Spyder Garage

Default Broke off body part

I hope someone can help with this one. Bought this after market vent cover and must of put it on wrong. A day later noticed than this pieced circled in red broke off. I managed to order touch up paint for my 2011 orbital blue RT but is this small piece available?? It seems to be a break at a glue line. To replace the whole side would be expensive as I have a vinyl graphic wrap it place. Anyone have any ideas of how to obtain this small piece?

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I can't see what is broke. Have you got a closeup photo?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure that side panel is only one piece.
    You might try some plastic weld, which you can then sand smooth then have repainted to match.

Spyder Garage

Default Broke part

I will post pic of the broke of part unfortunatly it fell of on the move and is lost. It is just the narrow finger like portion under the grill.

Thanks for the replies
    Mike

Spyder Garage

OK, I think I figured things out. In a "nut shell" you screwed up. If I'm correct, the vent cover you installed is made by ESI Cycle Products, one of the site sponsors. It is a right side vent cover and you installed (force fit) it on the left side. As of the last time I spoke with them they do not make a left side cover. The shape of that vent forced into that location will rub and cut through the tupperware at the thinest point. What I can't figure out is why the small piece fell off, as there should have been a screw on the front edge holding it in place.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it is one piece. What you saw as a glue line was most likely a casting line from when it was molded. If you are handy and want to save some bucks and have the time. You could build up the area with fiberglass Matt and epoxy resin. Sand it smooth prime it and have it painted to match. Or you could buy a new piece.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

you could repair it with the fiberglass, plastic mend and mesh. Some body shops do this kind of repair as well. Don't know how much is involved $$$ new verses repairing. I do most of my own work but because it's a challenge even if I could get it new for pennies more...!! good luck
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Broke Part

It looks like you are all correct it is one piece, checked BRP web site and the parts blow up and it looks like one piece. I have emailed BRP to double check but other than finding a wrecked RT it looks like I will have to form my own. Whould you use epoxy resin for this? Again thanks all for your replies and ideas.

Thanks
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would check in the Yellow pages to see if any body shops advertise the ability to work plastic. They could perhaps help you with your problem. If not be careful to try small areas on the back side with the solvents and epoxy so to determine if it damages the plastic material.

Spyder Garage

Default Pics of the broke part on my RT

Finally got my camera back from my daughter, here are a couple of pics of my RTS and the broken part (it fell off and is lost). I would buy the complete side as they are sold painted. But I don't believe that vinyl wraps can be removed and replaced. As you can imagine it would cost a pretty penny to buy another wrap. Has anyone tried to remove and replace vinyl wraps??

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If I'm correct, the vent cover you installed is made by ESI Cycle Products, one of the site sponsors. It is a right side vent cover and you installed (force fit) it on the left side. As of the last time I spoke with them they do not make a left side cover. The shape of that vent forced into that location will rub and cut through the tupperware at the thinest point. What I can't figure out is why the small piece fell off, as there should have been a screw on the front edge holding it in place.

Although I stick with my previous assessment, I'm confused. Do you have two RTs? The initial picture is a white one and the later photos are blue.

My Mods -

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think it would be hard to remove the vinyl wrap without either tearing it or stretching it. Then you have the issue of getting adhesive on the wrap and reinstalling. I would contact Pete from the Spyderwraps folks on the home page here for better advice. They may be able to duplicate the section for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Use the Right Stuff

If you make the body part repair yourself, be sure to use the correct bonding agent.
    Ordinary epoxies do not bond to the plastic used for body panels.

I suggest the following or equivalent:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-8...ndingMethod=rr

The trick is get something that will bond "ABS Plastic". If it doesn't clearly state ABS plastic then get something that does.

For Fiberglass substrate, I use the Fiberglass tape made for wallboard joints. It's inexpensive and easy to use. Also, it's far easier to fill the voids with the epoxy glue and shape it than using traditional fiberglass matting.

That's all I got.
    Should you choose this mission, the secretary will disavow any actions of you or your IMF team.
    And, as always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Keep us posted so we know how you made out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Broke Part

No I only have the blue RT, Didn't have my camera available so I used a pic of the net. Looks like I will have to make my own, I will get the bonding agent as suggested thanks alot for all your replies. I going to check all the auto wreckers in the area in case there is a wrecked one(God Forbid) and take it from there. I agree about the wrap(impossible) but going to contact graphics depot and see if they can provide the pieces required.

Thanks again

Mike