Spyder Garage

Default Saddlebags question

Hello Chaps,

I own a 2011 Spyder RS Pearl White (The Whyte Knyght as I affectionately call her)... i'm looking at saddlebag solutions. The Givi BRP ones look good, but I've never mounted anything like that, and looking at some threads on here, there looks to be some lack of instructions from BRP on them, as well as some tight fit spots.

I also looked at the Corbin bags, which are sexy, but I was told by my local service guy that they are a nightmare to service the bike with.

So, that known... what would you suggest for a good solution, that looks good, is under $1500, and may (or may not) be easy in install.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I just installed the BRP bags two weeks ago and didn't find them difficult to install at all (on my 2012 RS). I think the instructions must have been improved over time. I had one small problem -- the kit includes new side panel vents which have a hole in them to allow your brackets to fit through your side panels. Mine didn't line up (at all) with the holes in these vents, so I marked my old vent covers and cut them out with a dremel tool and the fit was perfect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    I just installed the BRP bags two weeks ago and didn't find them difficult to install at all (on my 2012 RS). I think the instructions must have been improved over time. I had one small problem -- the kit includes new side panel vents which have a hole in them to allow your brackets to fit through your side panels. Mine didn't line up (at all) with the holes in these vents, so I marked my old vent covers and cut them out with a dremel tool and the fit was perfect.
    Thanks rlynchtx! I'm a bit mechanically declined, but how long did it take for installation do you think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Toxziq View Post
    Thanks rlynchtx! I'm a bit mechanically declined, but how long did it take for installation do you think?
    I'm not a mechanic, but I do a fair amount of tinkering on my bikes and cars. I think it took me about 2 - 2.5 hours. I found the pictures that others have posted here to be of help. Once you understand how the brackets work, it's pretty easy to understand how they fit. Also, I didn't find any tight fits/limited access on my bike. I have the BRP sport rack and BRP passenger back rest in place and also didn't have any interference with the release cable that others have commented on. I'm thinking there must be some slight differences on the bikes over the years because my battery box wasn't really in the way of attaching the mounting bolts that are near this box.

Spyder Garage

Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed Givis on my RS, took about 3hrs because I didn't research the forums here beforehand. The time consuming part was getting the Spyder's seat off, helps to have extension sockets or flex drives to get at the bolts.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I installed Givis on my RS, took about 3hrs because I didn't research the forums here beforehand. The time consuming part was getting the Spyder's seat off, helps to have extension sockets or flex drives to get at the bolts.
    Which Givis did you mount up? Aside from the time consuming seat removal, did you have any real problems? I'm considering a set for my wife's ST-S
    --------------------
    '12 1199 Panigale
    '99 Triumph ST
    Chief mechanic for wife's '13 Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Does the instructions for the BRP frame require the removal of the seat? If so why?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default LUGGAGE

If it's hard bags you want then go with Givi bags. But if you want to save a lot of money and don't mind soft bags, then check out cycleluggage.com. I ordered a set of Nelson Riggs bags from them for my ST-S and love them! All for under $150.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I just installed the Givi bags a couple days ago. Keep in mind that there are two different mounting systems for these. The bags are the same, except for the logo, but the mounting racks are very different. The Givi mount that I have installs very easy, with the exception of removing the seat to get at the two rear bolts. I did not have to remove my seat, but I did unsnap the lift cylinder so I could raise the seat a bit more. Took me about an hour to mount them.

Now the BRP mounts are a bit more involved, but the reason is you can remove the mounting rack very quickly if you don't use the bags all the time. On my Givi mount, once the bags are removed, the rack stays. I like the look of the bike with the bags on, so that's not a problem for me.

If you want to look at the Givi instructions, you can grab them here:

http://www.giviusa.com/attachfile/co...man_plx770.pdf
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Does the instructions for the BRP frame require the removal of the seat? If so why?

I think that is for the Givi rack only, but I'm not sure.
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

+1 on the nelson Rigg soft bags by far a better solution for the price and the fit was excellent as well as the quality with rain covers also they hold more luggage and are also removable at a third of the price. more farkling with the extra money floor boarde,hand brake ect.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Firefly has got a good thread on the install of the BRP Givi bags..... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...RP-Saddle-Bags

Spyder Garage

Not to be argumentative - but I'll have to give my 2 cents - not sure what this service guy is smoking - I installed the corbin bags myself, took me a few hours only because I'm not the most handy of people. I find it hard to believe it would make it hard to service the bike - in fact I've taken them off before having it serviced once even to spare them the grief.

Personally - i LOVE the look of the Corbin ones - and i would bet, they would look really awesome in white!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    +1 on the nelson Rigg soft bags by far a better solution for the price and the fit was excellent as well as the quality with rain covers also they hold more luggage and are also removable at a third of the price. more farkling with the extra money floor boarde,hand brake ect.
    Mike
    I, too, have the Nelson Riggs for my RS. Worked great. LOTS of room

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 35

givi is the only way to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    I think that is for the Givi rack only, but I'm not sure.
    BRP rack does not require you to remove the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post
    Firefly has got a good thread on the install of the BRP Givi bags..... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...RP-Saddle-Bags
    Firefly's thread is probably going to be a good help if you have the instructions, but without the instructions the thread doesn't tell you much.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.