I ride a 2009 SE5, with Hindle exhaust, KewlMetal intake, and some other mods. Went to a motorbike event this past week-end, some 350 Km. away from home. During the nights, my Spyder was parked uncovered in the hotel parking-lot, next to the main building.

One night a huge downpour that lasted several hours hit the city. The weather was so severe that the big rain drops triggered the vibration sensors in my Scorpio SR-i800 alarm. Worried about draining the battery, I switched the alarm off.

The next morning the Spyder could not be started, and the battery was dead very soon afterwards. No amount of time on a "Battery Tender" could revive it. Loaded the Spyder on a truck and carried it back home.

My trusted mechanic (a biker also) removed the dead battery, and put it on a slow charger. In the meantime he checked the SE5 electrics and determined that everything was OK.

Removed the spark-plugs and sure enough there was a spark on each..., but they were wet...

When he started cranking the motor (w/o spark-plugs) with another battery, the engine started spitting water out of the cylinders thru the plugs' holes...

He continued with the cranking until it stopped spitting water, then he checked the oil and it was not contaminated.

He re-installed the spark plugs and soon afterwards the Spyder was in working order. Once the battery was re-charged I test rode the SE5 around town without noticing anything out of the ordinary. Still riding it today, and nothing bad to report...

It seems that the rain-water seeped around the "Y" shaped Tupperware edges / joints, down to the cover of the KewlMetal intake, soaking and drenching the foam filter, and finally trickling inside and down to the throttle body and into the cylinders.

Anybody had this same near death experience...?