Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default how many of you have removed the splash panel?

I know many of you removed the splash panel to help on the heat and to make the oil change easy. Has anyone had any cons from doing this?ν

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I didn't remove it, but drilled 50 half inch holes in it.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I popped them out of the way...
    More road crap finds it's way into the bottom of the bike; that's about the only negative that I've experienced with the change...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How about a picture to show what you did and do you think it helped much?

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

I had it done on my 2010 RT-S when Harvey with Spyderpops installed my heat shield. No ill effects occurred.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Removed them on my 08 GS and my ST, haven't had any Ill effects either. I thought the bottom of the motor might get dirty from road grime, etc., but after 40,000 miles it still looks relatively clean.

Spyder Garage

Removed both of them on my 2012 RT Ltd, but later re-installed the RH one because the hot air flow upwards increased after I drilled holes in the Swoosh.

Re-installing the RH splash panel let the air flow out the back instead of being pushed upward by road air turbulence at highway speeds.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Removed both sides and stored away.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Removed both on GS and Oil filter side on RT.No my warranty is Null and Void?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Never have, never will. They were put there by design for a purpose. Mine are staying on.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Removed both on GS and Oil filter side on RT.No my warranty is Null and Void?
    No......or now?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    No......or now?
    Or Know

Spyder Garage

Default Hate to add a question...!!

many comment they removed them for cooling...does it help..?? One of you put one side back on because it made it hotter... here's why..with the spyderpops scoop extension and added vent to the bottom right side is cooler.. Wrapping the pipe on the left side made that cooler. Did not remove the panels. Like them there for the added protection of some vital components...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default how many of you have removed the splash panel?

Removed them long ago. Helps with cooling on the feet quite a bit on my RS. If anything the area will also stay cleaner as well as being easier to monitor and service. IMHO- The pans will trap more crap than they prevent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 06-04-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Removed both of them on my 2012 RT Ltd, but later re-installed the RH one because the hot air flow upwards increased after I drilled holes in the Swoosh.

Re-installing the RH splash panel let the air flow out the back instead of being pushed upward by road air turbulence at highway speeds.

I put mine RH side back on also. mainly to keep crap out. Never removed the LH side.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Our oil change (left side) panels haven't lasted past 600 miles. I took off Nancy's right side panel, but results as better heat control were mixed. I reinstalled it when I installed SpyderPop's heat control kit. I have never bothered to remove the right panels on my RTs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The answer? Everyone who wants to run cooler with less heat on your body parts. The panels serve no useful purpose other than closing the door on the oven. If you enjoy the heat, leave them on...

If you're not sure, take them off and run for awhile. They go back on just as easily as they come off. My bet is that they will adorn your garage until the day you sell your Spyder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took mine off many moons ago...no negatives.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Left side is off, won't go back on helps with service etc. right side I trimmed to leave about 40% of it as I wanted to keep some vitals covered next to the frame. Also drilled and cut some holes in the plastic swoop hoping to allow more hot air to escape. Installed spyderpops upper block off plate. I think it would help to have a small spoiler type piece under there to create a negative pressure area that I believe would draw more air down and out. All vehicles create a positive pressure under them, Nascar uses the front air dams to create negative pressure under the cars that results in downforce for better traction. It would be great to see a wind tunnel test of the spyder to see what happens to the air underneath it. I would like to see the air "sucked" out the bottom, this would end the heat issue. There is a lot of smart folks on the forum and I am sure people are playing with it now. I am going to piddle with it and see what happens.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

If you have the skid plate it shouldn't be to difficult to add a spoiler to it. Certainly have plenty of ground clearance to work with.

Spyder Garage

With my 2010 I removed them when I installed Spyderpops Block plate. No issues.
    I left them on my 2013 even with the Block Plate. No issues so far at 3800 miles and rode 4 times with near 90 degree and VERY humid weather conditions.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    How about a picture to show what you did and do you think it helped much?
    Here's a picture of the splash panel I removed for the SpyderPops Block Off Plate.

I cut out part of it and pop riveted some aluminum vented material I got from Lowes.

I have not re-installed this just yet, but will probably get a chance this weekend. I will compare the "before" temp to the "after" temp to see if there is any difference.

I just want to keep out some road debris and also vent the area...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    With my 2010 I removed them when I installed Spyderpops Block plate. No issues.
    I left them on my 2013 even with the Block Plate. No issues so far at 3800 miles and rode 4 times with near 90 degree and VERY humid weather conditions.
    I did the same as you took them off on the 2010 and left them on the 2013. I haven't had any heat issues (right foot) either in 100+ temps. Maybe they finally did something to fix the issue.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The answer? Everyone who wants to run cooler with less heat on your body parts. The panels serve no useful purpose other than closing the door on the oven. If you enjoy the heat, leave them on...

If you're not sure, take them off and run for awhile. They go back on just as easily as they come off. My bet is that they will adorn your garage until the day you sell your Spyder.
    What are the splash panels,are they the 2 wings out the side that I sometimes rest my feet on?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwritesel View Post
    What are the splash panels,are they the 2 wings out the side that I sometimes rest my feet on?

No.. they are under the machine on the right and left sides opposite the radiator.

They are secured by two bolts at front and side and one rear bolt that is a bitch to remove. Most folks just cut the panel and leave the bolt in place. It is also a good idea to replace the front and side bolts once the panels are removed.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)