Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Storage...

So since I can only fit one helmet in the frunk, and can't fit the other in the rear compartments, I am curious about using the Helmet tie downs under the seat?

Seem like someone in the know would be able to snap that piece of plastic right off. Also since the strap is not long enough, whats the best helmet lock cable?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried putting one in the right-hand saddlebag? I found that if I laid the Missus' helmet on it's side; it'd fit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have the Shoei Neotec, you can only fit one in the front and we put the other in the right side storage. Unless you are using it for something else, put the helmet in so the top is to the outside.

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default helmet storage

right side and the frunk are it we have modualar helment and if I open the visorI can put 2 in the frunk

Spyder Garage

Since my RS frunk often looks like the backseat of a hoarder's car , I can only fit my helmet in there, and only if I shove everything at the bottom down. So, when the GF rides, I just keep her full-face helmet on the seat, but I run a combo bike lock (that I keep stowed in the bottom of my frunk) through the helmet and loop it through the passenger hand-holds. The lock also works in a pinch to keep a riding jacket on the bike in the event I don't want to wear it in to wherever I'm going, just loop it through an arm and walk away.

!BlKeG7Q!mk~$(KGrHqEH-DUEtpUYGgy(BL,gqoMjsw~~_35.JPG
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    So since I can only fit one helmet in the frunk, and can't fit the other in the rear compartments, I am curious about using the Helmet tie downs under the seat?

Seem like someone in the know would be able to snap that piece of plastic right off. Also since the strap is not long enough, whats the best helmet lock cable?
    We've been using a pair of 1" D rings on the long strap and the hooks under the seat.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Master Lock Python is keyed with an adjustable, braided steel cable that gives you all kinda options for locking down items on the or anyplace else. Runs $10-15 depending on what cable size you want.

Still small enough to easily store in frunk when not in use. Plus, you get Master Lock quality to keep the bad guys away, or at least looking elsewhere for something to steal!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CruiseRT View Post
    My wife and I have the Shoei Neotec, you can only fit one in the front and we put the other in the right side storage. Unless you are using it for something else, put the helmet in so the top is to the outside.
    My wife and I have the same helmet. Mine is an XL and her's is a M. I fit BOTH in the front compartment provided we have nothing else in there. Requires placing them in oposite (one facing up and the other down. Tight fit but it works for us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    My wife and I have the same helmet. Mine is an XL and her's is a M. I fit BOTH in the front compartment provided we have nothing else in there. Requires placing them in oposite (one facing up and the other down. Tight fit but it works for us.
    I'll have to try that.....

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Cable locks..!!

wife and I have HJC modular helmets and if we have stuff in the frunk (both fit there) we use a kryptonite retractable cable lock. Small combination locks. Several companies make them you can pick and choose. Can lock helmets jackets etc..good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Those helmet hooks are much tougher than you would think. It would be very difficult to snap one off. Some helmets will fit, while some will not. You have to fasten the chin strap as loose as it will go to have a fighting chance. My Scorpion works easily this way, my Arai is a bit of a struggle, my Fulmer strap was too short. One alternative is to loop a long, heavy ziptie, put it through the D-rings, and use it as an extension. The big zipties take 50 pounds or more force to break, and work well in this manner. If they can use them for handcuffs, a helmet should be a piece of cake. Another good extension is a small cable lock like a gun lock. Good extension loop, or lock right to the grab bars. As was also said, the rught saddlebag will hold most helmets if laid on their sides.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My Arai XL Signet Q fits fine in the right saddle bag. I do have to lay it on it's side.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

I put a machine screw at the edge of the Frunk attached to the small piece that goes around the fuse box. I pulled it out and on the side away from the fuse box there is plenty of room. I drilled a hole and tried using a pop rivet to hold the hook but the pop rivet just pulled out of the plastic. So I drilled a larger hole and put a machine screw with 2 nut one on each side of the plastic. I hook the "D" ring over the screw and close the Frunk. Holds quite well.
    how helmet securedx.jpgsecured helmetx.jpg
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet storage

The way we do it:

1. Saddle bag style:

A. Clean everything out of the bag.

B. Reduce the helmet to its smallest configuration. Reposition anything that is moveable to make it as small as physically possible.

