Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Installed HID lights and spyder went CRAZY!!!

I bought the HID lighting kit from Xenon Depot. Spent an insane amount of time getting the spyder tore down and carefully routing wires and securing all wires from harms way. Tested the lights and they fire up with the trigger switch on the right handlebar PERFECT... Tried starting the spyder and it fires for 5 seconds then kills the motor and the display says " VSS fault" and "check DPS". I cannot get the spyder to run with the headlights connected. If I pull the fuse it will start and most times have a very high idle and other times run just fine. If it pull the fuse for the headlights and start it and then push the fuse in while it's running.... sometimes it revs the engine up and won't idle back down and other times it kills the engine instantly. Anybody got any ideas???? Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe my HID venture
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I bought the HID lighting kit from Xenon Depot. Spent an insane amount of time getting the spyder tore down and carefully routing wires and securing all wires from harms way. Tested the lights and they fire up with the trigger switch on the right handlebar PERFECT... Tried starting the spyder and it fires for 5 seconds then kills the motor and the display says " VSS fault" and "check DPS". I cannot get the spyder to run with the headlights connected. If I pull the fuse it will start and most times have a very high idle and other times run just fine. If it pull the fuse for the headlights and start it and then push the fuse in while it's running.... sometimes it revs the engine up and won't idle back down and other times it kills the engine instantly. Anybody got any ideas???? Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe my HID venture
    Mine did the exact same thing I've got one working fine still fighting the other one shielding with foil helps and reversing the feed wires seems to make a differance also I found my battery connection caused more sensitivity some have give up on these kits xenon dept won't return my call and act like they have no idea this ever happens like I said mine did the exact thing you described I still can't figure out how it makes it run fast with throttle cable and throttle by wire
    2 happy happy spyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My GS did the same thing with the Xenon HID....Once installed it rev'd up to around 5-6k in neutral and I have to hit the kill switch...Then it wouldn't start ...just crank...kept trying for another 5 minutes and it'd do the same...Come to find out it was placement of the ballasts too close to the electrical circuitry...Moved the ballasts to another location and it was fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Installed HID lights and spyder went CRAZY!!!

Mine would not allow the Spyder to start on the first try. It would always start-stall. Hit the button again and it would start. Appeared to be due to the load to first fire the ballasts.
    To fix I was told I would need to spend more money for different ballasts that draw less power at startup......would have been nice to know BEFORE I ordered what I had and had everything installed. I pulled it all out and went back to the stock lights. I want to ride, not have the machine pulled apart in the garage.
    My kid installed the kit i pulled from the spyder in his VW and said they work great....haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    My GS did the same thing with the Xenon HID....Once installed it rev'd up to around 5-6k in neutral and I have to hit the kill switch...Then it wouldn't start ...just crank...kept trying for another 5 minutes and it'd do the same...Come to find out it was placement of the ballasts too close to the electrical circuitry...Moved the ballasts to another location and it was fine.
    Curious where you moved them to? I can't get mine any further away without extending the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mine would not allow the Spyder to start on the first try. It would always start-stall. Hit the button again and it would start. Appeared to be due to the load to first fire the ballasts.
    To fix I was told I would need to spend more money for different ballasts that draw less power at startup......would have been nice to know BEFORE I ordered what I had and had everything installed. I pulled it all out and went back to the stock lights. I want to ride, not have the machine pulled apart in the garage.
    My kid installed the kit i pulled from the spyder in his VW and said they work great....haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless something obvious comes up as a reliable solution I'm likely pulling mine too. This project has been a long drawn out waste of time. Maybe my atv has the same headlight.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Installed HID lights and spyder went CRAZY!!!

Make sure your ballasts are mounted to plastic and not touching metal. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and if you have fog lights, they are turned off when you start the spyder. I had them on mt Phantom and the rt. It takes moving the ballasts around a little, but they will work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Make sure your ballasts are mounted to plastic and not touching metal. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and if you have fog lights, they are turned off when you start the spyder. I had them on mt Phantom and the rt. It takes moving the ballasts around a little, but they will work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    After the initial starting issue, I went straight for the battery charger and let it charge for a hour and it had no effect on the issue. Also tried starting it with the charger on it. Same thing. Tried running a ground wire to different areas.... Same thing. Grounded the cases of the ballasts... Same thing. Took the ballasts off of the metal frame... Same thing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After the initial starting issue, I went straight for the battery charger and let it charge for a hour and it had no effect on the issue. Also tried starting it with the charger on it. Same thing. Tried running a ground wire to different areas.... Same thing. Grounded the cases of the ballasts... Same thing. Took the ballasts off of the metal frame... Same thing.
    Try one ballast at a time, with them sitting next to the Spyder, like on a bucket or something. You may have a bad ballast that is shorting out. Been there too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Try one ballast at a time, with them sitting next to the Spyder, like on a bucket or something. You may have a bad ballast that is shorting out. Been there too.
    We are on the SAME page here. I disconnected the ground from both boxes because I had the positives soldered together. I could get it to start sometimes with one headlight and never with the other. Thought I had it all figured out and retested my theory and then it wouldn't start with either of them again

At the time, both ballast were not mounted to the spyder and hanging off the side from the wires
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 06-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are on the SAME page here. I disconnected the ground from both boxes because I had the positives soldered together. I could get it to start sometimes with one headlight and never with the other. Thought I had it all figured out and retested my theory and then it wouldn't start with either of them again

