Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    After spending a many weeks here reading both positive and negative posts and PMs(doing my homework), I come to the following conclusion: It absolutely makes no sense for me to go from my very low mileage '09 GW Trike to a '13 Limited. My reasoing:
    a. there is at least a 50/50 chance of getting a 2013 RT-Limited with issues, of one kind or another. Seems like many RT owners prefer the 2012.
    b. I have NO local dealer. The dealer in my state with the BEST reputation for both sales and service is 2 hours away by freeway. Expansion of a competent dealer network should be a BRP priority, as GaBK alluded too.
    c. Seems like owners spend a signifigant amount of coin adding farkles that should be included as standard equipment, especially on a Limited branded model.
    d. An average of 27-30 MPG for a touring machine is just too low. I know there are some that report 33-35 MPG; but they are a minority. Not to mention the preference for mid grade or premium fuel.
    e. PMs telling me "Don't Do It", or "You Pay the Money, You Take the Chances" are not confidence inspiring that either BRP or the majority of dealers don't know what's it takes to build or service a reliable $30K trike.
    I had really hoped that my desire to evolve to a RT-S SE5 or Limited would have come to a different conclusion. I am developing treatment neccessary OA in my thumbs(L>R) after 40 years of work. It sure would have been nice not to have to clutch and brake with my hands. This riding season will be a water shed year for me.. I will continue to monitor this great forum to see "if the wind changes".
    Mike
    You make some very valid points for someone viewing the site and trying to make a determination of to buy or not to buy.

I am one who has owned four Spyders since their inception. I got a later model 2008 and a premier edition of the 2010 RT-S of which many say has issues. I now have 32,000 miles on the 2010 RT-S and have not had any major problems with it. My total Spyder miles have now accumulated to 84,000 plus miles.

That said, I am fortunate to have a competent dealer when it comes to mechanics. They have been willing and able to fix any issues I have had. The other bonus, they are close to my home.

Problems with finding a competent dealer to work on the Spyder seems to be the paramount issue to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

After spending a many weeks here reading both positive and negative posts and PMs(doing my homework), I come to the following conclusion: It absolutely makes no sense for me to go from my very low mileage '09 GW Trike to a '13 Limited. My reasoing:
    a. there is at least a 50/50 chance of getting a 2013 RT-Limited with issues, of one kind or another. Seems like many RT owners prefer the 2012.
    b. I have NO local dealer. The dealer in my state with the BEST reputation for both sales and service is 2 hours away by freeway. Expansion of a competent dealer network should be a BRP priority, as GaBK alluded too.
    c. Seems like owners spend a signifigant amount of coin adding farkles that should be included as standard equipment, especially on a Limited branded model.
    d. An average of 27-30 MPG for a touring machine is just too low. I know there are some that report 33-35 MPG; but they are a minority. Not to mention the preference for mid grade or premium fuel.
    e. PMs telling me "Don't Do It", or "You Pay the Money, You Take the Chances" are not confidence inspiring that either BRP or the majority of dealers don't know what's it takes to build or service a reliable $30K trike.
    I had really hoped that my desire to evolve to a RT-S SE5 or Limited would have come to a different conclusion. I am developing treatment neccessary OA in my thumbs(L>R) after 40 years of work. It sure would have been nice not to have to clutch and brake with my hands. This riding season will be a water shed year for me.. I will continue to monitor this great forum to see "if the wind changes".
    Mike
    Good decision.. Stick with the GW! Just gives us one more vehicle to pass in the twisties!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I've been riding my 2013 RT-Ltd since mid April and now have over 1500 miles on it. Other than a belt vibration issue that was fixed at the 600 mile service, I've had no problems at all with my Spyder. On Monday, I'm leaving for the Owner's Event in Maggie Valley. I riding my Spyder and I anticipate having no problems either going to Maggie Valley or on the way home.

This forum has given me a lot of excellent information on how to maintain and ride my RT. It's been said many times on Spyder Lovers and I agree, a good dealer that has a good mechanic is key to having a trouble-free Spyder. If you don't like the dealer you have now, go find another that will treat you right. After all it's your money.

There is a dealer who is 10 miles from home but I've chosen to use the dealer who's 50 miles from home. Sure it's a little inconvenient to have to drive an hour for service, but so is breaking down on the road. I chose the dealer who's farther away because they wanted my business and were willing to treat me right. Another forum member here has also had the same experience.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

coffee ice cream
    That's my favorite flavor but hard to find in my area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Good decision.. Stick with the GW! Just gives us one more vehicle to pass in the twisties!
    Now that was just so impishly mean...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now that was just so impishly mean...
    Seems to me like there are a lot of those types on both sides of this issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well that's just what makes it an issue; two sides!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Regret buying this piece so crap !

