Spyder Garage

Default Seat options - ST

Looking for aftermarket solution for wife's ST seat. Trying to find a seat that you don't have to lift/unlatch/raise/etc in order to be able to gas fill. I know Corbin's system has an access panel for this. Any other solutions out there?
    Trying to avoid having to remove gear strapped down on rear of seat on long trips every time my wife and I stop for gas. Get's annoying pretty quickly. I'm not too much of a fan of Cobin seats - the wife has never had one and it is her ride so this may be a none-issue. But before committing to a Corbin, thought I'd query if anyone knows of any other aftermarket solution on this.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    --------------------
    '12 1199 Panigale
    '99 Triumph ST
    Chief mechanic for wife's '13 Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

I just purchased an Ultimate for my wife's '08 GS. Ultimate told me that it also fits the new ST. That being said, I would guess that any after-market seat for the GS/RS should fit the ST. If you find one that has the fuel door feature for the RS, you should be able to consider it for your ST.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default fuel door

you can put in your own fuel door. search the mods board.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Well I discovered today that the STOCK 2009 RS seat does NOT fit on a 2013 ST-S.

The latching pin is about 1" too far forward and the rectangular housing that the latch pin is in hits on the bracket long before the pin contacts the latch.

I wanted to use my RS seat as it was customized for me by Kontour and has the Kontour polar mesh covering which, after 30k miles on one, I won't ride without (it's that good.)

That said, Ultimate (or Corbin or whomever) made for an RS might fit the ST due to differences in design (more adjustment in the pin position or hinge position). Or, I might not have any idea what I'm doing... it's been known to happen.

If you have an RS seat, doesn't hurt to try it. But if you're looking at buying one, be careful.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for replies.

Primary consideration is fuel access. Either via a fuel door (aka Corbin) or a two-piece seat with passenger seat staying in place while operator seat is raised/lifted (also aka Corbin) to gain access to fuel fill cap.
    Any seat can be reworked by competent manufacturer (I prefer Sargent) so comfort is secondary consideration in looking at aftermarket.
    Someone suggested a DIY fuel door. And while that is a possibility, I'd prefer to survey what's available as an aftermarket solution. I don't like the the idea of chopping up a stock seat - if only for any future potential resale value hit.
    --------------------
    '12 1199 Panigale
    '99 Triumph ST

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM90 View Post
    I don't like the the idea of chopping up a stock seat - if only for any future potential resale value hit.
    You can always pick up a stock seat cheap and swap that in if you sell it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Well I discovered today that the STOCK 2009 RS seat does NOT fit on a 2013 ST-S.

The latching pin is about 1" too far forward and the rectangular housing that the latch pin is in hits on the bracket long before the pin contacts the latch.

I wanted to use my RS seat as it was customized for me by Kontour and has the Kontour polar mesh covering which, after 30k miles on one, I won't ride without (it's that good.)

That said, Ultimate (or Corbin or whomever) made for an RS might fit the ST due to differences in design (more adjustment in the pin position or hinge position). Or, I might not have any idea what I'm doing... it's been known to happen.

If you have an RS seat, doesn't hurt to try it. But if you're looking at buying one, be careful.
    The seat pan for the ST, RS and GS are essentually identical, not sure why the one you tried didn't work but the forward pin can be moved more than one inch front to back and well over 1 inch in and out.

in this thread you can see an Ultimate seat, built on a 2009 GS pan that came off my wife's 2008 GS fits the ST-S perfectly. If you check BRP parts books you'll see the seat pan p/n is the same for the RS and the ST. The GS and the RS are the same bike.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=Ultimate

Spyder Garage

Measured the seat pan itself and it's 3/8ths longer than the ST seat.

The pin can be aligned without issue, but the rectangular block that the pin is mounted to impacts the painted surface of the Y panel.

I've got it to the point where it can be closed, but it's tight and it will definitely wear down that painted part as well as the right at the center of the y-panel. Not sure if the seat will wear more than the panel or not

Anyhow, it's on there. And I hate the STS stock seat enough that I'll deal with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll need to measure the two wheni get back from the Spyder event but my guess is the 3/8" difference didn't matter on ours (if my 2 pans are different) due to manufacturing tolerances. I would think you could easily grind/sand the portion of the offending pan to prevent the interference. Certainly worth the effort if you have a custom seat on the longer pan and can't stand the stock seat.

Spyder Garage

Love my Corbin!

Let's Roll

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I haven't found a seat with a fuel door other than Corbin.
    Had one on my RS - but, I'm looking for other options for my new ST-L. Considering Russell and Ultimate.
    I have the rear seat bag and I am looking for quick release extension straps to run under the seat in stead of through the passenger grips.

Perhaps attaching luggage that way might help? Just a thought.

Now, I have to go find the mod board post that tells how to add a fuel door to other seats!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Seat options - ST

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCat View Post
    I haven't found a seat with a fuel door other than Corbin.
    Had one on my RS - but, I'm looking for other options for my new ST-L. Considering Russell and Ultimate.
    I have the rear seat bag and I am looking for quick release extension straps to run under the seat in stead of through the passenger grips.

Perhaps attaching luggage that way might help? Just a thought.

Now, I have to go find the mod board post that tells how to add a fuel door to other seats!
    The ultimate seat has a fuel door also. Saw one recently was very well made imho

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    The ultimate seat has a fuel door also. Saw one recently was very well made imho

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    only on the RT seat, not the ST / RT seat.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    only on the RT seat, not the ST / RT seat.
    Correct.
    I contacted Ultimate and they have no plans on adding a fuel door to the seats for ST or RS models.

Spyder Garage

We ordered a Corbin. Fuel door is nice but what really was important was being able to move/lift front rider seat while leaving rear one in place while fueling (because we'll be loading up the passenger seat area with lugagge/etc and that would be a serious pain to have to untie/unload 2 or 3 20 liter Kriega dry bags every time we stopped for gas).

Never been much of a Corbin fan but it's the wife's ride - not mine. She can sit on what she wants. I just install it.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.
    --------------------
    '12 1199 Panigale
    '99 Triumph ST