Thread: GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I have a couple of 550 Zumo and one is always on the RT. For years I really hate the software it came with. Is there something better than the Garmin MapSource to create a route and download it?
    Is there an easy way to create a route on the Zumo itself?
    Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a Nuvi 1490 and felt the same way about the Garmin program. I found the Harley Davidson Ride Planner works pretty good. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...e-planner.html It lets me program the ride and sync to the GPS. this can all be done as a guest without creating and saving a profile if you so choose. Good Luck!
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    I have a couple of 550 Zumo and one is always on the RT. For years I really hate the software it came with. Is there something better than the Garmin MapSource to create a route and download it?

Is there an easy way to create a route on the Zumo itself?
    The new TomTom Rider 5 (or TomTom Rider 2013) recommends Tyre website for their product with its free software. However, when you visit the actual website, it says it is for Garmin products also.

There is a FREE version that has worked well for me. Here is the link: http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

I have no actual experience with this software and a Garmin product. If you use it, let the rest of us know how it worked out?

Spyder Garage

i use Tyre with my Garmin. it is easy to use, although you have to make sure you are zoomed in far enough on the map to see if it is a divided highway, otherwise you can get some really strange routes. Tyre is developed in England, and was developed for TomTom, but now works with Garmin. Use can also convert to XML for import into Google Earth or Google Maps. The only issue i have found is not with Tyre, but Google has issues with import if there are two many points. I am using it to plan my fall cross country ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree the Garmin ride planner stuff is not easy to use. I use the Harley Davidson ride planner. http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...idePlanner.jsp
    The learning curve is pretty short. I really like how easy it is to insert waypoints. It imports directly to your garmin.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I tried the HD one and it is mainly ok but it has the tendency to shortcut the chosen road; have to multiply the waypoints to really impose your route.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Most of the mapping programs (Google, Bing, etc.) will transfer planned routes to the Garmin, but please realize that they only transfer waypoints (including MapSouce). The Garmin will calulate its own route, depending on the settings, from those waypoints. A special route requires a lot of waypoints, and some just don't work no matter how well you map them...like much of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I just let the MIssus tell me where to go... Even if one particular location doesn't seem to be all-too pleasant!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's why I just let the MIssus tell me where to go... Even if one particular location doesn't seem to be all-too pleasant!
    My wife does me the same way. she saw this post over my shoulder !!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does the Garmin show how to get there??? LOL

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Most of the mapping programs (Google, Bing, etc.) will transfer planned routes to the Garmin, but please realize that they only transfer waypoints (including MapSouce). The Garmin will calulate its own route, depending on the settings, from those waypoints. A special route requires a lot of waypoints, and some just don't work no matter how well you map them...like much of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Amen Most people don't realize this. Generally if there is a shorter way, the GPS software is going to take it. You can negate some of this with restrictions in the software such as "no tolls", "avoid highways(interstates)" etc. but if you want to go from point A to point B but want to go through point C to get there you must set up point C as a waypoint. In most software the hard part is setting up the waypoints in a logical manner. One thing to realize also is after you transfer a route to the garmin, you must let it calculate it. I always then check it to make sure it's what I want. The garmin software has a mind of it's own, so always check the route on the GPS before you take off.,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Does the Garmin show how to get there??? LOL
    No; but SHE does!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black