Spyder Garage

Default Got a LIMP MODE but no code tonight

Okay folks- MY TURN!

Tonight my wife and I were riding 2-up---- We were going about 50 MPH into a curve, I roll off the throttle some and ride the curve, then coming out of the curve, accelerate and BOOM---my DPS CHECK ENGINE light starts to flash- and I am in LIMP MODE---was able to continue a few miles and shifted just fine and got up to about 50 mph---to where I could turn off.

I turned off, and then put the bike into NEUTRAL and set the Parking brake. SHUT it off, removed the key.

Put the key back in, started it up- DPS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is OFF and we rode home just fine.

When we got home I tried to pull codes off the bike- and got nothing but a blank screen so no codes were caught.

The bike has 1130 miles on it and was bought back in December 2012.

I have been very very alert about having my foot anywhere near the brake pedal while riding. I have thought about the fact there as another motorcycle behind me in the curve and maybe my foot did hit the brake pedal but sure do NOT recollect that fact.

The bike is so new, I cannot even begin to think about any throttle body position issues or anything else either?

Checked my oil level when I got home it is still clean and nice since it's 600 miles service.

Any ideas from any of you "Senior" ryders?

When this happens, like many others have said, it sure breaks down one's confidence about the Spyder and it's reliability but the fact that after shut down, restart and all it ran fine and all lights and warnings were gone and no codes---maybe it really wasn't anything to worry about. (Fingers crossed and prayers lifted)

Thanks for any thoughts- comments and ideas---Maybe I am a dunce and didn't know it but like I say---I always make sure my foot stays on that foot peg unless I know I am coming to a stop.

Have a good evening and week ahead.

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

The codes have to be active to be displayed. If the triggering problem had cleared, you wouldn't see a code. The dealer can pull up the code history with BUDS. Please realize that under certain conditions the Spyder can sense a steering sensor mismatch, time out, and go into limp mode. Side winds or long curves can cause this. No codes will be shown by the time you can stop and check. Steering sensors that need to be calibrated can aggravate the wind/curve limp mode situation. Unless the problem is frequent or won't clear, it doesn't really need dealer attention. I think Miss Nanny just gets lonely, and needs occasional attention.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Mine has done this twice, same curve same bump. Not sure if front end gets off a little and throws the dps lite. I cut it off for a few seconds and problem goes away. I just run with it.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Spyder Garage

Default Very interesting fact

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The codes have to be active to be displayed. If the triggering problem had cleared, you wouldn't see a code. The dealer can pull up the code history with BUDS. Please realize that under certain conditions the Spyder can sense a steering sensor mismatch, time out, and go into limp mode. Side winds or long curves can cause this. No codes will be shown by the time you can stop and check. Steering sensors that need to be calibrated can aggravate the wind/curve limp mode situation. Unless the problem is frequent or won't clear, it doesn't really need dealer attention. I think Miss Nanny just gets lonely, and needs occasional attention.
    Hello Scotty:

Thanks for the "PROFESSIONAL" insight! It's greatly appreciated and to know the person after you posted said he has experienced this same thing twice makes me feel a little better.

The bike has been flawless in 1130 miles. We were shocked by this tonight. It was indeed after two fairly long curves indeed. The first curve was to the Right, the second was longer and to the left and winds were not a major issue this evening but speed was around 50 to 55 mph- The DPS check engine light and limp mode kicked on AFTER I had straightened out of the 2nd longer curve.

What is interesting to me too, wife's comment, you, me and the other person who stated he had experienced this event too, are all driving Viper Red Spyders--(Mine a 2012)

My dealer is Len- at Pitbull Powersports 3 hours away. There is a dealer closer to me, but think they may not be too happy with me since I almost bought from them but then ended up going to, Then, Cowtown and buying from Len there.

I think I'll let it go for now, check the battery connections etc., and see if this happens again. Amazes me that this machine has so many sensors on it that little things like "LONG CURVES" can somehow throw Nanny into a "What's up" scenario.

Very interesting as I am very confident it wasn't anything that I had done. I have done those curves before without a problem.

Thank you again for your insight and help!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for your experiences as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent K View Post
    Mine has done this twice, same curve same bump. Not sure if front end gets off a little and throws the dps lite. I cut it off for a few seconds and problem goes away. I just run with it.
    It is truly a blessing to have this forum available and all the experiences of others to help each other out.

It is interesting to note you too have had a similar situation with your (RED VIPER-RTS- SE5) as well. Make you wonder....or it does me anyways.

I have ridden these curves before with no issues, and bumps---this road has many, so not sure it there was one in play at the time or not. This was a second curve out of two, and it was the longer of the two and curved to the left where as the other curved to the right.

Like you, powered down, removed the key, powered up, restarted and boom- all fixed and acting perfectly normal.

Things like this sure can shake your confidence in BRP's product but nice to compare notes, and learn from others as well as realizing you are NOT alone in what you experience.

Thank you again for taking time to let me know what you have experienced pertaining to this as well.

I'll keep you posted---but am hoping it won't happen again too much!

Otherwise she will go back on the trailer and go visit the dealer and get examined!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Hello Scotty:

Thanks for the "PROFESSIONAL" insight! It's greatly appreciated and to know the person after you posted said he has experienced this same thing twice makes me feel a little better.

