Thread: Losing coolant

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

I have a continuing problem with coolant coming out of the overflow tube on the coolant resivor bottle. Any thoughts on what can cause this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rayeade View Post
    I have a continuing problem with coolant coming out of the overflow tube on the coolant resivor bottle. Any thoughts on what can cause this.

Have you checked its level. Sounds like it may be overfilled. If you are sure it is coming from there.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two common problems are a cracked coolant box, or a loose clamp on the hose. Odds are it is one of those... and hopefully the second one... which is an easy fix.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Typical cause is not having the coolant cap tightend all the way to the second detent.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

If from the overflow it is the cap is not seated all the way. When installing the cap you will find it locks on at half a turn which is the safety so the cap doesn't fly off if checking hot. You will have to continue to tighten to the second position to have the full seal and avoid blowing out the over flow...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

Cap is tightened correctly and the lose of coolant only happens after I turn the spyder off.

Spyder Garage

Cap is tightened correctly and the lose of coolant only happens after I turn the spyder off.

If you are absouletly sure the cap is tightened correctly to the second detent, the pressure cap may be faulty. Your symptoms are classic signs of a cap that won't hold pressure. If the Spyder is also overheating, then that could be the cause. In that case a loose or faulty fan relay, failed fan, or stuck thermostat could be the problem...among other causes. I'd take a real close look at that cap first, though, if the temp gauge reads normal. I'd remove it and retighten, and go from there.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One more thought

Scotty and the others are right in their thoughts. I wonder if your radiators could be full of dirt, bugs and road debris. But that would make it run hot all the time.

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

When it lost a pint on a ride yesterday the first time I did remove and retighten the cap. This is 2013 RT Ltd that only has about 1000 miles on it. There is no way there is anything blocking the fan that I can see. The bike was running normal when it lost coolant, it was not running hot at all. The second time it lost about another pint (at least my impression) it was still not running hot, the gauge was moving between the four and five block on the gauge. The rest of the ride home it was high in the six block to the en block just before the red zone. The bike did it a third time when I shut it down at my house and the check engine light came on, the high temp light and the engine overheating message was displayed on the multi-display screen.

Spyder Garage

When it lost a pint on a ride yesterday the first time I did remove and retighten the cap. This is 2013 RT Ltd that only has about 1000 miles on it. There is no way there is anything blocking the fan that I can see. The bike was running normal when it lost coolant, it was not running hot at all. The second time it lost about another pint (at least my impression) it was still not running hot, the gauge was moving between the four and five block on the gauge. The rest of the ride home it was high in the six block to the en block just before the red zone. The bike did it a third time when I shut it down at my house and the check engine light came on, the high temp light and the engine overheating message was displayed on the multi-display screen.

It is overheating. First check to see that the fan is working at 6 bars or higher on the gauge. If not it could be a loose or faulty fan relay, or a bad fan. If that is OK it is likely a thermostat or water pump problem. Time to see your dealer.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

Update to my coolant loss problem. My Spyder has been at the dealer since Monday. I called today and they have confirmed that it loses coolant but can not determine the cause. They are waiting for a BRP rep to show up. I just wonder how long this is going to take.

Spyder Garage

Question

Update to my coolant loss problem. My Spyder has been at the dealer since Monday. I called today and they have confirmed that it loses coolant but can not determine the cause. They are waiting for a BRP rep to show up. I just wonder how long this is going to take.

They can't tell where it is coming from but it was leaking enough that you noticed it?

Really? What's up with them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If its like most dealers the weather will be cold when you get it back and then it won't overheat! Keep on them daily do not assume they are doing anything. Waiting for a BRP Rep to show up is ridiculous. Is the rep going to take his suit off and start wrenching on the bike? If they don't have a trained tech start calling other dealers now. Don't let this turn into a marathon like so many have gone through here already. Your bike has a warrantee that any Dealer must honor.

Spyder Garage

If the vehicle is overheating, the first thing to do is replace the thermostat. If that doesn't do it, the water pump is suspect. There are other possibilities, but this would cure 99%. I'd worry about a tech who couldn't figure this out without calling his mama. These guys that think the computer diagnostics can tell them everything and replace basic mechanical knowledge and skills, have a long way to go!
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-08-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

I am planning to visit the dealer this morning and find out exactly what has been done.

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

Talked to the shop supervisor and he is going to replace the tank, cap and thermostat. The parts are on order. I will be able to use it until they get the parts in. I plan on carrying a gallon of coolant with me.

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

Latest update parts are on order and will be in hopefully Tuesday and I am scheduled to go back that afternoon. I currently have the use of my Spyder. They replaced the radiator cap with a new one and said the original one looked like it had been damaged.

Spyder Garage

Question

Latest update parts are on order and will be in hopefully Tuesday and I am scheduled to go back that afternoon. I currently have the use of my Spyder. They replaced the radiator cap with a new one and said the original one looked like it had been damaged.

Let us know if it continues to

rayeade

Default Losing coolant

Went for a ride with the wife for about 50 miles and no problems at all.