Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer and Reverse Problems

I drove my rt sm5 with trailer from Tucson AZ to Chattanooga TN. Somewhere along the trip I lost the lights to my trailer. I also lost the reverse as I could not activate the button on the bike. When we brought it to the can am dealership here in Chattanooga this is what they said--Tech found trailer module wires crushed and the module appears to have shorted out. Tech unplugged the trailer module and attached as stock, unit then went into reverse. everything appears to be working without the trailer module connected.-- So now we cannot use the trailer because if we plug it in, it shortens out the reverse and the bike then does not have reverse. The tech stated a $500.00 cost to repair this issue. If we can do this ourselves, we certainly will. THe tech said module cost is $216.50 and labor cost $255.00. Help Spyder Lovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had this happen last year and it was covered under warranty. If I remember correctly it was the trailer wiring harness that caused the problems.

What year is your Spyder and trailer? This was on my 2010 RT and 2010 trailer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had this happen last year and it was covered under warranty. If I remember correctly it was the trailer wiring harness that caused the problems.

What year is your Spyder and trailer? This was on my 2010 RT and 2010 trailer.
    The bike is a 2010 and the trailer is 2010. We were told at the dealership that it was not under warranty and we will certainly check again, however, what did they do to fix it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    The bike is a 2010 and the trailer is 2010. We were told at the dealership that it was not under warranty and we will certainly check again, however, what did they do to fix it.
    You have to replace the trailer module. Many of the 2010 modules failed, and the module was redesigned. Please note that you will no longer have separate turn signals on the trailer after the replacement...the signals will be combined with the brake lights.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My RT622 , same issue was covered under warranty,had 2 months left on my 2010 trailer. They needed the vin # from trailer to get ok from BRP, saved me $275 from cowtown

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Module

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    My RT622 , same issue was covered under warranty,had 2 months left on my 2010 trailer. They needed the vin # from trailer to get ok from BRP, saved me $275 from cowtown
    Is this the module we need to replace? http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...sinstructions/ We think this is the picture. Also, could this be a fuse problem and if so, is it the fuse box in the front of the bike?

Spyder Garage

The module being bad will blow the fuse (I remember being a 10 fuse in the frunk fusebox, but can't remember the location there). But that would not fix the issue, since I had the exact same problem going to Florida last year. Until you can get the module removed and/or replaced, you are without a reverse since the bad module will blow every single fuse you try to replace it that location. (part of the reason why the 2013's got new wiring)

My Spyder was under BEST warranty and got it replaced no charge. But if the is out of warranty, not much that can be done. Sorry to hear that.
    Last edited by bullant12; 06-03-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default a big thanks

Is this the module we need to replace? http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...sinstructions/ We think this is the picture. Also, could this be a fuse problem and if so, is it the fuse box in the front of the bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    The module being bad will blow the fuse (I remember being a 10 fuse in the frunk fusebox, but can't remember the location there). But that would not fix the issue, since I had the exact same problem going to Florida last year. Until you can get the module removed and/or replaced, you are without a reverse since the bad module will blow every single fuse you try to replace it that location. (part of the reason why the 2013's got new wiring)

My Spyder was under BEST warranty and got it replaced no charge. But if the is out of warranty, not much that can be done. Sorry to hear that.
    Thank you so much. This really helped and we are going to replace the module.

Spyder Garage

The only thing that changed on my 2010 rt 622 after the module change on the bike was, I only had red rear trailer turn signals, no longer amber. No biggie.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    The only thing that changed on my 2010 rt 622 after the module change on the bike was, I only had red rear trailer turn signals, no longer amber. No biggie.
    I just had this same thing happen to me this week on my 2010 RTS. I have the old harness out and need to get the updated one. Did your plug on your trailer still attach to the new module like the old one? Where is the best place to get just the updated harness?

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

5th picture from the top is the trailer module. Had mine replaced after loosing trailer lights and reverse. Kept blowing fuse F7 in the frunk, I believe. It also was responsible for my CB broadcasting a ton of noise every time I pushed the PTT button. Mine was covered by warranty, but this was before the warranty period was up.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly