Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Keys for the RT622 trailer

I will be swapping my 2013 for a 2012, as the 2013 is Vegas white and my 2012 RT Limited is Pearl White. I am wondering what to do about the keys, as I think the key is the same as the bike. Should there be two new keys cut, one for each bike? Thanks for any info...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I will be swapping my 2013 for a 2012, as the 2013 is Vegas white and my 2012 RT Limited is Pearl White. I am wondering what to do about the keys, as I think the key is the same as the bike. Should there be two new keys cut, one for each bike? Thanks for any info...
    Are you swapping trailers as well? If not then the tumbler from the 2013 should be used in the trailer and the tumbler for the 2012 should go with the trade in.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Are you swapping trailers as well? If not then the tumbler from the 2013 should be used in the trailer and the tumbler for the 2012 should go with the trade in.
    Make sure you still have the key of the 2012 avaliable to swap tumblers or it will be a PITA to remove it. It can be done, but it takes a loooooong time!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I just received my 2013 RT-622 from my dealer last Saturday. The invoice said Vegas white but it is in fact PEARL white. My salesman said that the Pearl white is the only white from Can Am this year.

2013 RT-Limited Pearl White Chocolate Seat
    RT-622 Trailer
    Baker Air Wings
    Diamond R Arm Rests
    12 V power outlet in Frunk
    BRPTravel Cover
    Spyderpops Bump Skid, Belt Rock Guard
    Utopia Driver backrest
    RT Cup Holder/Accessory Mount
    ISCI tall flag Holder
    Custom Dynamics Run-Brake-Turn LED HMT Light
    Custom Dynamics GEN2c Brake Light Strobe/Flasher
    Tricled LED Flag Light, R/V Mirror Turn Signals

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

JT
    We will be swapping complete trailers.. Can a new key be made for both trailers using the existing keys ?

Spyder Garage

We will be swapping complete trailers.. Can a new key be made for both trailers using the existing keys ?
    The new spyder will come with a tumbler and you use that on the new trailer. The rest is up to the dealer to sort out. The trailer tumbler usually goes with the spyder not the trailer.

JT

Spyder Garage

My spyder is a 2013 RT-S. My trailer which was painted circuit yellow metallic is a 2012. My dealer took the tumbler for my 2013 and installed it in the 2012 trailer.

Chris

Spyder Garage

If the tumblers are already in place in both trailers, it might be difficult to try to swap them. If you find they cannot swap them, a key without the chip could be cut for each trailer. While the trailer key would fit the original matching Spyder, without the key it could not start it.

Not a great compromise, but might be a workable solution.

It may also be that there is a blank or specially cut "locksmith" key that would disengage the tabs that lock the tumbler in place when installed. If that is the case, the locks could be swapped.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I may dove-tail on this topic - - - I just bought a used 2010 RT622 and it came with 1 key, but no fob.
    • Can I get it re-keyed so I can use my Spyder key to lock it?
    • Can I buy a key-condom somewhere?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Answers in bold

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    If I may dove-tail on this topic - - - I just bought a used 2010 RT622 and it came with 1 key, but no fob.
    • Can I get it re-keyed so I can use my Spyder key to lock it? I would ask a locksmith. But most likely it would need the new tumblers on both and trailer and that is $$$
    • Can I buy a key-condom somewhere? Dealers should have them. I think they are $4.95. My dealer gave me one free though.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bullant12!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The key barrel can be removed from the trailer and replaced with the one that came with your Spyder. It does not take a locksmith. It is covered in the service manual. The basic procedure is remove the latch assembly then remove a few parts till you are at the back of the key barrel. With the key in push the retaining tab in and pull out the key barrel.

JT

Spyder Garage

The key barrel can be removed from the trailer and replaced with the one that came with your Spyder. It does not take a locksmith. It is covered in the service manual. The basic procedure is remove the latch assembly then remove a few parts till you are at the back of the key barrel. With the key in push the retaining tab in and pull out the key barrel.

JT
    But if there is no barrel, then there is a locksmith needing $$$

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    But if there is no barrel, then there is a locksmith needing $$$
    If there is no key barrel you spend $35 and buy one from Can Am then insert key and push barrel in till it clicks and your done. Don't have a clue if you can get matching keys or not after the fact.

JT

Spyder Garage

If there is no key barrel you spend $35 and buy one from Can Am then insert key and push barrel in till it clicks and your done. Don't have a clue if you can get matching keys or not after the fact.

JT
    It isn't quite as easy as it seems. Many have had their barrels come part way out, necessitating drilling out the lock to get into the trunk. BRP issued a service bulletin to supplement the service manual instructions, for this reason. Be sure the barrel is all the way engaged, and doesn't merely click into place while remaining not fully seated. If in doubt, see your dealer. Most will install the tumbler for a nominal fee...or even for free.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!