At the time, both ballast were not mounted to the spyder and hanging off the side from the wires
    Try reversing the feed wires from the stock lites that fire the system also if the battery is at all questionable it will do this like I said before foil wrapping for shielding also helped
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

You don't have the ballasts touching each other, do you? It's also a good idea to have as much separation as possible. However, your problem is a lot more complicated than what I had with my aftermarket hid's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just FYI-
    If you get tired of messing with it and go back to the stock lights but are worried about the holes you had to cut in the spyder rubber caps, I found these to work really good at blocking off the holes you cut in the rubber caps. http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...=81174&eq=&Tp= Also Available at any boat or trailer shop.
    You do have to make the hole a bit bigger but they fit real nice....
    Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Try reversing the feed wires from the stock lites that fire the system also if the battery is at all questiI nable it will do this like I said before foil wrapping for shielding also helped
    I will try this. I was going to hook up jumper cables from my truck to the spyder to eliminate all questions about the battery. I honestly think my battery charger experiment probably crossed it off the list but I will completely rule it out with jumper cables. I'm a little surprised you can switch that wire around on the headlights. In the instructions it says something about a relay exploding if the polarity isn't correct on something but I don't have the instructions in front of me now to better explain

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You don't have the ballasts touching each other, do you? It's also a good idea to have as much separation as possible. However, your problem is a lot more complicated than what I had with my aftermarket hid's.
    They are not touching each other but are mounted very close back to back with a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum in between along with the 3m sticky pads that they supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Just FYI-
    If you get tired of messing with it and go back to the stock lights but are worried about the holes you had to cut in the spyder rubber caps, I found these to work really good at blocking off the holes you cut in the rubber caps. http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...=81174&eq=&Tp= Also Available at any boat or trailer shop.
    You do have to make the hole a bit bigger but they fit real nice....
    Good Luck!
    Thanks I have some of those on the shelf. I was just going too glue a piece of tire inner tube over the hole
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 06-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

They are not touching each other but are mounted very close back to back with a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum in between along with the 3m sticky pads that they supply.

Thanks I have some of those on the shelf. I was just going too glue a piece of tire inner tube over the hole
    Not a good idea! The magnetic interference from the ballasts is multiplied with that kind of setup, greatly increasing the size and strength of the magnetic and electrical field, making it far more likely to cause interference with the cluster of ECM. You also have to be careful of grounds. A grounded ballast, or one grounded in teh wrong place, can cause a lots of interference. The CANbus doesn't like electrical interference, and the computers don't like magnetic or EF inteference.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife's bike gave us fits when we tried to start it. The high voltage spike after the motor starts and the lights fire up seemed to kill the ignition. I installed a direct FUSED line from the battery to a relay triggered by a wire that gets hot when the ignition switch is turned on. This way when the ignition is turned on the lights light so the electric surge is over when the bike starts. We have had NO problems since. The relay trigger takes very low current so can be hooked to any switched accessory wire in the fuse box. The direct feed wire from the battery eliminates all current draw through the Nanny. Also the lights stay on for twenty seconds after the key is turned off, until the time delay shuts off. If interested, PM and I can explain it better.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

is it really worth it..?? I would worry constantly that something might move and my spyder will do a back roll and curl up it's legs...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    My wife's bike gave us fits when we tried to start it. The high voltage spike after the motor starts and the lights fire up seemed to kill the ignition. I installed a direct FUSED line from the battery to a relay triggered by a wire that gets hot when the ignition switch is turned on. This way when the ignition is turned on the lights light so the electric surge is over when the bike starts. We have had NO problems since. The relay trigger takes very low current so can be hooked to any switched accessory wire in the fuse box. The direct feed wire from the battery eliminates all current draw through the Nanny. Also the lights stay on for twenty seconds after the key is turned off, until the time delay shuts off. If interested, PM and I can explain it better.
    I understand what you're saying and it is good solid logic but my spyder runs weird even when the fuse is pulled on the hot lead wire

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    is it really worth it..?? I would worry constantly that something might move and my spyder will do a back roll and curl up it's legs...
    NOPE!!!! Not worth it. I'm buying PIAA extreme white halogen bulbs and putting them in there. I'll take a picture of the HID lights and then after I put the extreme bulbs in and compare the two.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You couldn't find a decent way to move the ballasts farther apart and shield them a bit more?
    BUMMER!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi, i have hid on head and fog light without any problems
    i try a lot of brand and the only one without
    nany problems is KBcarstuff a sponsor
    http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Dig...s-p/xt-hid.htm
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post
    Hi, i have hid on head and fog light without any problems
    i try a lot of brand and the only one without
    nany problems is KBcarstuff a sponsor
    http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Dig...s-p/xt-hid.htm
    This IS the KBcarstuff kit that I'm fighting

Spyder Garage

Give them a call
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post
    Give them a call
    Already did. They've never heard of this type of issue .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Already did. They've never heard of this type of issue .
    Sure funny they never heard of this I called them with the same questions a month ago and they never heard of it then either but they were going to talk to Tec and call me back with an answer still waiting
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    i got to thinking if that works so would triggering the lites with the handlebar sw and then hitting the starter tried it and it works
    2 happy happy spyders