Ron, that was mean, but I will still wave at you when you are filling up and I go by. Us GW guys need to stick together. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You make some very valid points for someone viewing the site and trying to make a determination of to buy or not to buy.
    Problems with finding a competent dealer to work on the Spyder seems to be the paramount issue to me.
    Thank you for your kind words. The equation for a good ride seems to be the intergration of three factors as I see it:
    a. a properly built unit from BRP, and
    b. the properly assembled and tested unit from a competent dealer.
    c. Reasonable labor charges
    And you shouldn't have to frive 100+ miles to achieve that goal.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So Dave,
    May we refer to you as, "The Local Wing-Nut"?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So Dave,
    May we refer to you as, "The Local Wing-Nut"?
    Why YES.......I like that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then it's yours; my friend!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong.
    You complain at length that what is being said here is not to your liking because it offers mostly heat ... very little light. Fortunately this freely expressed collection of opinions, anecdotes, first and second-hand experiences exists in a forum which enables you, if you so wish, to move on to other points of view expressed in other threads. I trust you will find one more to your liking.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Regret buying this piece so crap !

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post
    I've been riding my 2013 RT-Ltd since mid April and now have over 1500 miles on it. Other than a belt vibration issue that was fixed at the 600 mile service, I've had no problems at all with my Spyder. On Monday, I'm leaving for the Owner's Event in Maggie Valley. I riding my Spyder and I anticipate having no problems either going to Maggie Valley or on the way home.

This forum has given me a lot of excellent information on how to maintain and ride my RT. It's been said many times on Spyder Lovers and I agree, a good dealer that has a good mechanic is key to having a trouble-free Spyder. If you don't like the dealer you have now, go find another that will treat you right. After all it's your money.

There is a dealer who is 10 miles from home but I've chosen to use the dealer who's 50 miles from home. Sure it's a little inconvenient to have to drive an hour for service, but so is breaking down on the road. I chose the dealer who's farther away because they wanted my business and were willing to treat me right. Another forum member here has also had the same experience.

Tony
    I'm jealous Tony! Wish I could go too but work, work, work. Enjoy the ryde!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    DREAM ON
    You're kidding? Right.

Any self respecting duce in the back rider will tell you it's a fact.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    DREAM ON
    Dream on? A GW trike is no match for a Spyder twistie or straightaway.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

If you don't go into limp mode...just saying..................!!:>)
    Mike R
    SoCal
    1986 HONDA HELIX CN250

2011 CAN AM SPYDER RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gremlins

Since I am actively looking for a Spyder RT and live in PA, a NJ neighbor, perhaps you can tell us either the name of the problematic dealer or at the very least, the town location.
    Thank you,
    Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Ron, that was mean, but I will still wave at you when you are filling up and I go by. Us GW guys need to stick together. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    And you Gold Wingers will keep on trying to pick the scoot up if it goes down and still have to push it to get into reverse most of the time or whatever..Why do you feel the need to put down others that want to ride what they want to?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Give this Dave a little leeway; he's been on both, and has made his decision...
    He might be a "Wing Nut; but dammmit; he's OUR Wing Nut!
    And he still comes in here because we've got the coolest kids on the playground in this sandbox!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Every bike made

Every bike made breaks sometime. So if you don't like it just sell it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread was dead back in June (6/18), but accidentally got "resurrected" when someone new asked the op a legitimate question about his dealer. See post #119

Lets see if we can get get him his answer, then let this thread fade away back into the darkness...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    This thread was dead back in June (6/18), but accidentally got "resurrected" when someone new asked the op a legitimate question about his dealer. See post #119

Lets see if we can get get him his answer, then let this thread fade away back into the darkness...

100% agree!!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by odyssey009 View Post
    Since I am actively looking for a Spyder RT and live in PA, a NJ neighbor, perhaps you can tell us either the name of the problematic dealer or at the very least, the town location.
    Thank you,
    Michael
    Odessy...i'm not sure what dealer or which unhappy guy you are refering to.... One of the dealers is up in North jersey....

I'm in south jersey and take my bike to J & J powersports in DE. Small shop, but good guys and good service. Ask for Jim.

I bought mine in MO...thats a whole judder story..
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Someone has to beat my record....

I paid $562.00 for 600 mile service. Edsts's $400 is the next highest I believe. Anyone higher out there?

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust