoulder, and elbow/forearm armor, and I've been making a much larger effort to "wear the darn thing" as it does no good in the closet. MI has had a large jump in motorcycle injuries since the helmet repeal (go figure); I see goofs riding around in flip flops, shorts, sleeveless Ts, and do rags all the time. Like the Quakers say........"Better them than me" LOL! One other thing; I always get a kick out of safety advocates (especially the bomb demolition suit wearing ones) who warn about snoozing/distracted cage drivers, and seem to unfailing wear dark colors that blend in well with the road. Really??!!
    Last edited by Flanker; 06-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I try to wear the gear as much as I can, but I admit, sometimes I am a bit lax. People get on my case sometimes for wearing my armored jacket during hot summer days. But, I always ask them, if they had a major crash, and didn't have the gear on, would they regret it? Why wait till something happens before you start having some sense???
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    MI ditched their long standing helmet law last year. Which I totally back as a libertarian (detest seat belt laws too). I always wear/use both unfailingly though. Got hit directly in the face twice last year, once by a Robin sized bird, crossing my path from L to R (I was doing 60-65 MPH), and I got pegged in my L eye brow with a stone thrown from a tire. ICON makes darn good shields, as mine kept the kamikaze bird from putting out my R eye, and I've got a small divot in the top edge of the shield from the thrown stone. I always wear some kind of boot, and gloves; though I'm guilty of wearing very light motocross gloves during really hot (above 80F) weather. Bought a really nice Joe Rocket sport jacket last year with a second zipper surrounded by mesh inside the main one, and zipper vents on the back of the jacket. It flows air real well, and has back, shoulder, and elbow/forearm armor, and I've been making a much larger effort to "wear the darn thing" as it does no good in the closet. MI has had a large jump in motorcycle injuries since the helmet repeal (go figure); I see goofs riding around in flip flops, shorts, sleeveless Ts, and do rags all the time. Like the Quakers say........"Better them than me" LOL! One other thing; I always get a kick out of safety advocates (especially the bomb demolition suit wearing ones) who warn about snoozing/distracted cage drivers, and seem to unfailing wear dark colors that blend in well with the road. Really??!!
    Was it an "angry bird?"
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I personally don't think that right now is the appropriate time to be addressing this subject even though there may be a good lesson.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default My opinion will not be liked

But I agree with all you people that believe you need all the armor to survive. I just believe that my way is good also. I have never owned a leather jacket nor chaps nor any armor clothing. (But am glad you do.) Have only been riding since 1945 so don't know much of the new standards. Have been in 3 major mishaps, hit broad side, laid it down racing a car, and hit a deer. So I do know about road rash and stuff. But I still only wear a open face helmet and ankle high boots. I believe that if your going to buy it,no amount of armor is going to save you. But then again I be only 80 and been riding for 68 years so what do I know?? And no I have nothing against you suiting up at all. I'm just more comfortable and enjoy the freedom of a non armored ride.