C. Stand looking at the bag with the lid open. Turn the helmet to where the front faces forward. Insert helmet with the top facing out. Try to close the bag lid. Did it close?

1. If yes experiment using a helmet bag, gloves, etc until it won't. Then remove the "won't" item and your done.

2. If no experiment with turning it 180 degrees or any other way you can think of!

2. Trunk: pretty much the same as 1a, & b.

3. Frunk:

A. See 1a & b.

B. insert # 1 into space except lay on its narrowest side. Insert # 2 the same way. Try to close lid easily. Not necessary to fram or slam! Did it work?

1. If yes. Try inserting some other storage items.

2. If no. Try turning the bottom on its "top" and the top on its "bottom."

4. If nothing works say "ding it we tried."

(layout changed on me sorry about that)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I'm feeling lazy; I use a handgun cable-lock. I just hook it to my Diamond-R armrests!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will try, but niether fit in the right side saddle bag.

I have a Shoei Qwest xxl and she has a Shoei RF1100 L. It Almost fits in the saddle bag, but it wont close...

After reading the manual which says you cna fit a helmet in each compartment, I guess I should have assumed they meant a bicycle helmet :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post

I think if someone wants your helmet, it will be gone, regardless; however, to keep from tempting someone who would otherwise leave it alone, I would secure it via the tiedowns and whatever strap extender you decide on. It's funny, but I sometimes hang my helmet, which does not have any D-rings on the strap, beneath my son-in-law's GW on his helmet locks. All anyone has to do is unsnap the strap and walk off with the helmet. Haven't lost one yet. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    I think if someone wants your helmet, it will be gone, regardless; however, to keep from tempting someone who would otherwise leave it alone, I would secure it via the tiedowns and whatever strap extender you decide on. It's funny, but I sometimes hang my helmet, which does not have any D-rings on the strap, beneath my son-in-law's GW on his helmet locks. All anyone has to do is unsnap the strap and walk off with the helmet. Haven't lost one yet. ;-)
    If it doesn't have any D-rings or similar how do you plan for it to stay on if your in a wreck?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    If it doesn't have any D-rings or similar how do you plan for it to stay on if your in a wreck?
    Funny - it's got a fastener that connects to two side straps together but no D-ring that's fixed to either strap that would require cutting the strap to remove the helmet from a lock, thus... "All anyone has to do is unsnap the strap and walk off with the helmet."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

$20 for 2 pair of black handcuffs from Amazon and I just handcuff them to the passenger hold bars. Works great.
    2013 Spyder RT SE5

Spyder Garage
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ilove how y'all have all tehse great idea's for RT's but those of us with RS's don't have much. I have a bif melon XL RF 1100 Shoei and it is all that will fit in the Frunk. If iw try I can get my jacket in there with it. If my daughter rides with me we have to do something else with her helmet. I am liking the idea of attaching it to the passanger grab bar. I just need to find the best solution for that. By the way handcuff's look like a great idea but one key fits all( just throwing that out there.) thanks for some really good idea's in here guys, this is why I hang around and read.

Bill

Spyder Garage

the man that said use a gun lock is the least coast you get one with ever gun and they are free from most police and sheriff stations,yes free and there strong check it out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another idea

Go to your neighborhood fishing tackle and ask them to help you make a pair of miniature sling type cables you would have experiment on the length. Cable leader is plastic coated and they normally crimp them to make loops.

To use them all you should have to do is pop the seat loose. Insert a cable half a length thru the dee rings then hook both loops over the helmet hangers and shut the seat assembly.

a roll of cable wire, a bag of crimp sleeves if my memory serves me well should run about$10. And make you 10 or more cables.