The bike has been flawless in 1130 miles. We were shocked by this tonight. It was indeed after two fairly long curves indeed. The first curve was to the Right, the second was longer and to the left and winds were not a major issue this evening but speed was around 50 to 55 mph- The DPS check engine light and limp mode kicked on AFTER I had straightened out of the 2nd longer curve.

What is interesting to me too, wife's comment, you, me and the other person who stated he had experienced this event too, are all driving Viper Red Spyders--(Mine a 2012)

My dealer is Len- at Pitbull Powersports 3 hours away. There is a dealer closer to me, but think they may not be too happy with me since I almost bought from them but then ended up going to, Then, Cowtown and buying from Len there.

I think I'll let it go for now, check the battery connections etc., and see if this happens again. Amazes me that this machine has so many sensors on it that little things like "LONG CURVES" can somehow throw Nanny into a "What's up" scenario.

Very interesting as I am very confident it wasn't anything that I had done. I have done those curves before without a problem.

Thank you again for your insight and help!
    Its is not just the Viper Red RT's Have had the same issue on a long bumpy curve on our 2010 Blue RT LOL.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Similar to what wife had on her 2010 RTS last week. Had just left a license checkpoint and drove about a mile when she called over the intercom that limp mode came on. Cycled key three times and all was well rest of the trip home. Checked codes and same thing, no active codes showed up. She has 12,000 miles on her Spyder. Took it to the dealer for state inspection and BUDS check. No active codes but dealer said it did show a steering sensor/computer disconnect, not active. Hasn't happened since.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Its is not just the Viper Red RT's Have had the same issue on a long bumpy curve on our 2010 Blue RT LOL.
    Have a 09 GS that went into limp mode on a sweeper. Nanny doesn't play favorites.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Same thing happened to me!

On my way home from Spyderfest, my 2012 RTS went into limp mode. Like you, I was making a long left turn with no foot near the brake, but I was traveling at 70mph in cruise control, when all of a sudden the cruise control kicked off and Nanny went into DPS Limp mode. I wasn't far from home, so I Limped it home and shut if off. My wife said she'd heard someone talking about turning off the bike for 10 or 15 minutes and maybe the computer would reset itself and run fine. I went out later and sure enough, the Spyder ran fine with no codes. Haven't had a problem since. My Spyder has over 8,000 miles on it and has been running great. It did go into limp mode once before with DPS, had Len at Pitbull check it out and he found a loose wire on the power steering. Maybe something to look into. Thanks for the post.
    2015 RTS Spyder, Intense Red Pearl, Baja-ron swaybar & links, Custom Dynamics trunk brake light, third & fourth brake lights from TricLED, Spyderpops bump skid, led lights on turn signals, Rear Elka shock, sheepskin seat cover & a new Black Freedom Trailer. We love our Spyder!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Okay folks- MY TURN!

Tonight my wife and I were riding 2-up---- We were going about 50 MPH into a curve, I roll off the throttle some and ride the curve, then coming out of the curve, accelerate and BOOM---my DPS CHECK ENGINE light starts to flash- and I am in LIMP MODE---was able to continue a few miles and shifted just fine and got up to about 50 mph---to where I could turn off.

I turned off, and then put the bike into NEUTRAL and set the Parking brake. SHUT it off, removed the key.

Put the key back in, started it up- DPS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is OFF and we rode home just fine.

When we got home I tried to pull codes off the bike- and got nothing but a blank screen so no codes were caught.

The bike has 1130 miles on it and was bought back in December 2012.

I have been very very alert about having my foot anywhere near the brake pedal while riding. I have thought about the fact there as another motorcycle behind me in the curve and maybe my foot did hit the brake pedal but sure do NOT recollect that fact.

The bike is so new, I cannot even begin to think about any throttle body position issues or anything else either?

Checked my oil level when I got home it is still clean and nice since it's 600 miles service.

Any ideas from any of you "Senior" ryders?

When this happens, like many others have said, it sure breaks down one's confidence about the Spyder and it's reliability but the fact that after shut down, restart and all it ran fine and all lights and warnings were gone and no codes---maybe it really wasn't anything to worry about. (Fingers crossed and prayers lifted)

Thanks for any thoughts- comments and ideas---Maybe I am a dunce and didn't know it but like I say---I always make sure my foot stays on that foot peg unless I know I am coming to a stop.

Have a good evening and week ahead.

In order to enjoy your Spyder and not get all paranoid about Miss Nanny you will have to develop a love hate relationship with the little B$&@h! When I do the Tail of the Dragon it is 311 Nannies in 11 miles! But no lasting issues. She is actually there to keep us from our baser destructive instincts! Just go for it enjoy pushing the envelope, say hello to her and ride off!

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto Here!

I also have one long, long sweeping curve I ride that is very gradual. 55 mph speed zone and can ride this particular curve up to 63 or so (speeding I know).. Mine will throw a code every time I go much faster than that and I have ridden much more severe curves without codes..Go figure..
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

My 2010 has done the same thing on our way to spyderfest. Among other problems pryer. She did not come home with me.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re-setting Limp Mode

Referring to your Post....
    See, I knew I had heard this before. (Ref: Reading other Posts concerning Limp Mode)

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Don't have a dog in this hunt, but, think about this. 75mph on a long interstate curve (legal speed) in heavy traffic. Bike goes into limp mode, slows to 50mph quickly. Would you be a little worried about somebody driving over you? I'm sorry guys but that is just something I don't think you should have to worry about.

Dwight