Spyder Garage

Default My trip to the Shop with a Review of SPYDERPOPS CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD

I purchased my 2011 RT at Daytona Fun Machines even though its about 85 south of where I live. I took it back there today t0 install some new farkle: BRP rear speakers (that went well), Custom Dynamics Rear Brightsides (that went well, and the crew it the shop were impressed) and Spyderpops catalytic converter shield. The shop didn't finish me up till 3 by which time it was drizzling. I got on 95 north and immediately noticed that cruise control wouldn't engage. I made it about 50 miles to St Augustine when it went into limp mode. I called the shop and they said restart the bike and bring it back. So I turned around and drove 50 miles back in the rain (it wasn't drizzle any more) and made it there at 5:15. The tech said the brake linkage rod was hanging up on the heat shield---he did a little surgery and cut away a small piece of the shield--the test ride confirmed the brake linkage was releasing and the cruise control was engaging. I got back on the road and drove the 85 miles home, in the rain, and had no problems. I must admit the heat was way less than normal so the shields may well be doing their job--however I need to reserve judgment until I can test it when the road isn't soaked from rain. When I got off my exit I was tired and felt I deserved a small reward for a tough day and proceeded to my local Chinese takeout. I placed my order then sat down and looked out the window to admire my bike in the parking lot---WITH ITS BRAKE LIGHTS ON. Apparently the saga continues.

Spyder Garage

Question

Did you drop and reinstall the brake rod when you installed the heat shield. If not.......that B your problem.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default IDK

I gave the shop the install instructions--anyone's guess how closely he followed them. I note however this shop has installed all my farkle and this was the first item with an issue.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    I gave the shop the install instructions--anyone's guess how closely he followed them. I note however this shop has installed all my farkle and this was the first item with an issue.
    I think if you go to spyderpops web site the instructions are there. Can't remember if there's a pic of what it should look like once installed, but if there is.....compare the two. Unless you have a very small head, you'll have to jack it up some. And, if you wear glasses it's even harder to focus when things are that tight.......how do I know this......guess? Best a luck.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Did you drop and reinstall the brake rod when you installed the heat shield. If not.......that B your problem.

It is a very tight fit when installing the heat shield in regard to the brake rod. My guess would be the shield is restricting the rod movement. If I remember right, you have to remove the rod in order to slip the shied into place. This is working on the ground to install, so if the dealer lifts the bike up they might not have to remove the rod. This is just my limited understanding of it.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default ==

they definitely had it on a lift

Spyder Garage

Default My trip to the Shop with a Review of SPYDERPOPS CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD

Here are the instructions direct from SpyderPops site. They probably missed a step!!

http://www.spyderpops.com/resources/...CTIONS_opt.pdf

http://www.spyderpops.com/resources/...CTIONS_opt.pdf

KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Cool --

and I do have a small head but it doesn't have eyes

Spyder Garage

Installed mine, it is a tight fit with the brake rod, they may not have dropped it?
    Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    and I do have a small head but it doesn't have eyes
    Check your forum E-mail. I sent you a PM and I can offer help on some of your Mods. I'm just up the road from you.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    There's also a tab on the very front of the shield that is supposed to be sandwiched, under the plate, where the peg attaches (has chrome screws). Early on, my mechanic left that peace on the back side of the plate, instead of between it and the black lower Tupperware. That causes the piece to hang up and the pedal doesn't clear properly. It's easy to detect. If you look at the reflection along the shield, it should be pretty uniform. Any bowing and it's not installed properly (this may no longer be true if they trimmed something off). You can also reach down and see if you can move the front of the shield by hand. It should be mounted solidly. It's a darned close fit, but should never interfere, if installed properly.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I figured out the brake lights are turning on when I engage the parking brake. If I tap the foot brake the lights go off. This started when the heat shields were installed. I can live with the setup as is but I'm concerned there's more going on. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My saga with brakelights is also ongoing...
    The microswitch that activates the brakelights must be a delicate little sucker; mine came apart and spit pieces down at me!
    Needless to say; the bike is being trailered to the hospital for a transplant...
    I don't know if I swatted that switch while tucking the shield up in place or not; but it's certainly a likely possiblility!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black